An Old School Catholic Message Board

Application?

profer_lumen_cæcis

profer_lumen_cæcis

Blessed and joy-filled new year to you all!

So, by the grace of God I have recently discerned that He is calling me to our local Carmelite monastery, which is very traditional (they even get to hear the TLM!), and after speaking with the Rev. Mother I have been invited to apply to the order. Has anyone here ever filled out an application? If so, would you mind letting me know what the application was like in your experience? Thank you, and may God bless you all!

~Gertrude

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  From what I've heard there will be the usual personal detail questions. Questions about your medical and mental health. Questions about any outstanding loans.  Questions if you have any dependents. And a reference required from a priest. Don't know if this is always the case.  I think some places require a letter of application. I suppose this means telling them about yourself and why you feel called to the religious life and to that particular order. 

ReasonableFaith
9 hours ago, profer_lumen_cæcis said:

Blessed and joy-filled new year to you all!

So, by the grace of God I have recently discerned that He is calling me to our local Carmelite monastery, which is very traditional (they even get to hear the TLM!), and after speaking with the Rev. Mother I have been invited to apply to the order. Has anyone here ever filled out an application? If so, would you mind letting me know what the application was like in your experience? Thank you, and may God bless you all!

~Gertrude

Yes. Congratulations on the invitation to apply. 

Likely you will receive an application packet.  It will let you know everything you need to do. Follow the directions and fill out the application. No need to be worried. 

In my experience you will fill out the application, provide any requested documents, and wait for a response.

profer_lumen_cæcis

Thank you both so much for your replies! I feel less nervous now, as the details you mentioned I've already discussed with her Rev. Mother (who was the one who asked me to apply), so now it will just be up to the Council, I suppose! :) If you wouldn't mind, I would very much appreciate a prayer or two during this time ;) Thank you, both, again, and please know that you are in my prayers!

Blessed Epiphany season and a joyous new year to you both!

~Gertrude

Wait, you were asked to apply? From my not to extensive experience in discerning, every next step is expected from the discerner to give them complete freedom. 

profer_lumen_cæcis

@Lea,

When I spoke to Rev. Mother, she told me that she would love for me to apply and that when I am ready I should (so, not quite "asking" per se in the sense that you mean, but I had asked her for guidance and advice which she gave me :) ). 

She has given me nothing but freedom to discern God's call, but she also wanted to give me a little nudge :)

Edited by profer_lumen_cæcis

SicutColumba
27 minutes ago, Lea said:

Wait, you were asked to apply? From my not to extensive experience in discerning, every next step is expected from the discerner to give them complete freedom. 

I can understand the confusion but it sounds like she was invited to apply, which I'm pretty sure is normal and standard and what happened to me. She probably spoke about her desire to enter with the prioress, who likely helped her discern and finally invited her to apply when they both came to a mutual agreement on the entry. She is free to turn down the offer or ask to postpone her application. At least, this is what's happening in my case so I'm sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, @profer_lumen_cæcis ! Congratulations! I assure you of my prayers and hope you'll spare me a couple, too!

profer_lumen_cæcis

@SicutColumba Thank you--you worded this perfectly! Thank you also for the prayers--they are greatly appreciated! Please know that you will be in mine, as well :)

I think that most applications would ask candidates to discuss their prayer and spiritual life. I certainly think that would be the case for a contemplative community. Certainly all the communities I know are primarily concerned with this. [The same would be true of candidates for ordination.]

22 hours ago, Lea said:

It varies according to community. I knew one vocation director who would not offer the application unless the potential candidate asked - in another community, one could not apply unless one was invited.

My daughter belongs to a JMJ Carmel, and by the time Mother will speak about an application, she senses a definite vocation to Carmel in the young lady and understands the young lady senses it about herself. Their application process is fairly simple; she had everything complete within the month.  It exists to make sure there are not any impediments to your entering.  The news she had been accepted, on the other hand, took two months to arrive, so you may have to practice a little patience!

16 hours ago, JHFamily said:

The news she had been accepted, on the other hand, took two months to arrive, so you may have to practice a little patience!

Yes, patience! A virtue so necessary to discernment and sometimes so difficult to practice when you're so ready to give everything to Jesus! 

Lætata sum in his quæ dicta sunt mihi in domum Domini ibimus.

I'm so happy for you, @profer_lumen_cæcis, and I am praying for you! Good luck on your application. 

profer_lumen_cæcis

@JHFamily Thank you ever so much for sharing this from your daughter's experience! Yes, I've noticed that communicating with the sisters can be a great exercise in patience :) 

@SicutColumba Thank you! You as well! I pray that everything goes well for you and that God continues to guide you during this time! :)