An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Books

PaxCordisJesu

PaxCordisJesu

I thought I'd make a thread where people can post books that were helpful in their discernment. I'll start it off!

Discerning Religious Life by Sister Clare Matthias, CFR.

I just got this book on Kindle Friday, and it's amesome, I read it all in one day! wish I had had this book years ago!!! It has been and will continue to be so helpful in my discernment, I can honestly say that I am finally at peace in my discernment after what seems like ages of anxiety. It brought up a really good point that I had never heard of. Before, I thought discernment was something we all just had to do and figure out, and yes, it's going to be really stressful with a lot of worries about whether or not you're doing the right thing. But this book talks about whether or not you're ready for discernment, and says that you should be in a particular place before seriously discerning any vocation. I never before thought that there might be such a thing as pre-discernment. It really just blew my mind! 

I'm not going to spoil the book for y'all, but I will just mention a few things that she said were crucial before seriously discerning. 

Correct way of thinking: 

How do you think about God? Yourself? Religious Life? If you have the wrong ideas about any of these, or you're discerning for the wrong reasons, this can seriously hinder your discernment. 

Detachment: 

Am I detached enough to discern? To have the proper disposition in discernment you have to be ready for any answer—able to accept “yes” and able to accept “no.”

Relationship: 

Do you have a relationship with God? Do you spend time with Him regularly? Do you know that He loves you? Genuine discernment flows from relationship, just like deciding to marry someone flows from falling in love with him/her.

gloriana35

Though these are not specifically about discerning a vocation to religious life, the works of Mary Margaret Funk, OSB, are the best 'capsule courses' in ascetic theology that I have seen. I believe they could assist anyone in discernment, regardless of state of life. My only caution is that, though the books are short, they are intended to be read with reflection - don't gulp down the contents in one afternoon. It's best to begin with "Thoughts Matter."

Sponsa-Christi

"And You Are Christ's": The Charism of Virginity and the Celibate Life by Fr. Thomas Dubay is a classic for discerning consecrated virginity, but it's great for other women's celibate vocations as well. 

Virginity by Fr. Rainero Cantalamessa was helpful for me when I was discerning. 

Also, many years ago I was the main author of an upper-level high school textbook on vocations: Vocations: Answering God's Call. It really was meant as a book that was part of an academic course, but it would probably be helpful to any young person who wanted to get a systematic overview of the Church's teaching on vocations in general. 

Giving Voice is an organization of younger Catholic sisters in the US, drawing membership from a range of congregations. They are multi-ethnic and reflect a number of charisms. This is a book with essays by a diverse group of these women: https://www.amazon.com/Our-Own-Words-Religious-Changing/dp/0814645208/

Here is a review of it: https://www.amazon.com/Our-Own-Words-Religious-Changing/dp/0814645208/

• 2 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf
On 5/29/2021 at 7:10 PM, Sponsa-Christi said:

"And You Are Christ's": The Charism of Virginity and the Celibate Life by Fr. Thomas Dubay is a classic for discerning consecrated virginity, but it's great for other women's celibate vocations as well. 

I second that...For more info. on that book, here's a review (and outline) I posted some time ago.

https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com/2015/07/30/book-review-and-you-are-christs/

• 4 weeks later...
Chiquitunga
  • 2 months later...
PrayerSupporter

I was in the library earlier this week and came across a book called Millennial Nuns: Reflections on Living a Spiritual Life in a World of Social Media by the Daughters of Saint Paul (Tiller Press, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, c2021).  While not specifically about discernment, many of the stories in the book tell how different women decided to become a FSP.  In the foreword, Sr. Marie James Hunt says: "Perhaps you know a millennial who may be considering a call to religious life -- or is even just looking to learn more -- and would welcome a copy of this book.  I know that when I was discerning my own path in life, I would have loved a book that gave me an inside glimpse into the life and calling of a religious sister."

Just posting in case this could be of help to someone. 

May God bless.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 5:10 PM, Sponsa-Christi said:

Virginity by Fr. Rainero Cantalamessa was helpful for me when I was discerning. 

Also, many years ago I was the main author of an upper-level high school textbook on vocations: Vocations: Answering God's Call. It really was meant as a book that was part of an academic course, but it would probably be helpful to any young person who wanted to get a systematic overview of the Church's teaching on vocations in general. 

I loved, "And you are Christ's" that was a great book! 

I'm discerning private vows, which is making private vows to chastity, but remaining as a layperson.

This book helped discerning the differences of consecrate virginity vs. Private vows. 

"Single for a Greater Purpose: A Hidden Joy in the Catholic Church"