An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eating disorder and confession question...

valleri

hi all! this is not easy to write at all. wow, here goes.

for two and a half years i struggled with an eating disorder (anorexia with binge/purge subtype), but thank God since november i've been pretty much "recovered." that is, until recently i started taking too much magnesium as a laxative (i do have digestion issues, though, so i was primarily using it because otherwise i have issues because of the digestion stuff). i'm not taking it anymore because i was worried that it was a sin. is this confessable, and if so, how would i confess it?

Eating disorders are illnesses, and what you're describing is a symptom of that illness. Being ill is not a sin.

However, this doesn't mean that taking magnesium is a good idea. People who have suffered from eating disorders often do have bowel and digestion problems, and laxatives will prolong the problem. They also jeopardise your recovery, which is very new and therefore fragile. You should speak to a doctor or dietitian with experience in treating these issues. I'll pray for you.

thank you! so it's not something i should confess?

i guess to an extent i also don't want my priest to think i'm confusing confession with counseling

Edited by valleri

IgnatianAtHeart
6 minutes ago, valleri said:

i guess to an extent i also don't want my priest to think i'm confusing confession with counseling

There doesn’t appear to be anything to confess. 

5 minutes ago, valleri said:

You can confess anything to your priest. But imo this does not meet the criteria for mortal sin. If there is any sin involved it is venial and can be forgiven with a private prayer and firm purpose of amendment.  Or the devout use of holy water! What God wants is for you to be healthy and happy. For you this means bring under a doctor's care, if you aren't already. 

It depends what is an underlaying psychological reason for your eating disorder. Quite often it is a manifestation of self-rejection. In some people it happens as a result of being abused etc. By no means I am saying that it is your case. However if something what I wrote rings familiar I would mention it to a priest, for a fuller healing.

(Overuse of laxative is a hallmark of the disorder by the way.)