An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priesthood Or Religouse Life

KnightoftheRosary

KnightoftheRosary

Hey I'm new but I was wondering, do you think you should that before discerning or even thinking it's something you should do, should you experience dating first? Hope this made sense. :P

Knight

daugher-of-Mary

I never really picked a point and time to "start discerning", it just gradually happened, and I was serious about religious life before being old enough to date. I decided not to date going into highschool, because I figured I would be taking the chance of losing a vocation. I guess it is just different for different people. lol. Hope that made sense!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I dated once... I haven't since... I didn't have a call while dating, but lately hormones have been wacky and I've founf my self likeing some guy friends of mine... but it will be nothing more than friendship, because I have found a greater "boyfriend" than all the rest ;) My boyfriend is Jesus! If you think you have a call, you may date if you want, but just don't tempt your self! You don't need to date while discerning to see if you want one or the other... The choice is really yours, but if you find your self really drawn to the religious life, pray, and ask God to guide you and be open to what HE has in store for you! But again, it is your choice! Good Luck and God Speed!

God Bless and Mary Protect...
Yours in the Most Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

FutureNunJMJ +

I have never dated mostly because the opportunity never arose. I went to an all girl's high school, so I didn't know any guys. Once I started college I began to feel the calling, I didn't refuse dating, but once again the opportunity hasn't arose. I agree with FutureNun and Daughter of Mary...I'm afraid if I did ever date it would confuse my vocation, but everyone is different.

littleflower+JMJ

Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle,
be our defense against the wickedness
and snares of the devil;
may God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the divine power,
thrust into hell Satan
and all the evil spirits
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

It may confuse you to date while in the process of your vocation discernment. In my opinion, while still open to a calling, you can date all you want. God is stronger than you anyway. When He calls you, you'll know. And no feeble human desire can overtake that of God!

~*AnCoRa33*~

YKC!

Do not play with fire, if you play with fire you will burn!
Your vocation will not always be there if you don't nurture and take care of it. Hope this helps.

Pax Christi,
Rebecca

franciscanheart

I have been taught, and do believe, that dating should be reserved until you are prepared for marriage. If you are unsure of your vocation then maybe you should rethink the whole dating idea.

Just a thought.

with love in Christ,
Laura

• 2 weeks later...

forever and forever i have been running away from the fact that God may be calling me to become a nun. I have no clue. and every time i start to get one, i feel that it is followed by a clue in the opposite direction. I have no clue (i already said that) what i am supposed to do. I am trying to let go and let God work through my life, but it is so hard, especially in the society that we live in today. Im not saying that it is impossible, for i know that it is not, i am just sayin I HAVE NO CLUE... and i am so confused...and lost...

Jessica

God Conquers

God Bless You!

Pray about it and seek council from some trusted friends and spiritual advisors!

God will answer your prayers and show you the desire of your heart and His.

drewmeister2

I will have to say that I did date about a year ago, nothing serious though at all. I don't think there is anything wrong while dating when you have a possible vocation (although at the time I wasn't discerning). I don't feel at the current moment, however, that I am called to be married. The Prior of the Missionary Benedictines in Nebraska said that before I enter their community it would be good for me to maybe see some girls in college (although nothing serious), and see if maybe I am called to be married. You can't know if you are called to be married if you don't know anything about what a relationship (although again nothing really serious) would be like. Just some thoughts.

God Conquers

drewmeister,

I don't think that is a very prudent thing to do AT ALL. If you believe you have a vocation, you should not be dating.

Also, dating should never be "not serious" it is discernment of marriage (maybe not intense at first) with he person you are dating.

You need to guard yourself and your vocation.

Despite what some people believe these days:

YOU CAN LOSE A VOCATION.

If you can lose the grace of God in your life, then it is certainly possible for a vocation to be lost.