An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charles de Foucauld

SicutColumba

SicutColumba

If anyone else is in need of a prayer like this, featuring a lumbering, awkward, heavy-handed translation by yours truly. (Ne m’en voulez pas, s’il vous plaît !) Yesterday Pope Francis announced the forthcoming canonization of Blessed Charles de Foucauld, revert, explorer, soldier, brother, priest, missionary, martyr. There’s a fantastic biography about him called Charles de Foucauld, explorateur au Maroc, ermite au Sahara by René Bazin. This prayer is based on a meditation written in Syria in the 1890s. The meditation was adapted and has become very well-known in the following format. Idk I just felt like posting this I hope somebody will be able to get something out of it. I said this prayer when I was going through a hard time and it helped me because it’s of such a simple, profound beauty. image.jpg 

Mon Père,
Je m'abandonne à Vous,
Faites de moi ce qu'il Vous plaira.
Quoi que Vous fassiez de moi,
Je Vous remercie.
Je suis prêt à tout, j'accepte tout,
Pourvu que Votre volonté
Se fasse en moi,
En toutes Vos créatures,
Je ne désire rien d'autre, mon Dieu.
Je remets mon âme entre Vos mains.
Je Vous la donne, mon Dieu,
Avec tout l'amour de mon cœur,
Parce que je Vous aime,
Et que ce m'est un besoin d'amour
De me donner,
De me remettre entre Vos mains sans mesure,
Avec une infinie confiance
Car Vous êtes mon Père.

Father, 

I abandon myself to You. Make of me what You will. Whatever You wish to do with me, I thank You for it. I am ready for anything, I accept everything as long as Your will is done in me and in all Your creatures; I do not wish for anything else, my God. I place my soul in Your hands, and I confide myself to You, my God, with all of my love, because I love You, and this love obliges me to give myself, to put myself entirely in Your hands with infinite trust, for You are my Father.