An Old School Catholic Message Board

Transgender Man Here! Ask Me Anything! :)

CuriositasEtFidem

Ash Wednesday

This site and the board to me is like a microcosm of the Church. Currently it all feels like we, as a Church, are in a very bizarre funhouse mirror, it's disorienting and confusing.

Like in private reporting of what posts are allowed, we field criticism from the entire spectrum on it, from both sides, criticism for allowing posts and posters that they think are "too trad" to the point where we've been accused of being a schismatic pro-Q platform, to criticism and accusations of being heterodox. The only phorum rule that really has theological/intellectual restrictions on actual allowed subject matter is the old "Catholic vs. Catholic" debates (SSPX, Vatican II, Liturgy).

And it's not even like people just report things so someone in the wrong can be issued a warning -- now it's -- "this post shouldn't be allowed, and you're not Catholic for allowing this." And again, it's not just one particular side, these days it pretty much comes from all sides.  Perhaps I'm in the wrong, but it was my understanding along the lines of St. Thomas Aquinas that open discussions are allowed in order for errors to be refuted, and I didn't think that was un-Catholic.

6fa05fbf8fa7bc073d1d80d97b031643.jpg

There's a reason why moderators tend to go on very long breaks or step down. 

I know this is a bit off topic, but as regards to the calls for censorship we've been getting:

Someone once said in times of uncertainty and doubt people long for strongmen to lead them. I think we're seeing a strong push for authoritarianism among the more left-leaning segment of society, maybe the traditionalists want that as well?

I think we're a lot more similar to our perceived enemies then we would like to admit. I'm a little disturbed by the rising tribalism I'm seeing, if I'm seeing things right.

I think it would benefit us greatly to calm down and be rational. There are indeed many dire threats to our way of life as Catholics and assaults against truth. But this ginning up of fear and "us vs. them" . . . I'm not a fan. I get it because things are scary and we want a neat narrative to frame things by.

We need to remember that our enemy is not the left, those goddamned communists, activists, democrats. The enemy is sin. That is in all of us. The worst of which is pride.

May God forgive us. We need to fight for what is right, but we need to be smart about it and to remember our own sin.

fides' Jack

It is my humble opinion, that if anything at all is censored, the very first thing would be taking the Lord's name in vain.  At the very least it could be redacted or something...  

Credo in Deum
1 hour ago, Ice_nine said:

We need to remember that our enemy is not the left, those goddamned communists, activists, democrats. 

The individuals, no; their ideology, yes. 

The sad kool-aid being drunk by many in society and in our own Church is that one must be tolerant of both in order to be considered truly charitable to the individual.  Many nowadays, self included, fail to do what's right out of motives of human respect. 

There are dangerous ideologies on the right, too. That's what I think people fail to recognize. And I think that folks on the right are also largely driven by fear, and that's not healthy.

Credo in Deum
27 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

There are dangerous ideologies on the right, too. That's what I think people fail to recognize. And I think that folks on the right are also largely driven by fear, and that's not healthy.

Of course there are dangerous ideologies on the right but Catholicism isn't one of them.  It's also not on the same level as the other ones, and yet thats the opposite of what we display when we give other (regardless of right/left) ideologies tolerance. 

Edited by Credo in Deum