An Old School Catholic Message Board

Traditional Benedictines of the Strict Observance

PaxCordisJesu

PaxCordisJesu

There's a new order of Cistercian monks in Kentucky who use the Tridentine Rite. I don't know anything about their history, does anybody know anything? Seems like there are traditional Benedictine communities for men popping up all over the place (Clear Creek, Norcia Benedictines, Silverstream Priory, Notre Dame Priory in Tasmania, and now this). I wish there were as many traditional Benedictine nuns...

https://www.benedictiniso.org/

They aren’t formally speaking Cistercian as such, they aren’t aggregated to the Order. According to their website they are a private association of the faithful. It is unclear if there is more than one person involved. The website was only created in April of this year and was registered anonymously. I could not find a location mentioned on the website. There is a post on the Catholic Answes message board from Gemma who is/was a member here, saying this private association of the faithful (with, as of May, a single member) is in the Covington KY diocese. Here is the relevant page on the diocesan website; this association is not mentioned.

How did you come across this?

I'm sure you could send it a message on their website for an answer to your question.

The Catholic Answers forum post says thus, after which the forum poster asks all questions to be directed to the contact on the website:

"I’ve been corresponding with a young gentleman in the Diocese of Covington, KY, who is working with his bishop on a new Benedictine congregation. The name of the project is the Benedictines of the Primitive Observance. Here’s the website he has created."

So yes, it does seem very nascent. If you have questions about its relationship with the diocese I'm sure you can contact the diocese itself. In any case there is just not much to go on, nor really much to say in a forum like this.

A religious order I know which is doing well and expanding was started by two friends just out of college. Monasteries come and go. I wish this one well.

Edited by chrysostom

Don't know of any such Benedictines here. maybe there was one listed in the book Convent Life by Joan Lexcau. I thought the sisters at Regina Laudis Monastery  in Conneticut? were, not to sure. Also, you might go to Internet Archive.org They have a Guide to catholic Sisterhoods in the United States by Rev. Thomas P.McCarthy, 1955, and I think another edition 1962. You can also go to Hathi Trust library and find the book on line too. Haven't seen  Convent Life on line yet.You can get it though  through an interlibrary loan.I have. You can check ebay too for a copy, but it will not be cheap.

PaxCordisJesu

Yes, I found them through the Catholic Answers Forums post the chrysostom mentioned, and was just wondering how many monks they had, whether they separated from another order to start their own, etc. 

The fact that new religious communities who haven't even two or three decades of existence can call themselves "primitive" never cease to amaze me... words doesn't have meanings anymore...

PaxCordisJesu

They don't actually call themselves "primitive", I think this was a mistype on the Catholic Answers post. They call themselves Benedictines of the Strict Observance, in other words, Cistercians.