An Old School Catholic Message Board

Canine conundrum

floscarmeli

srmarymichael

When I was discerning Religious Life, I had quite a social life and family life.  It was weird - even before I knew that I was about to find the Community God was calling me to, I started experiencing a detachment from them.  A healthy detachment. It was happening for months - so when it came time for me to really find where God was calling me to and then eventually, it was amazing how the Grace was there when I needed it!!!

So I encourage you to ask God to open your heart to His Will, giving you the grace for healthy detachment on all levels when and if it's time for that.  Jesus, I Trust in You!

If you are called to the Consecrated Life, then go for it!  It's an invitation to an exclusive LOVE RELATIONSHIP with GOD!  He can fulfill your desire for Love!

As a side note - sometimes God gives us the very thing we give up.  When we're willing to abandon all for Him, He cannot be outdone in generosity.  

Jesus, I Trust in You!

• 2 weeks later...
Sponsa-Christi
On 4/10/2021 at 5:09 PM, floscarmeli said:

Thank you all for all of your thoughtful replies! 

All of your different perspectives have shown me one thing at least—that I may not be quite ready to make this decision.

I’m going to continue prayer, rest back, and trust Him. I’m sure I will know the answer in due time.

Thanks again!

Kudos to you for your self-knowledge and honesty with yourself! Those are two qualities that will serve you very well if or when you are ready to start discerning religious life more seriously. 

• 3 weeks later...
Hufflepuff
On 4/8/2021 at 9:24 PM, Totally Franciscan said:

I have had dogs all my life, sometimes two or three at a time.  I now do dog sitting and have quite an extensive clientele.  So, I know dogs!  One thing that impressed me that I had not known before, is that dogs respond to love no matter who gives love.  One of my clients tells me that in the parking lot, she opens the car door, and her dog runs straight to my front door.  While under my care, the dogs seem quite happy with the love and attention I give them, as well as the walks and treats!  While they are with me, I notice no sadness or depression. I always make sure it is a fun experience for them.  After finding a wonderful home for your dogs, they will be fine, healthy, and happy.  It will be much harder on you than the dogs.  Detachment from things of this world is part of religious life.  Knowing your dogs are well cared for will make that transition easier for you.  

It's funny that I came on here to look for this type of question, about leaving behind dogs. As one dog professional to another, I know what you say is true. My clients love coming to do training with me. They see me at the fence to the play yard, and they are eager to leave their friends to come train. My worry is that no one will love my dog like I love him :( Which is kind of silly since my parents would keep him, and I know they would take good care of him. 

I love the idea of bringing him with me to the convent, if I were to enter, but I don't think it would be good for me. My dog is everything to me. He's been there for me in ways that no friend or family member could be. He's the reason I am who I am today and the reason that I'm a dog trainer. However, I would be so attached to my dog that it would hinder my life in a community of sisters. I would be too busy worrying about him that it would inhibit relationships with the other sisters. It was really helpful for me to write that out because I've never articulated that for myself. 

• 2 weeks later...
islandanchoress

Religious life lived in solitude allows critters. Think about it? I have five cats, all rescues, and the only two others on the island, rather neglected farm cats, now live here of their choice.

Every critter I have had has been a rescue; a holy work.  Serving others in solitude, in practical ways,  and that deepens prayer and dedication wonderfully.   

gloriana35

;) Get past RCIA and your Confirmation for now. You indeed may be called to some form of consecrated life, but it's not time to make other decisions as yet. (I dearly hope no-one becomes a solitary because of critters....)

islandanchoress
18 hours ago, gloriana35 said:

;) Get past RCIA and your Confirmation for now. You indeed may be called to some form of consecrated life, but it's not time to make other decisions as yet. (I dearly hope no-one becomes a solitary because of critters....)

Interesting distortion!

Surely various lifestyle facets and choices will guide and inform our future. I don't think we are meant to ...brutalise.. ourselves to live our vocation.  If that applies then we do need to think again and loo at other facets. The solitary life is a full vocation equal to every form of religious life. Which is what I was expressing. And we are pointed and guided to it within ourselves and within our life facets.  So why wrong then to decide on solitude for a deep love of animals? 

many hermits and others do have pets etc. Many. Two facets of the same diamond. l  

I think fair enough if you feel attracted to a solitary life looking after animals. But I don't think it should be confused with a religious vocation. 

My comment about 'it's not time yet' had to do with the original post, and our contributions. I myself am a solitary. Though I had been a religious Sister, illness prevented my continuing in community life (40 years ago), and I made private vows and was in various ministries. I did not recognise that I was going to end up as a solitary until I had been in vowed life for about 18 years. (Though I am urban.) 

It is a disciplined life - crafted around the liturgy - and contains no horror stories. We don't wear hair shirts or live on bread and water. :D But I would not recommend that anyone who is only just preparing for Confirmation, even if she is past 30, embark on consecrated life without more direction and consideration. I love my cat, indeed, but, since being a solitary usually means one is quite mature in religious life, I was teasing that I hoped no-one would embrace this very lonely (at times) way because of the dogs.