An Old School Catholic Message Board

HOCKEY - THE THOUGHEST ATHLETES!

Didacus

8 hours ago, picchick said:

I don't know if you can say that.  According to the article, boxing is the toughest sport.  So wouldn't it follow that they have the toughest athletes?

Hockey = toughest team sport athletes.

You can only go so far with those '1 man shows'.

If we are talking team sports, then yes, hockey is the toughest team sport and it would follow that hockey players are the toughest team sport athletes.

However, according to the article the toughest sport is boxing.  So then it would follow that they are the toughest athlete.

I couldn't find any other reputable studies to back up who would be the toughest athlete.  It was all opinion pieces

12 minutes ago, picchick said:

If we are talking team sports, then yes, hockey is the toughest team sport and it would follow that hockey players are the toughest team sport athletes.

However, according to the article the toughest sport is boxing.  So then it would follow that they are the toughest athlete.

I couldn't find any other reputable studies to back up who would be the toughest athlete.  It was all opinion pieces

I have read different places that boxing is morally dubious, because in that sport the goal is to knock the other person out - cause them injury.  Whereas with hockey, rugby, football, the assault is incidental to the actual goal (getting the ball or puck into the "endzone")

But we have upright Catholic organizations here (eg Mercy Homes) which hold boxing tournaments for charity (police vs fire). IDK.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, picchick said:

I play ice hockey and, prior to COVID shutting down the Chicago Park District programs, did boxing as well (yes, including sparring).  I've also done some martial arts (Degerberg blend).  With that in mind, I would say that the toughest athletes would in MMA, since they have to train in multiple disciplines (plus, armbars and being slammed to the ground and the like take a lot out of your body once you leave the young adult years).

On 11/11/2020 at 9:50 AM, Lilllabettt said:

I have read different places that boxing is morally dubious, because in that sport the goal is to knock the other person out - cause them injury.  Whereas with hockey, rugby, football, the assault is incidental to the actual goal (getting the ball or puck into the "endzone")

But we have upright Catholic organizations here (eg Mercy Homes) which hold boxing tournaments for charity (police vs fire). IDK.

Also, the CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) and Bishop Sheil were the early promoters of Golden Gloves (at least in Chicago).  

Edited by Norseman82