An Old School Catholic Message Board

God's Attributes

Machine_Washable

Machine_Washable

Hello Phatmass,

How do Catholics understand God's attributes? For example, if the Bible says God was angry or pleased, what does that mean? As I understand it the Orthodox Church has a negative theology. You don't say what this does mean. Only what it doesn't mean. Does Catholicism have the same framework?

51 minutes ago, Machine_Washable said:

As I understand it the Orthodox Church has a negative theology.

We have both apophatic and cataphatic theology, so as (as far as I know) the Roman Catholic Church. 

7 hours ago, Machine_Washable said:

Hello Phatmass,

How do Catholics understand God's attributes? For example, if the Bible says God was angry or pleased, what does that mean? As I understand it the Orthodox Church has a negative theology. You don't say what this does mean. Only what it doesn't mean. Does Catholicism have the same framework?

Interesting question. I think the theo-geeks on the forum will have to answer this one.

I would guess that it's a bit difficult to answer since God is a Trinity. I would say that our Lord Jesus experiences the same range of human emotions, in the same way as any other man.

If we are talking about God the Father, I have understood that he is unmutable, and that when the Bible says that he was "angry," "pleased," or that he "changed his mind" these are analogies, or an explanation given in language that humans can understand. But strictly he speaking does not really have emotions that sway in a typical human-like manner.

But I don't have a ton of confidence in that answer. The geeks will have to correct me if I am wrong about that.

Edited by Peace