An Old School Catholic Message Board

Inter-racial or inter-ethnic marriage question

Anastasia13

I was wondering how someone whose spouse is from a different ethnic group relate to the group after marriage. Do the usually join the community to some degree? Are they viewed as part of the community to some degree?

From my observations, as a person who is from a distinct ethnic group who knows people from mixed-race marriages and relationships, no one should be compelled to partake in the culture and group. It should be voluntary. To some extent, the other spouse should be somewhat interested in the other culture… But to do so voluntarily and not by compulsion. For example, some people might want to learn a few words of the other person's family tongue, or try to cook certain dishes, etc. But I do think there should be a level of voluntary interest for sure. If not for any other reason but love for the other. Also, on the other side, that spouse should be welcomed to the family for all that it's worth.

On 1/12/2021 at 2:04 PM, dUSt said:

When I married my wife I thought she would become white but oddly she's still black.

Now are you still white? Or are you cookies and cream now?

On 1/12/2021 at 2:04 PM, dUSt said:

When I married my wife I thought she would become white but oddly she's still black.

I don't know how much there are different black vs white communities where you live (I imagine there is some clustering of who knows who because of who already know or was related to who outside of church and church is pretty blended), but I am curious if that would impact anything you do as a parent of the presumable majority race.

23 hours ago, Anastasia13 said:

I don't know how much there are different black vs white communities where you live (I imagine there is some clustering of who knows who because of who already know or was related to who outside of church and church is pretty blended), but I am curious if that would impact anything you do as a parent of the presumable majority race.

It does impact my parenting because I'm a white man with the responsibility of being a father to black children, and all that entails: racism, culture, history, safety, etc. 

I've been forced to think about things that weren't even an afterthought in my childhood, from how to act around cops, to why Jesus is depicted as white in almost every popular piece of art.

• 3 months later...