An Old School Catholic Message Board

Elysburg Carmel is no more...

PaxCordisJesu

PaxCordisJesu

Sorry for the dramatic title! In this case, it's good news!

I've just learned that the entire Elysburg Carmel in PA has moved into the Fairfield Carmel. I think the original plan in founding Fairfield was to send all the Sisters there because Elysburg's buildings weren't suitable any longer for a monastery. At some point, plans changed and it was decided that Fairfield was going to be its own foundation because of the number of vocations coming in.  Well, it looks like plans have changed again and Elysburg Carmel is no longer occupied. I wonder what's going to happen to the Elysburg Monastery...

profer_lumen_cæcis

+J.M.J.+

While it's not entirely shocking, it still comes as a *little* bit of a surprise :) May I ask where you learned this from? Blessed Holy Monday!

Edited by profer_lumen_cæcis

PaxCordisJesu

Is that the monastery that has a long road (with a row of trees besides it) leading up to the building?

Your link works

I checked. Yes it's the one I researched years ago! I thought they were very austere, with strict rules of observance etc. Of which I was attracted to! If I could turn back time, this community would have been my first inquiry!

• 10 months later...

The Elysburg Monastery is for sale.  I am the listing agent for the Carmelite sisters.  They are hopeful another order may find the property attractive.  The Carmelites, now in Fairfield, made a siginificant capital investment in the property after purchasing it a few years ago including replacing all the roofing, the windows, restoring the heating system, and in general bringing the property up to "tip top" condition.  

If readers of this blog are aware of a religious order searching for a beautiful, secluded, monastery/seminary I would be only too happy to tour them through the 90 acre site on a completely "no obligation" basis.  

Mike Treacy, Manager

Allegiance Commercial Real Estate

mike@allegiance-cre.com

215-776-0435

On 1/30/2022 at 11:44 AM, Mike Treacy said:

The Elysburg Monastery is for sale.  I am the listing agent for the Carmelite sisters.  They are hopeful another order may find the property attractive.  The Carmelites, now in Fairfield, made a siginificant capital investment in the property after purchasing it a few years ago including replacing all the roofing, the windows, restoring the heating system, and in general bringing the property up to "tip top" condition.  

If readers of this blog are aware of a religious order searching for a beautiful, secluded, monastery/seminary I would be only too happy to tour them through the 90 acre site on a completely "no obligation" basis.  

Mike Treacy, Manager

Allegiance Commercial Real Estate

mike@allegiance-cre.com

215-776-0435

Please keep us in the loop!!

If anyone would like to watch a drone video of the 90 acre Carmelite Monastery please feel free to message me and I will be only to happy to send you a link the video.

Mike