An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communities that accept women previously in religious life

FutOSBSis

I think there is a lot more going on here rather than just a question of whether or not communities accept candidates who have already been in religious life. The simple answer is yes of course they do.  But these extremely serious issues you have experienced need to be resolved before you can even think about entering religious life again. Thats my opinion.   

Edited by GraceUk
Typing error

1 hour ago, GraceUk said:

I think there is a lot more going on here rather than just a question of whether or not communities accept candidates who have already been in religious life. The simple answer is yes of course they do.  But these extremely serious issues you have experienced need to be resolved before you can even think about entering religious life again. Thats my opinion.   

Thank you for your opinion. And you are right this is a deeper issue for anyone discerning religious life, and unfortunately it is something in general that needs to be resolved, it's not a personal thing. But no one would be able to discern if we waited for these problems to resolve, it's just the reality of it. There are communities out there that are not like communities that myself or other women have experienced, and they are healthy communities. And I am hopeful I will find one.

Edited by FutOSBSis

If you have experienced the same issue in two communities, it is certainly possible that the communities both held issues but it is also equally possible that there is something that you are carrying that is contributing to negative outcomes or, at the very least, there is a deep issue in discernment. I can absolutely see why entering in some capacity in two communities with a similar outcome would be a red flag for other communities and/or that other communities would be more circumspect and expect a much longer trajectory with you.

Otherwise, communities certainly accept others who have been in other communities, but entering with two and then leaving (regardless of why) would be a huge question mark and indicate more discernment is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know most religious Communities do take women that have been in religious life before. I know of a woman that made perpetual vows in her community and was the novice mistress, she left her community and is now in another community. I know that if you leave from novitiate on they have to call you other religious community and see what happened. Why you left. I also know that if you leave your community after making perpetual vows, you can leave it just takes longer. So, the fact that you were in another religious community should not be a problem.

Both the current and a former president of the congregation I'm affiliated with were originally in other communities. One was a novice; the other was finally professed.