An Old School Catholic Message Board

Australian pro-Gay Law

Machine_Washable

Machine_Washable

The Australian state Victoria recently passed a very evil law. It is supposed to make so called conversion therapy illegal. But in reality the law makes it illegal to discourage sexual deviancy. Has this been big news for Catholics? I did not see anything about it here. I have spoke with some Muslim lawyers from Australia and they have given me examples of what this bill would cover. Example 1 - if a mosque hosted a meeting for Muslim men or women tempted by homosexuality who wanted to avoid sin. Example 2 - if a  gay Muslim came to an imam and asked him advice about sexual temptation and the imam told him to pray and fast. 

This is very disturbing news. I fear that western countries will attempt to outdo each other with these sorts of laws. This law claims that religious leaders can outline a stance opposed to homosexuality if it is kept generic. But in reality it is a sword at the neck of religious leaders who dare oppose this agenda. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-04/victorian-gay-conversion-bill-what-is-it/13116998

Ash Wednesday

There is a similar law and scenario here in the UK. The Church calls gay people to chastity, though they don't require a gay person to take on any therapy to become straight and attracted to the opposite sex. That said, yes, there are some in Catholic circles questioning whether these laws would pave the way to restrict religious freedom, i.e. to what extent the refusal to actively affirm modern gender and sexuality theories would be regarded as hate speech. I think your concerns on whether they will keep moving the goalposts are justified.

There is a somewhat similar law in many European States, forbidding conversion therapy and any force on minors to "change their sexual orientation or gender identity". Given the harm those kind of "therapies" cause, all too often for religious reasons of the families, it is completely right these laws exist.  

No one forces any denomination or whatever to support homosexuality, but just forbids any kind of organisation to tell young folks they have to change. 

It looks like another stepping stobe in cancel culture.

It is not sufficient for non catholics to live their own lives free.  They aim to remove any opposition to their point of view - even silencing an opposing voice is now dwemed insufficient...  whatever point of view that differs from their own must be removed, eliminated and in no way tolerated or allowed to exist.

StellaMaris

This is a wider phenomenon in today's society. You can't just say you agree with what mother church teaches us because doing that is not PC. I study Catholic theology and even there I can't just come out and delicately say: 'yes I agree with the standpoint of the church on the matter of homosexuality' for example, because by doing that I could possibly hurt other classmates who are gay and/or transgender. I study CATHOLIC theology for crying out loud. 

As a sidenote; it is the only college approved by Rome in my entire country, yet there are so many peculiar things going on it might as well not be. 

Machine_Washable
6 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

There is a similar law and scenario here in the UK. The Church calls gay people to chastity, though they don't require a gay person to take on any therapy to become straight and attracted to the opposite sex. That said, yes, there are some in Catholic circles questioning whether these laws would pave the way to restrict religious freedom, i.e. to what extent the refusal to actively affirm modern gender and sexuality theories would be regarded as hate speech. I think your concerns on whether they will keep moving the goalposts are justified.

And this law makes it illegal for parents not to support a child who wants to change their sex. It was marketed as being against conversion therapy but it goes way beyond that. Prayer and fasting is the advice for any Muslim who wants to avoid sexual sin. It comes directly from a hadith and is not supposed to make them straight. But if an Imam gave that advice to a gay Muslim it would be illegal. The same would be true for a Christian religious leader.

I think most people realize conversion therapy is wrong and can be cruel. Reacting to someone being gay doesn't have to be that. I'm glad more teens who have been through it are talking, talking about what went on, the lying to get it over with, the pretending or just running away. That is not 'therapy" to me.

I heard a man talk on PBS, who now works in NYC. He was gay and his mom as he went off to college, on finding out through his tearful talk, disowned him without words. He found out through a sibling, she burned all his things, pics, homemade items that were gifts, posters, everything. My God, if this is what church teaching has some act like, I'm aghast. He called his talk "Hope" because years later, he tried again to connect with her, went to her work, asked someone to call her down from her office, no name. She came down the hall and stopped, saw him and turned around silently. That was it.

As a mom of 3, I can't fathom it and he did find happiness and a long time partner and good job but his Mom didn't have to erase him. That's how some think of this therapy, they are erasing part of them.

I've grown up in a suburb and city as a Catholic and always knew gay men and women since my teens. Most knew since they were young enough to understand. I work and live near gay families. Their charity and good works put many of mine to shame and many go to church more regularly than some Catholics I know. I'm not judging, it's not what I would want for my child knowing how they'd be judged, but I would love them and be there for them always.

I do understand though that some will never see it this way and I pray for them as they pray for those who don't agree.

Speaking as an Australian, I think that we are multi cultural for sure with many differing religious beliefs, including those who claim to have none at all.  I think the time is quite overtly here when we have to acknowledge that Church and state are separate.  We need to live our lives the very best we can as Catholics - and as witnesses.  Personally, I don't think that criticism of the other, be it individuals or the state is in any way productive - all it does is divide rather than unite.  Rather often those actions that divide are hostile with an edge of violence implied i.e. violent protest.

I recall when abortion first became a really big issue in Australia.  Eventually I bowed right out as it was becoming more and more emotional and filled with hatred and implied violent protest.  Later, indeed, it was overtly hatred and violent protest.

It is really quite sad that the homosexual agenda is making such progress throughout the world. This is why it is very important to vote against such measures and write your legislative officials on such measures too. Above all else, we must pray too.