An Old School Catholic Message Board

Transgender Man Here! Ask Me Anything! :)

CuriositasEtFidem

10 hours ago, Jaime said:

Can you tell me what you’re referring to?  Which church doctrine is clear and on what matter?

If you are a practicing Catholic I’m sure that you know the answer!

9 minutes ago, little2add said:

If you are a practicing Catholic I’m sure that you know the answer!

I’m a practicing Catholic with a degree in Theology.  So please share with me the clear doctrine on “the matter” and what that matter is.

We’re kinda used to backing up our claims here

On 2/8/2021 at 11:09 PM, CuriositasEtFidem said:

Hey there! I've decided to open this can of worms and do an AMA. I'm also new here since CAF closed down (thank goodness), so, howdy!

Let me start by laying down some points:

-I am not mentally ill for being transgender

-I am a Roman Catholic, and intend to die a Roman Catholic when the Lord calls me

It'll be an interesting thread :)

May I be blunt?

On 2/8/2021 at 11:09 PM, CuriositasEtFidem said:

Hey there! I've decided to open this can of worms and do an AMA. I'm also new here since CAF closed down (thank goodness), so, howdy!

Let me start by laying down some points:

-I am not mentally ill for being transgender

-I am a Roman Catholic, and intend to die a Roman Catholic when the Lord calls me

It'll be an interesting thread :)

I’ve got a few questions:

What’s an AMA?

Why start off meeting people here with a subject that you know is confrontational since you comment it’s a can of worms and you open with defending your mental health?

What are your intentions in interacting with us here at Phatmass?

Edited by Anomaly
Grammatical fussing

I'm not a theologian but I play one on TV

13 hours ago, Jaime said:

I’m a practicing Catholic with a degree in Theology.

CuriositasEtFidem
2 hours ago, Anomaly said:

I’ve got a few questions:

What’s an AMA?

Why start off meeting people here with a subject that you know is confrontational since you comment it’s a can of worms and you open with defending your mental health?

What are your intentions in interacting with us here at Phatmass?

An AMA is an "Ask Me Anything" (A popular thing on Reddit)

I was joking/being sarcastic, and wanted to get the assumption that trans people are somehow mentally ill out of the way before we could discuss stuff/

There aren't enough Catholic discussions with actual trans folks, so I thought I might be able to provide a new perspective. I'm not here to fight or stir up trouble :) 

13 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

May I be blunt?

Sure, go for it

22 hours ago, SicutColumba said:

Having said that, I would just like to know if your fellow parishioners respect your pronouns and the name that you’ve presumably chosen. 

Well, they don't really talk to me very much. I'm a quiet person, I go to Sunday Mass and Holy Days of Obligation, and I go back home. If someone happens to talk to me, I'll tell them my chosen name, and since I look (and sound, I hope) the part, they'll use he/him pronouns for me

1 hour ago, little2add said:

I'm not a theologian but I play one on TV

1 hour ago, little2add said:

Since you studied theology, perhaps you could shed some light on scripture regarding the transgenderism subject. 

It's not my job to back up your arguments. that's all on you.  If you can't then just say so.  But then try to resist making declarative statements about Church teaching if you really don't know what that teaching is.

Ash Wednesday
10 hours ago, CuriositasEtFidem said:

An AMA is an "Ask Me Anything" (A popular thing on Reddit)

I was joking/being sarcastic, and wanted to get the assumption that trans people are somehow mentally ill out of the way before we could discuss stuff/

There aren't enough Catholic discussions with actual trans folks, so I thought I might be able to provide a new perspective. I'm not here to fight or stir up trouble :) 

It's very uncharted territory of discussion for many Catholics, at the very least certainly myself. Which leads me to wonder if there also needs to be more concrete pastoral guidance with the Church on the issue in the future to help us all through a confusing time.

I think there may have been one person years ago that was on here that I think perhaps had some issues with gender and there may have been some discussion about what kind of guidance he had about it with a priest, but they talked about other things in general and it was only briefly discussed on a tangent somewhat.

My ideal is for people of all walks of life to be able to come together and have rational, charitable discussions -- even among faithful Catholics online from the traditionals to the charismatics to the hip hoppers -- I've noticed that people seem to struggle to come to grips with diversity of opinion on pockets of grey that aren't always entirely settled and clear. 

For the most part -- in general if nothing else, we really love cake and tacos around here, and we fight a lot on election years. 

Edited by Ash Wednesday
Uncharted!

3 hours ago, CuriositasEtFidem said:

since I look (and sound, I hope) the part

Not trying to pick on you, but this is the language of performance.  You're playing the "part" our society has assigned men to play. 

The theory of trans identity (as being normal non pathological) has never been explained to me in a way that is not sexist. 

This story was featured in local media about a transwoman in one of Chicago's neighborhoods... we were meant to applaud the courage on display. I'm not sure if I've ever been sadder or more disappointed, as a woman, in my life due to the overwhelming misogyny encoded here and presented for applause... .. https://patch.com/illinois/beverly-mtgreenwood/transition-after-70-why-transgender-woman-made-change

3 hours ago, little2add said:

Since you studied theology, perhaps you could shed some light on scripture regarding the transgenderism subject. 

Ah, you've been caught out. There's no there,  there my friend. You can make a decent argument from scripture and tradition which is what speculative theology is all about. But others can argue with you and there's nothing objective in our religion saying which is right. It's like, your opinion, man.

Catholicism has a lot fewer hard and fast rules than most people think. 

The Church hasn't said much because it needs a "why" and that is tricky. If the "why" is imprecise it could forbid cosmetic surgery. It could forbid surgery for those who have ambiguous genitalia. The Church hasn't defined what constitutes femaleness or maleness - it's only been very recently that we could peer into DNA and see sex chromosomes. Before this the determination was made looking at genitalia. Now people suggest it's brain/neuro structure. And we know a tiny % of the population has indeterminate genitalia and/or chromosomes. And indeterminate brains? So any teaching has to take into account their existence. It's difficult to say, transitioning between male and female is wrong, without first defining what female and male is - how they are objectively determined.

Very complex and difficult.  

Edited by Lilllabettt