An Old School Catholic Message Board

After a long time I have been considering returning to the Catholic Church...

Cabshear

Credo in Deum

Welcome back!

In my own struggles with faith I've found that it was best to start at the foundations. 

1. Is there a God? (My conclusion was, Yes)

2. Is God one? (My conclusion was, Yes)

3. Who is God?  (My conclusion was, God has revealed Himself in the Person of Jesus Christ, which then lead to my acceptance of the Trinity)

4. Did this God have a Religion? (My conclusion was, Yes, Christianity-Catholicism)

Faith is not a blind acceptance of something unproven but an acceptance that there exist things which, while not contrary to physical reality, logic and reason, transcend these things.  Faith in a person is also reasonable if the person is credible and trustworthy. 

I think Ven Archbishop Fulton Sheen wrote a great piece which expressed the credibility of Christ which can be found here:

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2015/12/25/person-ever-pre-announced/

To me faith in Christ and in His Church came from accepting that both are credible and therefore worthy of my trust. 

As for the Pope and political views there is not much more to say that others haven't.  You're required only to accept the dogmas of the Church and a Pope's political view isn't considered dogma. 

Edited by Credo in Deum

Dear Cabshear,

Our Catholic faith is universal. It embraces all people with love and acceptance what we have lost in our church is the mystic tradition. This Tradition is being reclaimed had a grassroots level in the church. What you may not know is that centering prayer, which is being taught by many theologians and spiritual directors steeped in the mystical tradition, shares at deeper level prayer practices of the mystical tradition which Buddhism never lost. 

The church has never taught that other religions I satanic, except those who proclaim to worship Satan. Anyone with theological or authentic scripture study background who follows church teaching would never make pharisaical judgments about Other people's faith. Even in the Bible, tells us we will be judged by how we relate two other people and by the values by which we live and behave. 

with regard to the pope and the hierarchical church, we have to realize that’s the church it’s not the hierarchy the church is the people of God. As people of God, As church we are called to love one another, to act justly, and to walk humbly with our God. The Eucharist is not Eucharist without the presence of the People of God.  Like all of us human beings priest bishops and even popes have to be very special people in order to avoid the temptation of seeking power, keeping people suppressed,  and submissi be.  The church hierarchy is often slow to follow the movement of the spirit especially if the movement of the spirit is enlightening and liberating.  One of the gifts of being a Catholic is that the basis of all teaching is that Catholics have to act according to their conscience and this surpasses all rules and regulations.I our Faith development like any other can be stunted  The lowest level of faith development is when we live by rules and think in black-and-white without considering that life has many gray areas and cause forcing us love and compassion rather than abiding by the rules and regulation.  The highest stage of faith development is when we embrace a life of compassion understanding and empathy and move away from black and white and rules and make choices according to our conscience and relationship with God.  Do not doubt your experiences and do not look outside yourself for answers trust the God who is within you to show you the way And balance that with what the gospel Tells us about how to live. Every faith Tradition has something to teach us. As Catholics we make a choice that our tradition and the way we worship feeds our spirit And brings us closer to God. 

The Catholic way may not be the way for the other people to come closer to God and we have to respect that and look for the good in others. I am speaking as one who was not born into the Catholic faith but after searching in many different faiths discovered and chose Catholicism  because the ritual Tradition we are praying it’s what feeds my so. 

I often wonder if those born into Catholicism have ever truly studied our faith in any depth and made a choice to live the faith fully or do they by into the piety while condemning  other feeds, judging many people he did not comply with their way of doing things, condemning people without understanding where they’re coming from I’m laying down laws never  understanding where they originated.  What’s that about Jesus accused the Pharisees of?  Do you know that when you look at Jesus‘s words in the gospel 99% of the words I’ll condemning what the Pharisees did and said and in the hole of the gospel Jesus only mentions divorce once.  What does that tell you about the message Jesus is trying to teach us?

I love my church I love the way in with her practice my faith, but it saddens me that we are seen as a church that considers itself elite, above the rest, condemning people who are different to us.  And many times it is not the priest or the bishop but the person in the pew next to me. 
Cabsher you are a person Seeking God trust God will find you and trust your own inner wisdom for within you God breathes and lives

On 12/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, Cabshear said:

Greetings, 

I apologize upfront for how long this post is. 

Many many years ago I was on this forum, pretty much everyday. I grew up in a passionately protestant home, particularly Orthodox Presbyterian Church. I was homeschooled and Christianity was the only reality I knew. Many other religions were somewhat cast in a demonic or semi-demonic light, even peaceful religions like Buddhism and Hinduism were just false fronts for Satanism. Dungeons and Dragons was a fun and entertaining way to sell off your soul to Satan, and of course Pokemon was right in line behind it.  :rotfl2:

Being the first child of four in a homeschool environment there was a lot of responsibility on my shoulders. Please, don't get me wrong, now that I am in my early 30's I regret nothing of how I was raised, actually I am more thankful of it now, than I ever really have been. I was introduced to Catholicism by my high school girlfriend, and it caused some chaos - to say the least. After being slammed by pastors, elders and parents for want to be an "idolator" and made to read books like Catholicism by L. Boettner I found support and solace on the Phatmass forum. Talking with fellow Catholics. 

Being the curious fellow I began studying and practicing eastern philosophy and my time with Catholicism faded. I became a Buddhist, studied Hindu religion, as well other obscure and rather odd practices like Wicca and other neo-pagan concepts. More regrettable studies lead me to the Church of Satan as well as the Temple of Set. While I didn't really last long in those practices what all this studying has done has worked well to confuse me. While I do have a desire to return to Christianity, particularly to my Catholic home, I have become rather agonistic on the subject of religion. Faith to me seems to be "just take my word for it, I can't really provide suitable evidence for any of it." Thank you Richard Dawkins and company. 

It's rather odd to not only describe, but experience! The desire to return to mass and do things like pray the rosary, while at the same time feel rather silly for doing it. 

So I guess my point is, how to get away from the confusion and heavy doubt? Is Faith really believing in something you don't really have a reason (or evidence) to believe in? Is there ego in this deep unwillingness to go back to confession and admit that I have been bouncing around like a ping pong ball for that past 10 years? Is the Church where I truly belong? How can I submit to the Church when I have very serious disagreements with the Holy Father's political ideologies? Would it be sinful to say "I don't agree with the Pope on certain issues?"  

Thank you, 

Cabshear

1 hour ago, MertzBain said:

Our Catholic faith is universal. It embraces all people with love and acceptance what we have lost in our church is the mystic tradition. This Tradition is being reclaimed had a grassroots level in the church. What you may not know is that centering prayer, which is being taught by many theologians and spiritual directors steeped in the mystical tradition, shares at deeper level prayer practices of the mystical tradition which Buddhism never lost. 

Mysticism is simply the quest for union with God, and union with God is simply the gift of God's own life to us. And for as long as the Church has had saints - of which there many in all centuries - it has kept this flame alive. The rosary itself is ultimately mystical, as well as, par excellence, the Mass which is the source of this union.

Mysticism is not about techniques, it is not about repeating one word till one forgets all else to reach the divine. God is not reached by seeking out altered mental states. God gives himself to us and we give ourselves to him, person to Person, through bearing in our own lives the cross of each day with love, and through participating in the sacraments of Holy Church which are handed down directly from God to us in this present day.

The Eucharist is not Eucharist without the presence of the People of God. 

If by "The Eucharist" you mean the Mass, I would say that it's the other way around. The Mass brings the People of God into existence. The Mass is the sacrifice of Calvary, Jesus sacrificed on the Cross for us, which takes place whether we meet or not.

If by "The Eucharist" you mean the Blessed Sacrament, the thing that was formerly bread but now is consecrated by the priest and so becomes Jesus, then I would say that just as Jesus Christ, the man born to the Virgin Mary 2000 years ago, is Jesus whether or not I, chrysostom, believe this or not, so it also is that his human and divine body, consecrated into such by the priest, remains so whether any parishioners show up to Mass or not.

I love my church I love the way in with her practice my faith, but it saddens me that we are seen as a church that considers itself elite, above the rest,

The One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic church is not in competition with other churches. There is no competition, truly. The church sees itself as it truly is - the Bride of Christ. It invites all to flock to its banner and to be joined sacramentally to the One who created heaven and earth.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 7:38 AM, Cabshear said:

Faith to me seems to be "just take my word for it, I can't really provide suitable evidence for any of it." Thank you Richard Dawkins and company. 

Welcome back to PHatmass, Cabshear :)  Your post wasn't long really.  We have had some very lengthy posts over time - to which I have contributed and will contribute.

I thought your own and one other I think it was posts were very honest and open hearted and came across as sincere.

I really thought that chrysostom and Lea (quote boxes below)gave good responses, particularly chrysostom by putting "act" in italics.  Faith is not something God Gifts and that is that.  Faith is a journey and sometimes a confusing journey, perhaps a doubting one.  I have been on quite a colourful journey too since a child - now 75 years of age. The journey of Faith can see one scale the mountain in pure Joy and knowledge - and it can cast one into the depths of a kind of hell. You have been on quite a journey yourself. Faith is in essence an act of the will by the person enlightened by God's Hidden Gift.  Lord, I believe, please help my unbelief.  St Teresa of Avila wrote: "To reach something good it is very useful to have gone astray, and thus acquire experience."  She is also a declared Doctor of The Church and a great mystic gifted to clarity of understanding and expression in the mystical/spiritual way.

Lea's advice was spot on and I hope you will take it up. Just ensure that you feel comfortable and trustful of the person - and hopefully an experienced person.  A Catholic priest would be ideal, but not all can find a priest that suits them.  No need to stress, God has brought you to this point and He will carry you to the end wherever that might be. Pentecost Sunday night here in South Australia and I have prayed to The Holy Spirit for you.  Reading your post, a quote by Ernest Rehan came to mind "O Lord, if there is a Lord, save my soul, if I have a soul...'  It is termed an atheist's prayer apparently.

Faith is not in essence a feeling.  Feelings come and go and sometimes a bit willy nilly about them.  If we base our Faith in feelings - it just might be they drag one all over the place and usually do, short of the miraculous, that is, or special gift. Faith is an act of the will.  It is God's Hidden Gift.

I have long wondered if it is our definition of God that people deny.  Do you read The Gospels, Scripture in general.  Therein you can find The Lord, Our God.

God bless - do stay in touch please.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, chrysostom said:

The existence of beauty, of love, the prime mover argument, the order I see in things, all these in my mind point to a God - a loving one - and if a personal God exists the only religion that makes sense to me within that assumption is Catholicism for many reasons. But nonetheless it's an act of faith that I make regardless.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, Lea said:

Maybe you can talk to a priest or other good faithful person you trust. 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

• 6 months later...

Near death experience accounts remind me of the Roman Catholic doctrine of Purgatory......

I am so interested in this topic that I prefer to be involved with a church that is on a similar page to where I am at regarding the state of the dead.