An Old School Catholic Message Board

Toca de Assis - What's the story here?

Religious-Vocation

Religious-Vocation

I am trying to research the founder, Roberto Lettieri, over an alleged scandal that occurred years ago. But I have not been able to find any info on it, nor on the current status of this community (whether they disavowed the founder, etc.).... 

If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it. 

-Davide

I found a Roberto Lettieri on Facebook who is involved with the Catholic Church.  He has an email address listed too.  Could he be the guy you’re looking for?  You could do a search for his name on Facebook and check out his page.

FromNCROnline

"Certainly it’s painful when you see the expansion of a movement that presents itself as charismatic, and then the unworthiness of its initiator is revealed. How such a thing is possible remains a mystery, and the Legionaries aren’t the only instance. In Brazil, we had the case of Toca de Assis. It was a community which wore a Franciscan-style habit and which got a lot of attention, inserting itself into the Canção nova [a Brazilian network of groups loosely affiliated with the charismatic movement]. They created a strong image of themselves, with brothers who claimed to render glory to God by singing and dancing. They had recruited six hundred young men. It was later discovered, however, that the founder engaged in morally unworthy behavior with his followers."