An Old School Catholic Message Board

Struggles with Depression

quia_pulvis

quia_pulvis

Lately I have been coming to terms with my depression. I don't think it is severe and I pray for those who suffer more than me. 

I understand that reason medicine can work is because depression can be cause by a chemical imbalance which medicine can correct. Because of this I have always hated when people say all you need is Jesus' love and you won't be depressed. I suppose God can miraculously heal you but is it wrong of me to deny that all you need is Jesus' love to not be depressed?

You're not alone, even Jesus Christ had his moments of doubt in pain.

During this holy week is good to dwell on the trials and tribulations of the Passion (suffering) and Resurrection of Jesus Christ and the events that led up to it.

wishing you a joyful Easter Sunday 2021, :)

Ash Wednesday

I think people get down on medications for treating depression and anxiety because of the myth that they are supposed to be problem solvers, or that they are supposed to render things like behavior and spiritual practice irrelevant. I've had to take antidepressants off and on for a long time. The first time was because my thyroid crashed and it caused a hormone imbalance that sent me into a depression. Medication helped that a great deal. Recently I've found that the immunosuppressants I'm on also have contributed to some anxious side effects so I take medicine to help with this at the moment. I view medications as being one angle in managing a multidimensional health issue, because you have to look after multiple facets of your health -- spiritual practice, eating a balanced diet, avoiding too much stress, getting exercise, having a support system and people to talk to if need be. Everything combined to help us get on with life -- and it's not to say that we can avoid suffering in this life. We always unite our sufferings with Christ, especially during this Holy Week.

Credo in Deum
On 3/30/2021 at 5:31 AM, quia_pulvis said:

I understand that reason medicine can work is because depression can be cause by a chemical imbalance which medicine can correct. Because of this I have always hated when people say all you need is Jesus' love and you won't be depressed. I suppose God can miraculously heal you but is it wrong of me to deny that all you need is Jesus' love to not be depressed?

I've found with my own battles with depression that my part in this relationship with God is to do what I can, within reason, and if the problem still persists after I've done my part, then I take it on faith that His grace is sufficient to help me conquer the cross or carry it faithfully and with charity until my death.  

As for the question "is it wrong for me to deny that all you need is Jesus' love to not be depressed" I would simply say, perhaps.  If your denial is implying that God's grace could never change the outcome of a physical reality then, yes, it is wrong for us to say this.  As Christ said himself, prayer with faith could move a mountain, then it sure as heck can remove depression.   

LuxTenebris

Not Catholic, but I’m a psych in training, so maybe this perspective will help.

Depression can definitely be a biological illness that requires medication to help restore balance in the brain.  However, often it isn’t.  Depression most often results from trauma and stress that have gone undealt with.  For instance, in the clinic I’m doing my practical internships with, we see a lot of people that are homeless or food insecure and often they are depressed.  Who could blame them?  They’ve fallen through the cracks of society and it’s very hard to come back up from that, so it’s normal to feel hopeless when you’re uncertain of meeting your needs for survival from day to day.  Rather than medication, they just need help fulfilling their basic human needs and then we can help the ones that remain depressed with therapy and medication as needed.

It’s not good to make anyone feel bad for taking medication.  Some people genuinely need it to function. It’s also not good to over rely on medication as a cure for depression, because the majority of cases need behavioral and cognitive therapy as well as social resources rather than meds or, at least, only briefly assisted with meds.

In that respect, from an outside perspective so take it with a grain of salt, I would think that it’s possible to both believe in divine intervention and also that God wants people to help each other by helping fulfill those needs through feeding, sheltering, and counseling the distressed as well as inventing SSRIs and such to help people with biological illnesses recover just like we have heart stints and other medical interventions.

Edited by LuxTenebris

eustace-scrubb2

Thank you, Lux.  I fully agree.

I would also like to point out to everyone the existence of the books of Job and Lamentations in the Bible.

I suffer bipolar disorder and to me, medication, psychiatrists, therapists are all God's gift to us in the struggle against suffering.  Very similar to a person in pain taking pain killers etc. etc.  None of the previous take from persevering in Faith and trust in The Lord - confidence in His Divine Providence always present to all.

• 3 weeks later...

quia pulvis and Barbara Therese I will pray for both of you. 

I am not a psychologist, but I do know that exercise can help your depression. Also, do not isolate yourselves from family and good friends. Prayer does help.

God bless, Agatha

On 3/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, quia_pulvis said:

Lately I have been coming to terms with my depression. I don't think it is severe and I pray for those who suffer more than me. 

I suffer bipolar and regard doctors and medication etc. as God's Gift to us in the struggle against suffering. :) 

I suppose God can miraculously heal you but is it wrong of me to deny that all you need is Jesus' love to not be depressed?

Indeed God can miraculously heal and sometimes does so - and no, it is not wrong to deny that all one needs is Jesus' Love to not be depressed.  It is the Love of Jesus that gifts us the quite ordinary means of struggling against suffering.

I hope and pray that you are winning your struggle still against depression.  Depression is a cruel suffering - and united to The Cross suffering is redemptive and therefore a blessing.  

Thank you @Agatha for your prayers.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going through depression also and what really helped me was the consecration to our lady. I have the 33 day to morning glory, but it can be any consecration of your choice. Just a suggestion. It helped me though!!!

We have no idea how much Jesus loves us. He died for us on the cross and He left us the Eucharist His blood, soul and divinity!!! I think that we can also experience His love through the love of our friends, parents, other relatives and in the little things of daily life.

God bless!

Another thing that I suggest is go to Adoration. If our Lord is not enthroned then, adore Him in the Tabernacle, He is still there. pray or just sit there, He knows what you need. That also helps me.

God bless, Agatha