An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayer request for my father: may he rest in peace

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

My father is in the ICU on aided breathing, currently what they believe to possibly be a Myasthenia gravis crisis. The long and short of it is that they thought it was a stroke at first but instead is a neurological condition called Myasthenia gravis -- it can affect someone's breathing and they are trying to treat it at the moment. They say that things can get worse before they get better but it's still a vulnerable situation.

Unfortunately I live overseas and there isn't much I can do at the moment but pray.  I would appreciate yours as well.

Edited by Ash Wednesday
updated

• 2 weeks later...
Ash Wednesday

Update: The long story short is that it's apparently some severe form of neuropathy and in order to try to make a long recovery, we have to decide on the next course of treatment, but it's a long and difficult road as he is old and very weak right now. He has had sepsis and pneumonia just this week. At the moment it is a bit difficult to know for sure, my oldest brother has power of attorney and we may have to decide this for him. More or less we do not think he would be ready to give up, though we know that if things make a turn for the worse, he will not want that prolonged. If we cannot continue treatment, we will just try to make him as comfortable as possible, arrange for a priest, say goodbye and leave the rest to the Heavenly Father. 

Our family had a zoom call, I did get to see him but he could not hear us. He was always so hard working and independent his whole life, he suffers so much and my heart is absolutely broken for him. 

I am usually a very private person online, or on social media. But I suppose I'm opening up here for the sake of soliciting your prayers. 

Ash Wednesday

Well, this week was a trip. Basically on Friday morning we pretty much were preparing ourselves for him to die. But by Friday evening my dad had much improved lucidity and ability to communicate, and to everyone's surprise, it turns out he is going to be able to continue treatment. So we were able to move forward and in the past day or so have had some encouraging news of improvement.

His condition IS reversible, but he is not out of the woods yet. It will be a very long and difficult journey given his age. He will need a lot of prayer, and I certainly believe in the power of prayer and have seen it this week, not just for him but the strength it is giving our family.  The emotional stress of this year and this situation in particular at times has almost felt like more than I could bear. Though I trust that whatever God will allow and His timing in all things will be for the best, even when it seems like the worst.  Thank you for your prayers, keep going!

• 1 month later...
Ash Wednesday

Unfortunately things have gone downhill since my last update as my father is no longer responsive and will likely be passing away soon. Please pray for him and my family. Thanks.

• Ash Wednesday changed the title to Prayer request for my father: may he rest in peace
Ash Wednesday

I posted on phatmass in 2003 with a broken heart when my mother passed away.

Now 18 years later I have to share that my father has now passed away, your prayers for his soul would be so much appreciated! Also pray that I can travel safely and without issue to America and back for the funeral. 

Thank you for being there for me all these years, phatmassers. I appreciate you.