An Old School Catholic Message Board

Family of Jacopa

andibc

I was trying to pass information on to a friend about the Family of Jacopa,  but the link is broken. Does anyone know if this group is still together? I have already sent her information about a few other orders for late vocations, but thought this one in particular would resonate with her.

Yes, that's a beautiful order that I included on the list I sent her. I collected all the info here and elsewhere and am really just focusing on info about Jacopa now.

I found this post:

The Family of Jacopa Association

CLOSING FJA page - July 2, 2019. Due to unbelievable evil trolling we are forced to close this page. If you want to contact us please call 740-275-6168 or email: familyjacopa@yahoo.com. If you want to stay on our newsletter list please email us ASAP. Also, please follow our new website which will be enlarged soon at: https://family-of-jacopa.com/

Okay, so I happen to know Mother's baptismal name and her Facebook page. From looking on that, it appears she is no longer living as a religious.

1 hour ago, JHFamily said:

Okay, so I happen to know Mother's baptismal name and her Facebook page. From looking on that, it appears she is no longer living as a religious.

So, technically, she isn't "Mother" anymore...?

On another note: This is my (and not just my) concern about so many of these new communities. People should be very cautious about discerning with them, because so many of them do not survive. This is no shame, but it is an important cautionary tale. Studies by CARA and others suggest that they are more likely to fail than to prosper. 

Perhaps people should pay more attention to the communities that have been around for awhile and have demonstrated stability as they discern where they should go?

3 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

If I'm correct in my research, that would be true, I assume.

There are so many new communities (as opposed to foundations) that it seems that many would have to fail. There is something to be said for choosing a community that has "proven" itself.

I agree about a lot of these new communities. Some of them have been very shaky indeed. But on the other hand communities like the Sisters of Life have absolutely flourished and are doing great work. And I expect in the beginning they were new and only had a few members. It's a difficult one. 

I tried to add a bit by edit but couldn't. I used the Sisters of Life as an example but they had the backing of the church from the start.  And a Cardinal asked them to form so it wasn't just an individual decided a new community was needed and then set themselves up as superior. Hope I've explained what I mean!

That's unfortunate. Thank you for the information and prayers for the foundress,  as I'm sure she was genuine in

trying to do God's will.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to look them up Yes, there are plenty of older orders who could use new life., like the Sister Servants of Christ the King in Wisconsin or the MaryVale sisters in North Carolina.Both are in the book,Convent Life by Joan Lexau, published in 1964.You can get it through an interlibrary loan. There's the Sisters of St.Joseph the Worker, founded by some Sisters of Charity of Nazerath,KY, my late cousin Sister John Edna's order.

There is the St.Mary Sisters, who are dominican.They were founded by the Bishop of Bismark,ND.  Obviously he felt there was a need for a new community so started one.

8 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

There is the St.Mary Sisters, who are dominican.They were founded by the Bishop of Bismark,ND.  Obviously he felt there was a need for a new community so started one.

Maybe. Often bishops started new communities because he wanted sisters he could control. Oftentimes, these communities were purely instrumental and not charismic. I'm not saying that applied in this case, but don't assume that just because a bishop started something that it was necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 4:55 PM, Nunsuch said:

On another note: This is my (and not just my) concern about so many of these new communities. People should be very cautious about discerning with them, because so many of them do not survive. This is no shame, but it is an important cautionary tale. Studies by CARA and others suggest that they are more likely to fail than to prosper. 

Perhaps people should pay more attention to the communities that have been around for awhile and have demonstrated stability as they discern where they should go?

So...how many communities can you say that you know and recommend, that cater to "delayed vocation"(s) widows, and MATURE single ( and those with an annulled prior marriage) women?? Indeed not very many, I am sure.

When this community was getting off the ground (so to speak) it was a positive and hopeful consideration for those that I just mentioned! 

Not all vocations are bestowed only on young women 35 and younger. 

Btw- Family of Jocopa may not of been on the older established side..but it is not "newly new" either. 

However, I do understand what you were advising. 

It's just that not everyone, can/will fit and be accepted in communities of time tested stability. 

Edited by nikita92
Spelling

18 minutes ago, nikita92 said:

So...how many communities can you say that you know and recommend, that cater to "delayed vocation"(s) widows, and MATURE single ( and those with an annulled prior marriage) women?? Indeed not very many, I am sure.

When this community was getting off the ground (so to speak) it was a positive and hopeful consideration for those that I just mentioned! 

Not all vocations are bestowed only on young women 35 and younger. 

Btw- Family of Jocopa may not of been on the older established side..but it is not "newly new" either. 

However, I do understand what you were advising. 

It's just that not everyone, can/will fit and be accepted in communities of time tested stability. 

Actually, that isn't true. There are many such communities. However, I suspect they do not appeal to the majority of those in this group, since they would be seen as less "traditional" and are generally affiliated with LCWR. Most of the communities I know (and I've done research in several dozen archives and have worked with vocation directors and others around the US) do regularly accept women over 40, widows and divorcees, and so on. 

Since my own research focuses on the period before the 1917 Code of Canon Law, I'm most familiar with communities founded before then (there are exceptions. That means they've all had well over a century (and, in some cases, more than a couple of centuries) to get their acts together. They understand "tradition" somewhat differently, perhaps, than many of the discerners here but, given that they've been around for awhile, they've actually lived it out in ways that are authentic, if not necessarily as structured as many of the newer groups. Please understand, I am not being judgmental--just noting that "traditional" is not a term that is uncontested, and I'm speaking only of communities that are either pontifical or or that have been approved at the diocesan level for over 100 years. That cannot be said, of course, for some of the newer groups.

Edited by Nunsuch

Yes to all of what Nunsuch says. I have seen many, MANY communities (cloistered, uncloistered, semi-contemplative, fully active) take MANY older vocations. I honestly think it is the exception that a community doesn't take older vacations. Many of the orders that are popular now and/or focus on a particular interpretation of 'traditional' provide a picture that is not quite accurate of the vocational landscape. I've observed (thank you Zoom) 7 various clothing or vows ceremonies this year, and 5 of them were older and/or non-traditonal vocations. A local vocation-oriented person recently observed that the fastest growing population of discerners are older. All good stuff.

On 3/3/2021 at 4:08 PM, andibc said:

Yes, that's a beautiful order that I included on the list I sent her. I collected all the info here and elsewhere and am really just focusing on info about Jacopa now.

They have been disbanded by the Bishop 

On 3/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, andibc said:

I was trying to pass information on to a friend about the Family of Jacopa,  but the link is broken. Does anyone know if this group is still together? I have already sent her information about a few other orders for late vocations, but thought this one in particular would resonate with her.

They have been disbanded by the bishop 

18 hours ago, Maurrahn said:

They have been disbanded by the Bishop 

Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope.

https://motherofisraelshope.org/

Nope. You're wrong on this one. In fact, they have recently moved to Beloit, KS at the invitation of their bishop. Mother Miriam does a daily show called Mother Miriam Live.  They currently have a house but are in need of more room. For those interested, donations can be made here.