An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shoes for the Convent

SicutColumba

A bit of a silly question here but I am in need of a couple of really good pairs of shoes to bring with me to the convent. Does anyone have any idea where you could get a sturdy pair of women’s shoes in a size 44 online? (That could be a tall order!) I am ready to invest a bit. Thanks. 

Preparing for entry is exciting but I feel somewhat tied down by all of these material affairs. I have the impression that I’m not preparing myself well enough spiritually. 

Edited by SicutColumba
Pair to pairs, which works, I guess, but doesn’t sound very nice

Hi,

I'm not sure what country you're in, but perhaps from M&S? 

Or Timberland?

What kind of shoes are you looking for? Walking? General use? Warm? 

Cobbie Cuddlers. All nuns, universally, wear Cobbie Cuddlers. I think it's a requirement of one of the V2 documents. The sensible, comfortable, lace-up kind. (I have no idea what a Size 44 is; here in the US, shoes labeled Size 44 would be about as big as a steamboat!)

https://www.google.com/search?q=cobbie+cuddler+shoes&rlz=1C1CHHF_enUS913US913&sxsrf=ALeKk0354msmdavvWKLeqseZZFyEiAgRgA:1612921758988&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=M47V5velR4VXSM%2CGm1hURtTuobb6M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSmMtYiPndiFKyaE1q_amqgebuOsQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKrvrjmd7uAhXGmq0KHcFfDkgQ9QF6BAgYEAE#imgrc=M47V5velR4VXSM

I think my daughter took a pair of Keen's Mary Jane shoes with her, and they lasted through her postulant year, easily.  I've also heard Clark and Dansko shoes are sturdy and comfortable for someone on their feet a lot. I would just type it into a web browser.

5 hours ago, Luigi said:

Cobbie Cuddlers. All nuns, universally, wear Cobbie Cuddlers. I think it's a requirement of one of the V2 documents. The sensible, comfortable, lace-up kind. (I have no idea what a Size 44 is; here in the US, shoes labeled Size 44 would be about as big as a steamboat!)

https://www.google.com/search?q=cobbie+cuddler+shoes&rlz=1C1CHHF_enUS913US913&sxsrf=ALeKk0354msmdavvWKLeqseZZFyEiAgRgA:1612921758988&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=M47V5velR4VXSM%2CGm1hURtTuobb6M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSmMtYiPndiFKyaE1q_amqgebuOsQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKrvrjmd7uAhXGmq0KHcFfDkgQ9QF6BAgYEAE#imgrc=M47V5velR4VXSM

I had no idea what Cobbie Cuddlers were but now that I know I can attest that I have seen these shoes on so many nuns. 44 is a US women’s 11.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I am looking into these shoe companies now!

7 hours ago, kg94 said:

What kind of shoes are you looking for? Walking? General use? Warm? 

Definitely general use. I have a really good pair of Sorel snow boots already but I can’t find anything on their site that would work for me for everyday use. 

Lily May Gath

Ecco Shoes are available in the UK, Europe and the USA

www.ecco.com or a Google search

Models like

Anine Squared

Ecco Soft

Ecco Soft 8M in the men's section if you have larger feet

https://gb.ecco.com/en-GB/Men/Shoes/product/5642780007/ECCO-SOFT-8-M

I have very small feet and they start the ladies' range from en EU35 and small from kids ranges.

If you have to wear a standardized shoe, ask the community you're entering where they get them--or the brand. Most of my friends don't wear habits, so they wear trainers or comfortable dress shoes most of the time, depending on what they are doing, or wearing. I've found that sisters don't wear anything "universally," so check with the community.

Hotter shoes are very comfortable and last years. You can get them online. But I agree with asking the community for their recommendations. 

I agree to check the list from the congregation. Even communities which wear modified habits seldom have a 'uniform shoe.' Amazon UK (or other country locations) has all sorts of options. If you have some objection to Amazon (I've seen negative comments on Facebook), you can search there first, highlight the model, and search on Google. (I am a very odd size - extremely wide - and have heel spurs, and I've found shoes this way.)

I just purchased my three pairs of black shoes for my entrance! I got them all from a Clarks outlet! They were a little more pricey, but I had asked for them for Christmas and wanted to make sure I brought something that would last!

On 2/10/2021 at 6:34 PM, GraceUk said:

Hotter shoes are very comfortable and last years. You can get them online. But I agree with asking the community for their recommendations. 

I had a pair of Hotter shoes that I wore literally down to the sole after several years. They were so good. They served me so well. I didn't even think of looking into them. Thanks!

On 2/11/2021 at 4:34 AM, TalithaKoum said:

I just purchased my three pairs of black shoes for my entrance! I got them all from a Clarks outlet! They were a little more pricey, but I had asked for them for Christmas and wanted to make sure I brought something that would last!

I have heard really good things about Clarks, too! I can have two to three pairs of brown or black shoes, preferably in leather, plus a pair of sandals for the summer. But my memory of the sisters’ shoes is that there was a wide variety of options. 

• 1 month later...
SicutColumba

Resurrecting this thread to 1. ask for prayers for a special intention and 2. ask those of you who have joined convents before: what's something really useful to bring to the postulat that one might not think of? The list of things I'm to bring is « including but not limited to » and lists a flashlight, alarm clock, sewing kit, etc., and I'm bringing a pocketknife (I've seen sisters use them in very creative ways), but I'm just wondering if there's anything really useful that you might not think of, other than clothes and sheets and towels and whatnot. For example, I know a sister who brought a handsaw with her and the community gets a ton of use out of it. Of course, it'd have to be approved by Mother, but I'd just like some ideas to propose to her. 

Edited by SicutColumba

(Portable) Musical instruments, if you have. Incase you own some literature that could be fruitful for the other sisters to read as well, maybe there's something like a library in the convent.