At A Standstill

picchick

[quote name='Sanvean' date='Jul 31 2004, 07:49 PM'] I've heard it said that, really, the desire for marriage and a family isn't really a major determinant in whether or not a person has a vocation. No matter what state of life God is calling us to, we are all called to a form of motherhood or fatherhood.

Now, there's nothing wrong with not being interested in dating(mind you, this is coming from a girl who has been single for almost five years, now), don't get me wrong. However, it seems like a common objection in the discernment process is something along the lines of "I can't be called to be a sister/brother/priest... I want to get married!". No matter what your vocation, at the very heart of living it out, is love and sacrifice. How beautiful it is, for example, when a woman sets aside her very natural and good desire to get married and raise a family, to become a sister. Conversely, there are many people who have a desire for the religious life, but have a vocation to the married or single life. At any rate, our vocation isn't about what we want... it's about what God wants... I know, for me, the two very rarely seem to agree.

I'm sorry if that's not very clear, or coherant. I'm a little muddled tonight. [/quote]
Yeah I heard that too. As a sister, you'll still want to have children. It is kinda like the natural thing for a woman to want. Yet you are still happy because you are in a life that God picked. And if God picked it then you know it fits you to a t.

Even when your vocation is found out and you fufill it, there will always be questions as to what might happen if I got married/became a nun/priest.