An Old School Catholic Message Board

Family of Jacopa

andibc

The poster was talking not about Mother Miriam and her community,daughters of Mary, mother of Isreal's Hope, but rather the Family of Jacopa. I'm curious why they were disbanded. I saw a photo of her with  another sister, possibly a novice, so assumed she was getting vocations.

6 minutes ago, HollyDolly said:

The poster was talking not about Mother Miriam and her community,daughters of Mary, mother of Isreal's Hope, but rather the Family of Jacopa. I'm curious why they were disbanded. I saw a photo of her with  another sister, possibly a novice, so assumed she was getting vocations.

Canonically, a community must have at least 3 sisters. This is not "getting vocations." 

Well i only saw two women, so just thought that there might be a couple more, just not in the photograph.Funny thing is, if you go to the website for the Archdiocese of Indianapolis,  under vocations, it lists the orders there. The Servants of the Gospel of Life  has only one sister listed, the foundress. Then it has under Franciscan Religious of Our Lady of Refuge (from Mexico) 1 sister. Now they do have a convent here in the US, so have no clue how this all works. 

I know Sister Diane is still around  since she is listed at the Archdiocese website,  so can't really tell you what the difference  between her and the Family of Jacopa is.

Also whatever happend to the Sisters of Christian Love in Detroit? I know the foundress ,Sister Judy died, but i recall looking at the website, another sister with her preparing meals.

I looked up Mother Miriam and her community. I was wondering how many sisters the community has. Is it very small. There was a lot of interest when it was first formed. 

8 hours ago, GraceUk said:

I looked up Mother Miriam and her community. I was wondering how many sisters the community has. Is it very small. There was a lot of interest when it was first formed. 

I think it is true that they are quite small. When they were in Oklahoma, the new bishop withdrew his support for this fledgling community and they were not able to accept new vocations. That has now changed. 

3 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

According to the research of CARA, most "new communities" do not survive.

I am sure this is true. However, there are so few TLM communities to serve the growing vocations that I believe they may be the exception to the rule. This community is Benedictine, so while they are a new community, they are not trying to start a new order. In addition, just because most do not survive, I do not think that it follows that none should be tried.

7 hours ago, JHFamily said:

I am sure this is true. However, there are so few TLM communities to serve the growing vocations that I believe they may be the exception to the rule. This community is Benedictine, so while they are a new community, they are not trying to start a new order. In addition, just because most do not survive, I do not think that it follows that none should be tried.

All communities are required to use one of the 4 approved Rules of the church. This is different from a constitution. So this is not particularly exceptional. Of course, I didn't say that no new communities should be tried, only that few will survive. When discerning where to go, this is an important consideration. And the form of the Mass which is used can always change, so it probably should not be the only or primary reason to join a community particularly an untested one.

NadaTeTurbe
On 4/1/2021 at 12:32 AM, nikita92 said:

Btw- Family of Jocopa may not of been on the older established side..but it is not "newly new" either. 

However, I do understand what you were advising.

This is the most american sentence I have ever read here ! In France, a community founded in the 70's/80's is called a "new community" and treated as suche. 90's/2000's are basically newborn.