An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions about belated vocations

Wes

Hello everyone. 

I have been looking into becoming a monk and joining a monastery. However, it looks as if the cut-off age is usually at 35, and I'm just some years above that. So now I'm looking up "belated vocations" in addition to the various types of monasteries, and the requirements necessary to become  a monk. 

Some background:

I was raised Christian, but I was never baptized nor did I attend any Catholic churches, despite my mother being a practicing Catholic. However, my faith in God was nurtured and encouraged by mother and by members of my family. 

However, as I got older I became distracted. I was preoccupied with obtaining a professional career and keeping up with my social circle. However, there were several times during this time that things in my life, and even in the world, just felt "off." I couldn't pinpoint what why or how, it just felt that way. However, I just brushed it off.

Eventually I began reading more and more, and spending less time socializing. This was a contemplative time for myself where I began reading various books on philosophy. I then began reading the Bible, and in particular, focusing on Jesus's teachings. At this point, things suddenly made sense to me. How to live one's life, how I should live my life, and how we should all treat each other. Everything felt so right at this time. So I applied it to my life while still pursuing my career aspirations, and maintaining my same social circle. At least I thought I was applying it to my life, and I felt I was following the correct path for myself, as I understood it.

It's only now, that I realize that I was merely scraping the surface, and that I have strayed from what may have been meant for me. I've been looking into vocations, and what an individual must undertake in order to live that life. Unfortunately, I've discovered this late in life. In addition, I've never been baptized. And to begin a vocation most, if not all monasteries require new coverts to at least be a practicing Catholic for 2-3 years.

Is it possible for someone in their late 30s to become a Catholic late in life and also become a monk? I still have so much to learn, but I'm willing to dedicate my life to it. 

It's possible. 

Yes, most orders/monasteries require that an applicant have been Catholic for 2 or 3 years. It's also normal for an applicant to 'get to know' a monastery for several years before  joining. But those don't have to be done sequentially.

I suggest: 
1. You contact your nearest Catholic church and inquire about the RCIA program. These are weekly classes, usually beginning in August or so, in which you learn the basics (essentials) of the Catholic faith. You get baptized on Holy Saturday evening at the Easter vigil. 
2. Simultaneously, begin scouting up religious orders and/or monasteries. They all have an Internet presence. The information they present is rather basic, but you'll get a feel for their attitude, their ministry, and so forth. Contact the vocation directors, and tell them basically what you've posted here. If they're not interested, they'll say so. But actually, a lot of monasteries would be interested in someone your age - your age is less important than your motivation. 

You don't say what part of the country you live in, and you don't describe (in detail) the kind of monastic life you're interested in. Some orders, such as Trappists, just work and pray - no ministries outside the monastery. Some, such as Benedictines, sponsor a high school or college or seminary, and you'd probably do ministry (as your work) in one of those but still have time for prayer. A few Benedictine monasteries don't have much outside ministry. Some monasteries have only 10 or 12 monks, some have over a hundred. So there's a lot of variation out there. The Internet is the best way to get an overview fairly quickly. Many of them also have Facebook pages, which is another good window into their ways of life - if you scroll through about a year of their posts, you'll have a decent taste of their life. 

1. You can contact the Vocations Office of your Catholic diocese, too. Look 'em up on the Internet! They'll help you with general vocation information, not just diocesan priesthood. 
2. Cloistered Life has a range of options - sort of a first step in understanding the landscape of monastic life. https://cloisteredlife.com/mens-communities

Edited by Luigi

Some communities are bound by their own statues only to accept certain age ranges. But I'm certain plenty of others have fewer hard and fast rules.

Luigi,

Thanks for the helpful information. That's good to know that I could do these things simultaneously. I'm in the process of speaking to someone at my local church. 

I've looked into the cloisteredlife.com and found it a great starting point as far as getting finding out about the different orders and monasteries. 

chrysostom,

Yes, I've seen some that say specifically they only accept those with a certain age parameter. Others make it sound like they may make exceptions to the rule. 

I always am concerned that a written response may be misunderstood - I hope this does not sound pompous or unkind.

Since you never have been baptised, you would need to be instructed in the RC faith, and have not only baptism but the grace of common worship and sacrament as a source of grace - essential to discerning how you best may serve God. I remember when some participants here mentioned the Sisters of Life, and I looked at their site out of interest (not in entering.) They made an excellent point in their description of application and formation. Those applying must have had the grace of the sacramental life for three years before they could be considered. They needed, as well, to have three years between any manner of living that was out of accord with moral teachings. (I'm not suggesting you do. But I was very glad to see anyone be open about the role of grace in our lives. )

There are monasteries which accept those well over thirty - Thomas Merton was a convert. I don't know if this is common to most congregations, but I do remember when those applying for priesthood or religious life could not enter the seminary or postulancy until they had been Catholic for three years.

Again, I am not suggesting this is true in your case - I have no idea, but I've seen it in various cases, and for those in any state of life. It is not unusual for converts, or those who may have been baptised but never were observant, to have a sense that God requires something extraordinary from them. If you have several years as a Catholic, you may see things more clearly. One convert I know is a Roman Catholic priest, and has been for years (he became Catholic in the late 1970s.) He is not at all unstable mentally, but, when he first became a Catholic, he had ideas of being a Trappist, of being in an enclosed monastery, of being a missionary in Africa. (He already had been a minister in the Dutch Reformed Church.) He is a secular priest - and well-suited to this - and his entire nature always was very social, involved with people, focused on human relationships even in preaching. I cannot imagine his being silent and enclosed. He saw this wasn't suited to him within a few years, but didn't in the first enthusiasm of conversion. 

gloriana35,

Thanks for the reply. I am somewhat dismayed that I may have to wait three years as a baptized and practicing Catholic before I could even be considered by some communities. Or that if I contact a vocational director during the RCIA process, the director may dismiss my "application" as possibly being an impulsive decision.

That said, I realize that it's for the good of the community, as well as for the good of the applicant, that they have these requirements. It is a tremendous change to one's life. The vocational director or community has to feel confident that this person is serious and has the necessary potential to dedicate themselves. From what I've read, some people go in thinking they're prepared for it, and later find out they weren't. I believe that's why they're asked to be a postulant for 6 months, then when accepted as a novitiate you take vows for three years, and eventually you take a final vow. I may be getting the terms mixed up, but I think that's how the process is generally. 

Religious life will still be there for you, when you are ready for it.  Gaining patience, and experience, in the meantime, can only be good.  Hang in there.

I think it's a very wise decision to insist applicants wait three years from when they have converted to the Catholic faith. Though I understand why it would make people impatient. But I would imagine you can still make enquiries.  Usually postulancy for six months. Novice 1 - 2 years. Temporary vows 3- 6 years.  Then final vows. And candidates can be put back at their own request or be advised to wait if their superiors think fit. So no rushing into things!

ReasonableFaith
5 hours ago, GraceUk said:

But I would imagine you can still make enquiries. 

I think you have received some excellent responses and I am in agreement with the quote above. You can make any inquires you wish. 

It is possible to make visits, short or long, to many monasteries at a reasonable price. If you have expressed interest in monastic life you may get to do so at lower/no charge and perhaps be granted greater access to the community than visitors not particularly interest in exploring their way of life. (Pandemic conditions may affect current availability).

There are many avenues to become a member of a monastic community. One could be an ordained monk, a non-ordained monk, a donate, or a claustral oblate to name some. The requirements for different categories of membership may vary even within one particular community. 

Communities’ reaction to your particular spiritual journey and desires will vary, perhaps widely. This will not be the first time they have fielded inquires from someone in your position. Likely you will find some excellent guidance. 

I shall add, to Reasonable Faith's excellent suggestion - you may find excellent spiritual direction at a monastery. (Though the pandemic would prevent visitors at the moment.) I would imagine that, even if the pandemic prevents in-person instruction in groups, there are resources where you could have instruction to become a Catholic. Monks would know.