An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Death Nun" Featured in NYT

Pax17

From the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/us/memento-mori-nun.html?searchResultPosition=1

On 5/18/2021 at 5:34 AM, Pax17 said:

I did try to access the article, Pax - the title "Death Nun Featured in NYT" is intriguing, but there was a cost involved.  My son worked in a senior position in telecommunications for many years and then the media for a quite a few years and travelled around Australia doing the same.  He left and now is married and living a very simple life happily driving public buses in the Transport Dept.  An essential service during COVID thankfully Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum.  

Heck, the New York Times seems to be charging for viewing everything these days, even recipes. 

The article is about Sister Theresa Aletheia Noble, FSP, and her dedication to reviving the ancient discipline of memento mori (“remember your death”).  Here is a link to sister's web site:   https://pursuedbytruth.com/

Hi Pax,

Thank you very much for how to access Sister Theresa's website.  I have now subscribed.  I do think about death now and then, sometimes a bit down, but Hope and trust keeps me going.  Sometimes, I can sort of soar with Joy - but in the Joy times, I do remind Jesus that I am sure that I could possibly be sad to leave His incredible world and people.  My Mum's dying and death revised for me my concept of a holy death.  Mum's body was racked by cancer and she spent her last days in a hospice for the dying (state hospital).  When we visited (and at least one of us was with her until the end and even after), Mum would be full of Joy and it was just like we were visiting her at our family home for a meal Sunday night, not in a hospice, not a hint of anything but Joy.  Towards the end and she and we knew she would not see out the week out.  Mum passed away on Palm Sunday and seemed just to fall asleep.

Her chaplain was a Mercy Sister and Mum was always a bit anxious to not miss out on her rounds.  Mum had a Rosary in her hand and statue of Our Lady on her bedside table.  Sister had given her a recorder in case she would like to leave us with her last words.  The tape was blank.  It was sort of like her saying to us "Don't think you have heard the last from me".  It was her act of Faith and trust in The Lord - in His Heaven.

My Dad's passing was different.  His last words to us as he was admitted to hospital seriously ill, passed away very soon after.  He had been on life support.  He took off the oxygen mask when admitted and said "Well it looks like I'm up s**t creek, this time".  His final words on earth.  He felt, we thought,  Mum would hit Heaven's roof when she discovered he had left us down here to our own devices.

Yep! Most everything costs today.  Because my son was in the media, I know the problems that they are facing due to factors connected to the internet and cell phones (or mobile phones in Australia).  My son left media because he could see the writing on the wall - staff were being let go right left and centre and he felt his turn could come up sooner or later and left, deciding to chose an essential service i.e. bus driving.  He gets out and about and in contact with people.

Regards.......Barb

It's sort of unusual, but now with the internet, we can have friends in the "blogosphere"...people whose web sites and blogs we read and respond to.  And when they die, we mourn their passing, despite the fact we have not met in real life.  This happened earlier this year when a woman whose blog of NYC photos I enjoyed reading passed away at home.  Her friends hadn't heard from her and asked the police to do a "welfare check."  Cathy Aten, an artist with progressive multiple sclerosis, turned to writing a blog which many people enjoyed.  From time to time, I exchanged messages with her...she always responded, even though she only had the use of one hand.  Her illness took a turn for the worse suddenly last year, and she passed.  I was truly sad.  And I have to confess that your absence on Phatmass earlier this year had me concerned.  While it was hard to read of your illness and bipolar episode, at the same time I was glad you hadn't succumbed to the coronavirus.

I did communications work for a bus company on Long Island for awhile.  Bus drivers--and mechanics--are great people.