An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites with the TLM

PaxCordisJesu

PaxCordisJesu

Just for the sake of clarity and future reference I'm starting this post, feel free to add!!

Valparaiso, NE Carmel: exclusive TLM & Latin Office 

Kensington, CA Carmel (formerly in Canyon, CA): foundation of Valparaiso; now mainly has NO Mass with occasional TLM but uses the pre-Vatican II Carmelite Office, same as Valparaiso 

Elysburg, PA Carmel: foundation of Valparaiso; convent is now closed,  as the community moved to Fairfield 

Philadelphia, PA Carmel: co-foundation of Valparaiso and Elysburg; closed for various reasons,  and the nuns all returned to Valparaiso 

Fairfield, PA Carmel: originally the community in Elysburg, which attempted to found in Fairfield but recently decided to move the entire community there; is another daughterhouse of Valparaiso; TLM and Latin Carmelite Office, same as Valparaiso

Mathoura, Australia Carmel: co-foundation by Valparaiso and Elysburg; exclusive TLM & Latin Office,  same as Valparaiso 

Post Falls, Idaho Carmel: yet another Valparaiso foundation! Has the exclusive TLM & Latin Office, same as Valparaiso 

Traverse City, MI Carmel: exclusive TLM & Latin Office 

Buffalo, NY Carmel: exclusive TLM; full Office in Latin,  but I am not sure if it is the pre-Vatican II or post-Vatican II version but I suspect it is the pre-Vatican II one 

Brooklyn, NY Carmel (will be moving to Pleasant Mount, PA when sufficient funds have been raised): have Sunday TLM; according to their building brochure they hope to "build a Monastery where God will be glorified by the traditional Latin liturgy" which sounds, to me, like they hope make the switch to the TLM exclusively as did their motherhouse, Buffalo Carmel; also have the full office in Latin, again, I am not sure which version 

Littleton, CO Carmel: TLM every Monday; could not find if they pray any of the Office in Latin 

I am curious.  Why is Brooklyn Carmel moving?

Edit:  Just saw my answer in another post.

Edited by clk

Chiquitunga

They have it on their site too, https://brooklyncarmel.org

https://pleasantmountcarmel.org

I only heard of this the other day when I just decided to visit their site at random. Didn’t see the Church Militant article. A friend told me also that the Sisters were unable to buy that land with the disturbing people around tbe monastery. A priest told her they weee wanting to do that first, too bad :(

I really wonder if they conside red Philadelphia but I bet they did. Hopefully there will be enough funds for a new monastery.. two new Spanish Carmelite monasteries being build in Pennsylvania 

I wonder also, there must be so many nuns in both Fairfield and Valparaiso, God will provide of course. 

Edited by Chiquitunga

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would correct... the JMJ Carmels are now using the Roman Office, as that was the office that St. Teresa of Avila chose to use when she founded the Discalced Carmelites.

reminiscere
On 7/12/2021 at 5:23 PM, JHFamily said:

Just thought I would correct... the JMJ Carmels are now using the Roman Office, as that was the office that St. Teresa of Avila chose to use when she founded the Discalced Carmelites.

When did they stop using the traditional Carmelite Rite office?

7 hours ago, reminiscere said:

When did they stop using the traditional Carmelite Rite office?

At some point within the last year.