An Old School Catholic Message Board

In this time of Pandemic

Jaime

Nurses, doctors, truck drivers, Target employees grocery store workers are all essential workers meaning they don’t have the option to shut down.  If they don’t work society suffers.  They have to be at risk of COVID or they have to quit.  

Teachers are not considered essential workers. 

I think they should be.

Teachers are essential - in the long run.

Short term (say 6 month span)... a little less.

Except for those who are homeschooling I guess?  Maybe the pandemic is the universe trying to convince everyone to homeschool from now on?

2 hours ago, elizabeth09 said:

I think so, because homeschooling is better for the child.

That would be great! I know several families that are homeschooling and it's worked out.  But in real life, very few families have the financial means or the proper skill sets to homeschool.  

Parents are suffering with this online learning.  Kids are suffering with it too.  

15 hours ago, Jaime said:

Nurses, doctors, truck drivers, Target employees grocery store workers are all essential workers meaning they don’t have the option to shut down.  If they don’t work society suffers.  They have to be at risk of COVID or they have to quit.  

Teachers are not considered essential workers. 

I think they should be.

Are you implying that people who teach online aren't working?

40 minutes ago, Hna.Caridad said:

I'm not implying anything.  I'm stating imo that teachers should be considered essential workers.  In person teaching is preferred by most students and certainly by most parents.  

With online teaching, the instructor is working.  But the student has to work harder and the parents have to work with the online instruction.  with in person teaching, the teacher and the student don't have to work harder and the parent can work on the day job instead of being essentially a paraprofessional

On 11/21/2020 at 10:40 PM, Jaime said:

I believe teachers are essential workers.

come at me

Well. The way society has been set up, they are. Or rather, schools are essential. 

In Fall 2019 we had a teachers strike. The teachers said their strike was "for the children." They campaigned for all sorts of social supports to be delivered to poor children in our city public schools. The strike was called off when they got these things ... and a 15% raise. 6 months later, covid hit. The public schools were closed, but prepared to open in the fall. However the teachers said, if they did, they would strike. So the public schools have remained closed, and no students have been getting the social supports the teachers supposedly desperately wanted them to have.

The Catholic schools here remained open for summer school and opened on time in the fall. There have not been serious problems (with about 80,000 catholic school students citywide.)  I think once or twice a building had to close for a week. Nobody has become seriously ill. 

7 hours ago, Didacus said:

Teachers are essential - in the long run.

Short term (say 6 month span)... a little less.

Except for those who are homeschooling I guess?  Maybe the pandemic is the universe trying to convince everyone to homeschool from now on?

What do you mean "in the long run?"

Yes, teacher are importing, but is it better online, then going to school right now?

9 hours ago, Hna.Caridad said:

When I die and go to hell, I will be sentenced to teach online for all eternity. And my online teaching skills will not be able to keep up with the technological innovations. Just like now. I'm working more but teaching less.

15 hours ago, Jaime said:

I'm not implying anything.  I'm stating imo that teachers should be considered essential workers.  In person teaching is preferred by most students and certainly by most parents.  

With online teaching, the instructor is working.  But the student has to work harder and the parents have to work with the online instruction.  with in person teaching, the teacher and the student don't have to work harder and the parent can work on the day job instead of being essentially a paraprofessional

You’re not a public school teacher, are you? 

Because if you were, and you were suffering through “blended learning” / “simultaneous teaching,” you’d never ever say something like “the instructor is working, but the student has to work harder.” That may make sense in your brain, where you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about, but in the real world, it’s very much NOT the case. 

At all. Not even a little. 

7 hours ago, Luigi said:

When I die and go to hell, I will be sentenced to teach online for all eternity. And my online teaching skills will not be able to keep up with the technological innovations. Just like now. I'm working more but teaching less.

+ 1 billion

Not sure if you watch the show Schitts Creek on Netflix, but there’s a great video someone made about teachers begging for guidance on just what the heck we’re doing this year with blended learning“Just fold it in”

I think through this scene at least 5 times a day. 

Edited by kujonicus