An Old School Catholic Message Board

WOKE

little2add

The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue

I.E.: Most people don't care about Catholic Society & Culture Websites or preaching the holy Apostolic Truth.
I wish they were woke like me.

• 2 weeks later...
little2add

Catholic Schools and the Woke Revolution

David G Bonagura, Jr.

SATURDAY, MAY 8, 2021

Now the 2020 cultural upheavals threaten to make Catholic education indistinguishable from public education. The changes that the Woke Revolution seeks would not upset the structure of Catholic schools as happened fifty years ago. Rather, the Woke Revolution demands changes within existing curricula that would replace whatever is left of Catholic identity and of Catholic social thought with noxious secular ideologies that seek not the Kingdom of God, but the Kingdom of Men and Women at War with their Creator.

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2021/05/08/catholic-schools-and-the-woke-revolution/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Clean Water

You should do yourself a favor and listen to Black Catholic Gloria Purvis's new podcast. She was fired by EWTN for speaking out against racism. In a recent episode she talks about CRT and what Catholics need to know about it. And if it's compatible with Catholic social teaching. 

47 minutes ago, Clean Water said:

You should do yourself a favor and listen to Black Catholic Gloria Purvis's new podcast. She was fired by EWTN for speaking out against racism. In a recent episode she talks about CRT and what Catholics need to know about it. And if it's compatible with Catholic social teaching. 

Am I the only person who finds it extremely weird to refer to someone as "Black Catholic Gloria Purvis"?

Heck I am black why not refer to me as "Black Catholic Peace" from now on.

How about "White Catholic Dust" while we are at it?

Irish Catholic Joe Biden?

Hispanic Pope Francis?

Clean Water
1 minute ago, Peace said:

Am I the only person who finds it extremely weird to refer to someone as "Black Catholic Gloria Purvis"?

Heck I am black why not refer to me as "Black Catholic Peace" from now on.

How about "White Catholic Dust" while we are at it?

Irish Catholic Joe Biden?

Hispanic Pope Francis?

Fair and noted. You probably have the same issue with Black Catholic Messenger? I wouldn't refer to you as Black Catholic Peace now that you've raised the objection. I don't think Gloria has spoken out against it but if she did it should be respected and stopped.

1 minute ago, Clean Water said:

Fair and noted. You probably have the same issue with Black Catholic Messenger? I wouldn't refer to you as Black Catholic Peace now that you've raised the objection. I don't think Gloria has spoken out against it but if she did it should be respected and stopped.

I don't have any issue with "Black Catholic Messenger" or the idea of there being uniquely black cultural expressions of Catholicism, but it feels weird to identify a specific individual that way when referring to him. It sounds a bit as though you see the person as being in an entirely different class of people than yourself, so he must be given a unique title to differentiate him. He is the "other" as opposed to the rest of us normal ("white") Catholics.

Clean Water
2 minutes ago, Peace said:

I don't have any issue with "Black Catholic Messenger" or the idea of there being uniquely black cultural expressions of Catholicism, but it feels weird to identify a specific individual that way when referring to him. It sounds a bit as though you see the person as being in an entirely different class of people than yourself, so he must be given a unique title to differentiate him. He is the "other" as opposed to the rest of us normal ("white") Catholics.

Appreciate that explanation and see the point made. I was following the lead I've seen Black Catholics in media refer to themselves as. Gloria Purvis speaking about CRT and her being a Black Catholic is an important fact I think. If she wasn't Black I think it would change things on this particular topic. The same with her being fired by EWTN for speaking against racism. But there's probably a different way I could phrase it. Thanks again for pointing that out. 

1 minute ago, Clean Water said:

If she wasn't Black I think it would change things on this particular topic. The same with her being fired by EWTN for speaking against racism.

What I'm saying is this particular topic centers on her being a Black Catholic. If she was a white woman speaking pro CRT and being fired from EWTN for speaking out against racism it would be important and worth listening to. But Gloria being a Black Catholic makes it even more important. 

8 minutes ago, Clean Water said:

What I'm saying is this particular topic centers on her being a Black Catholic. If she was a white woman speaking pro CRT and being fired from EWTN for speaking out against racism it would be important and worth listening to. But Gloria being a Black Catholic makes it even more important

I wouldn't make this distinction everytime for the exact reasons you highlighted. Only when it's key to the topic being discussed. Again thanks again for what you pointed out. Hope you've been well. God bless.

Clean Water

Alessandra Harris co founder of Black Catholic Messenger on "woke"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQwJnTWjGat/?utm_medium=copy_link

"However, there's been a strong backlash against this awaking and knowledge. There are nonstop attacks and disinformation concerning BLM, CRT, and being 'woke'. There is a vocal group of people who, like Sarah in the reading today, do not want Black people to receive part of the inheritance of this country."

Hna.Caridad

Speaking of Black Catholic Messenger...

I can't remember who on Phatmass (maybe it was you?) first introduced me to Black Catholic Messenger.  Whoever it was, I would like to thank you--I've really appreciated reading their articles.

Also, thank you to dUSt for including articles from Black Catholic Messenger on the phatmass home page news feed!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...