An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could you be a cloistered religious in an ugly monastery

NadaTeTurbe

I doubt I could be cloistered. London is a perfect example of places (many not religious) which has a mix of classic architecture and nightmarish buildings which resemble pickles and cigars.

My musing is of another sort. I have never understood why many Religious (and not only those in the cloister) think rural areas are mandatory for mother-houses, novitiates, and the like. When I entered the convent, one novice had a friend who was entering a monastery - near Marble Arch, I believe. (That is about as rural as I ever would get, but be that as it may...) She didn't understand how 'anyone could learn anything about herself in a big city.'

truthfinder

Indeed @gloriana35! Many cloistered contemplative communities, when they were ‘revivals’ in the 16th and 17th century were often quite urban. Except for communities which have a tradition of farming (Benedictines) I’m wondering if some don’t cause themselves troubles by being profoundly in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand, maybe it was a donation or foresight that in generations the city will encroach.  

Antigonos
On 4/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, Nunsuch said:

The exception to this, of course, would be within the Benedictine order, where the vow of stability means that no one can be coerced to move from the place of their perpetual commitment....

Thanks for the clarification, although I thought it was not universal among Benedictines, only in certain foundations.  What happens if a house opens a subsidiary convent, and sends sisters from the mother house?

They cannot “send.”  No one can be forced to go without consent. People must choose to go. 

of course, your question is based upon a generally outmoded understanding of obedience — it’s not “following orders” in most communities today, but rather mutual listening to the will of God. 

NadaTeTurbe
16 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Indeed @gloriana35! Many cloistered contemplative communities, when they were ‘revivals’ in the 16th and 17th century were often quite urban.

Even the carthusians had houses in city - even though this is an order whom vocation *is* to live in isolation. (btw - the architecture of the American charterhouse of the Transfiguration leaves me very... perplexed, but I don't want to criticize it too openly because I'm sure such a venerable order know what they're doing and why they're doing it).

In community where you make a vow of stability, when there's a fondation, it very often goes along the line : "Well, the abbot of our federation wrote to us because we are opening a new monastery in Someplace. If you feel called to join this, please tell me." If no one answer, then superior will write back saying "sorry, we can't."