An Old School Catholic Message Board

donations?

Rivo

So I am not really sure where to put this topic ... in the vs or in the general area .... but a little bit of advice is needed:

our local carmelites always welcome donations, but the mother superior is really humble and doesn't have a list of needed supplies ... they just 'take what is given' and that sort of thing. Does anyone here have any ideas what sort of stuff a carmelite convent might need? What kind of food/pantry donations? Cleaning supplies? 

anyone with experience who could share would be great.

God bless!

Edited by Rivo
spelling

I dont have experience. But some cheese would be nice. And also book tokens.  Any sort of cleaning materials would be appreciated I think. Not sure if Carmelites are allowed wine on special occasions. 

If you are in the US, and you have a local supermarket that sells gift cards or certificates, that might be the way to go. That way, they can purchase anything they might need. 

28 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

If you are in the US, and you have a local supermarket that sells gift cards or certificates, that might be the way to go. That way, they can purchase anything they might need. 

I thought carmelite nuns do not leave the convent?? It sounds like a good idea but I think they need people to bring stuff to them.

Edited by Rivo

gloriana35

Those who are strictly enclosed would have deliveries of food, or extern Sisters, or laypeople who shop for them, so the token would be useful, in any case.

23 minutes ago, Rivo said:

I thought carmelite nuns do not leave the convent?? It sounds like a good idea but I think they need people to bring stuff to them.

It depends on the community. Some do leave the house. I once was taken to visit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway by two Indianapolis Carmelites! And we went to an outdoor concert, too.

But, regardless, someone has to buy groceries. And they need to be paid for. If they have someone else (or perhaps an extern) do the shopping, the gift card would be useful to pay for it. And perhaps they use Instacart?

InCordeJesuEtMariae

Praised be Jesus Christ! (The Carmelite greeting.) :) 

I’ve been in two Carmelite communities here in the US. The communities I was with the Externs don’t leave the monastery either. They rely on benefactors to go out and get their needs. 

I would suggest cash or gift cards so Reverend Mother can ask one of the benefactors to go and pick up what they need. 

Also, they don’t just eat fish and vegetables! Lol. Yes, that was a lot of what we ate because Carmelites don’t eat meat. What I mean is, nuns like to eat treats and sweets too when the occasion calls for it. :) They will take homemade baked goods, candies, chocolates, you name it. Fruits and vegetables are nice as well. 

They wouldn’t ask for desserts, but take it from me that they appreciate it. For feast days, Birthdays, and ceremonies it’s nice for them to have these things around and it’s a nice little comfort for the Sisters. 

truthfinder

One Poor Claire monastery I know was always really keen to get reams of printer paper and stamps. I’m sure most Carmels would feel the same way (or any note paper suitable for sending letters) if they send letters rather than emails.