An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecrated Community w/ Consecrated Women & Sisters

TotusTuusMaria

TotusTuusMaria

Is there any formation/spiritual family/association in the church that has both consecrated women (making private vows and living in community) but also has sisters?

I am not totally sure if the single HM Laity members make or can make private vows within their commitment to the Home of the Mother community, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

http://www.laityfamilylife.va/content/laityfamilylife/en/sezione-laici/repertorio/focolare-della-madre-.html

This is the community Sr. Clare Crockett was in (from the All or Nothing documentary. If anyone here hasn’t seen it, it’s incredible!!)

Sponsa-Christi

I know there are religious families that have a religious institute of Sisters with something like an affiliate secular institute, or an affiliated third Order type group.

There are also some cloistered monasteries that have provision for something like live-in laywomen oblates. 

But--for better or worse--I don't think there are any apostolic religious communities with live-in laywomen. 

1 hour ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

I know there are religious families that have a religious institute of Sisters with something like an affiliate secular institute, or an affiliated third Order type group.

There are also some cloistered monasteries that have provision for something like live-in laywomen oblates. 

But--for better or worse--I don't think there are any apostolic religious communities with live-in laywomen. 

Well, there are plenty of sisters who share residences with seculars. And a number of communities have live-ins. Consider, for instance, the "nones" movement which often lives with groups of "nuns." This is hardly uncommon, although it may be with more traditional communities. It isn't with many others. 

And, as you note here, a ton of congregations have Associates. In many cases, Associates live with Vowed members. [I speak as an Associate. While I live alone, some Associates live with Sisters.]

Finally, a friend of mine lived for a year with a Benedictine group, although she ultimately decided to become an Associate of the congregation I also belong to.]

Sponsa-Christi
3 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

Well, there are plenty of sisters who share residences with seculars. And a number of communities have live-ins. Consider, for instance, the "nones" movement which often lives with groups of "nuns." This is hardly uncommon, although it may be with more traditional communities. It isn't with many others. 

In my answer, I wasn't thinking so much about de facto practical living situations, but more about the technical way a community would be structured. That is, I don't know if there are any religious communities that have religious and privately vowed people as being both full members of the same canonical entity. Technically, I don't think there are provisions in the Church's law for something like this, though cloistered oblates might come close. 

I suppose Associates who live with the Sisters might be along the lines of what the OP was asking about. But I'm not sure if this would be termed a "stable" arrangement, in the sense of being something formally envisioned by the community's constitutions.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:38 AM, Sponsa-Christi said:

I can think of three French communities who have lay women, lay men (married or single), consecrated sisters, consecrated brothers, and priest living together in the same place :

- the Beatitude community (diocese of Toulouse). They were recently approved as an "Ecclesial family of consecrated life" (a new status in canon law) to better accomodate what is new in their vocation. Brothers, Sisters, priest, family and single lay people live together, share meals and prayer. I think they try to have separate place (such as separate building) for brothers/priest and sisters. Brothers and Sisters have a brown and white habit while lay people dress only in brown and white.
They have had their fair share of scandals : pedophile founder, multiple kind of abuse, it was very unhealthy for the children of the couple who lived in the community... However a lot of "cleaning" and work have been done.

Other communities with consecrated sisters, brothers, priest, lay people and family living together include "la croix Glorieuse (diocese of Perpignan), le Verbe de vie (diocese of Tulles)

image.png.4945b3cae0ec940588d2057e6028c231.png

Beatitude community (I think now they have less families living w/ them...)

image.png.2f4949829f91a9a7d26ffb16896a22ee.png

Croix Glorieuse

image.png.72f18f6e4bce71155767baaf6f64977f.png

Verbe de Vie

I will also add that the BEatitude community have a charism that is very clearly defined, while the two others communities always seemed a little more "blurry" to me.