An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Evil" TV Series

dUSt

I enjoy the show.

Unfortunately, I don't have Paramount+, so I can't see the 2nd season (other than the premier on YouTube)

I've watched season 1 and liked it.  The season 2 premier was really good too!!!

Edited by MIKolbe

5 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

I enjoy the show.

Unfortunately, I don't have Paramount+, so I can't see the 2nd season (other than the premier on YouTube)

I've watched season 1 and liked it.  The season 2 premier was really good too!!!

How does it portray Catholicism?

15 hours ago, dUSt said:

How does it portray Catholicism?

Well.. it's Hollywood portraying Catholicism, so you lose points off the top. I don't think a seminarian would be doing this type of work.  But, it does show Bishops as a bit disconnected and motivated by money/politic-ing, so I guess that might be a little accurate.

I think it uses "parts" of the faith to add credibility to the storyline. And I think it uses those parts accurately enough to further the storyline and add credibility to it. 

For example, David the seminarian struggles with issues of purity and Leland has made it clear that he is very motivated to make sure David doesn't get ordained. 

Powerful, yet over-the-top, things happen when a lady receives communion, which showed how the devil/demons are repulsed with the Eucharist. Plus all the happenings when a rosary is touched by certain people and how evil is repulsed by it.  

What I like most is the show presents the topic of evil as subtle: the devil's biggest trick is to make you believe he doesn't exist. It shows how our battle with evil is real, and even coordinated by many ministers of darkness. It even shows the folly...the arrogance and stupidity of evil when that one kid, after being prepped by Leland for so long, accidently kills himself with the very weapon he was trained to use.

I've been watching some episode reviews on YouTube of season 2. I haven't seen any of season 2 except for the premier. It is humorous, and a bit sad, that some of the people reviewing have no idea what some of the more "catholic" moments mean. Their explanations are....interesting to say the least.

Not sure if that's what you were going for....

17 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

Well.. it's Hollywood portraying Catholicism, so you lose points off the top. I don't think a seminarian would be doing this type of work.  But, it does show Bishops as a bit disconnected and motivated by money/politic-ing, so I guess that might be a little accurate.

I think it uses "parts" of the faith to add credibility to the storyline. And I think it uses those parts accurately enough to further the storyline and add credibility to it. 

For example, David the seminarian struggles with issues of purity and Leland has made it clear that he is very motivated to make sure David doesn't get ordained. 

Powerful, yet over-the-top, things happen when a lady receives communion, which showed how the devil/demons are repulsed with the Eucharist. Plus all the happenings when a rosary is touched by certain people and how evil is repulsed by it.  

What I like most is the show presents the topic of evil as subtle: the devil's biggest trick is to make you believe he doesn't exist. It shows how our battle with evil is real, and even coordinated by many ministers of darkness. It even shows the folly...the arrogance and stupidity of evil when that one kid, after being prepped by Leland for so long, accidently kills himself with the very weapon he was trained to use.

I've been watching some episode reviews on YouTube of season 2. I haven't seen any of season 2 except for the premier. It is humorous, and a bit sad, that some of the people reviewing have no idea what some of the more "catholic" moments mean. Their explanations are....interesting to say the least.

Not sure if that's what you were going for....

This summary is everything I wanted it to be. Thank you for your service. I think I’ll watch the show.