An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts about 2020, the election, etc.

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

Same. I try to be objective and listen to viewpoints from various news outlets and I just think most of it is distorted and spin. Especially during an election year. It's enough spinning to make one dizzy. 

Last year I subscribed to the paper version of the Wall Street Journal. I always got my news a day late. It was wonderful, unbiased, and so non-internety.

Ash Wednesday

Honestly I don't have a particular reason to post this picture of Justice Scalia smoking a pipe at his hearing. I just really like it.

I0000xoPRR2.Sr34.jpg

On 10/22/2020 at 8:21 PM, chrysostom said:

I don't trust a word they say, including words like "the" and "and".

I believe "the".  I don't believe "and".

1 hour ago, Ash Wednesday said:

Honestly I don't have a particular reason to post this picture of Justice Scalia smoking a pipe at his hearing. I just really like it.

I0000xoPRR2.Sr34.jpg

Looks like something from The Godfather.

Ash Wednesday
55 minutes ago, Didacus said:

*sigh*  suppose my french was showing again...

Close enough, I thought it was pretty funny. We'll count the votes and proceed to light fireworks and blow stuff up either way!

1 hour ago, Ash Wednesday said:

Close enough, I thought it was pretty funny. We'll count the votes and proceed to light fireworks and blow stuff up either way!

:)

Actually, a bunch of stores and shops in the USA are boarding up, gun sales are rising.

People are getting ready for the worse.

Not too late to come to Canada for a week or two if you're up to it!?

Ash Wednesday
7 hours ago, Didacus said:

Actually, a bunch of stores and shops in the USA are boarding up, gun sales are rising.

I'm American but in the UK so I'll be ok! We'll be the ones blowing stuff up.  :wacko:

The head of UK remains the same for Canada: queen Elizabeth.  Canafa remains part of the common wealth, so pretty much the same.

11 hours ago, Didacus said:

Yeah the price of ammo shot through the roof a couple months ago in the US. Almost impossible to get. Dunno if the prices have come down yet.

But luckily Peace is already well stocked up for the impending revolution.

Ash Wednesday

So I looked it up, and it's apparently OK to call it Guy Fawkes Day, too. 

To me as an American I think it's a bit of a strange holiday. Originally it celebrated the foiling of the Gunpowder Plot and arrest of Guy Fawkes, the Catholic who wanted to blow up Protestant Parliament and King James and "Make England Catholic Again." And it was historically a holiday with deep rooted anti-Catholicism where people would burn effigies of the pope.

Britain being largely secular and indifferent about religion now, I tend to see more effigies of political figures being burned than the pope. Though sadly there are still displays of anti-Catholicism at the traditional bonfires in Lewes and Cliffe. I suppose that's why I have limited interest and don't take part in the holiday. In general though, most people regardless of religion (or lack of) just light up fireworks and maybe say "ain't history something?" I'd almost say that with the popularization of the Guy Fawkes mask, Guy Fawkes is almost portrayed in some circles as being some kind of cool rebel figure. 

Guy Fawkes is in modern days a rebel figure for sure.

He represents rebellion against oppressive governments more so than religious feud.

His own plot, was political, not religious although of course per history of England religion jas a strong back drop to politics.