An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priesthood Or Religouse Life

KnightoftheRosary

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]You should read up on Buddhist Mind Control. You learn to 'discipline' your mind. Would help a lot with hormones. [/quote]

uhh..or you could try the old-fashioned, but highly effective thorn bush method. ;)

In all seriousness, I don't think Buddhist Mind Control is a good idea at ALL. Prayer is the only sure means of overcoming temptation.

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Aug 10 2004, 01:16 AM']
uhh..or you could try the old-fashioned, but highly effective thorn bush method. ;)

In all seriousness, I don't think Buddhist Mind Control is a good idea at ALL. Prayer is the only sure means of overcoming temptation. [/quote]
I know it is. Cause I practice it. My mind races with thoughts all the time, whether how to create a better desktop, what does that mean from a book, its helped me. So Im proof it does.

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Aug 9 2004, 12:11 PM'] I know it is. Cause I practice it. My mind races with thoughts all the time, whether how to create a better desktop, what does that mean from a book, its helped me. So Im proof it does. [/quote]
anyway to christianize it then?

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Aug 9 2004, 10:10 AM'] drewmeister,

I don't think that is a very prudent thing to do AT ALL. If you believe you have a vocation, you should not be dating.

Also, dating should never be "not serious" it is discernment of marriage (maybe not intense at first) with he person you are dating.

You need to guard yourself and your vocation.

Despite what some people believe these days:

YOU CAN LOSE A VOCATION.

If you can lose the grace of God in your life, then it is certainly possible for a vocation to be lost. [/quote]
God's grace is ALWAYS SUFFICIENT. And we always have all of God's grace for us - we can't lose it - we just can chose not to use it.

Marriage, which I am sure you know, is just as much a vocation as any other calling.

How can you lose a vocation if a vocation is a calling God has for you so you can live your life in the best way for you? If one thought they had a calling to religious life for example and then ignored it and then married a good Christian they didn't necessarily lose their vocation, but rather found their true vocation. How can you say one can lose their vocation? You can only ignore, and chose not to follow your vocation, but your not losing it, just hiding it.

Believing you have a religious vocation does not mean you have one.

DATING IS A GOOD THING - IF YOU ARE DATING IN A HEALTHY, CHRISTIAN WAY.

Just as ppl spend time in formation (dating) and novitiate (engagement) so ppl should date too!

It is not a prudent thing to ignore all possible vocations w/out giving anyone of them a chance, including the married life.

dating should only be done to discern marriage. one should not run around being in formation in every order and seminary until they find the one right for them. likewise one should not run around dating this and that girl until they find the right one. you should not enter into the formation unless you're seriously considering staying there, and you should not date unless that you're seriously considering marrying that girl.

a vocation, from the latin vocare, is a calling from God. if you feel you are called, you should not go distracting yourself with dating, because you would be seeking to follow something other than that which God is calling you to do. If you go off and do something else, you loose the calling towards that life. People can be truly called by God to the priesthood, but then go off and date and decide not to become a priest. they have LOST the vocation which God offered them.

let me clarify, because I know where Leah's coming from and agree to an extent:

a person shouldn't enter into the priesthood or religious life immature. however: to become mature one does not necessarily have to date various girls. one needs to interact with friends and family and take their guidance and advice about it, they should prayerfully discern what their vocation is. One should not come to an absolute assurance that they are to be a priest at a young age and not look into anything else. looking into the possibility of the marriage vocation doesn't mean they should DATE though. I have come to the opinion that having various dating relationships does more to HURT a person than it does to help them mature. Prayerfully considering girls as possible future wives is not wrong of a person who is also discerning a religious vocation: but they should prayerfully discern between the two possibilities and not date unless they have come to the conclusion that they are called to the married vocation. People with a call to Religious Vocations often loose their call by allowing themselves to be distracted with the emotions and feelings of dating. They would not loose their vocation if they just practiced a lil prudence and that and prayed about whether they might be called to the married vocation as opposed to tried it out to see. Pray to God about it and He'll lead you to the path he wants you to follow, don't jump into dating unless He is leading you into the path that leads to the married life just like you wouldn't jump into seminary unless He is leading you into the path that leads to the religious life.

hope that helps clarify

Pax

[quote name='hopeful1' date='Aug 10 2004, 09:21 AM'] anyway to christianize it then? [/quote]
Ok Firstly. It isnt like a temple that can be turned into a Church. Its a technique that helps you control your mind. You cant christinize a mind technique. The whole point of it, is to clear your mind, control your thoughts etc. This means no prayers, not thinking of saints lives etc. Cause that is what your fighting against, constant thought.

When you start it, its iritating coz you have a untrained mind, but after awhile you begin to relax, and then at the end of it, its like ..how can I put this, after completing a big task, and ur done, u feel totally calm and relaxed. :)

God Conquers

Al,

Thanks for some clarification. But it IS possible to lose God's grace. Sin separates us from grace. Just as it can separate us from a calling from God.

If you ignore a call to religious life and then get married, you HAVE lost a vocation. You have taken up a different one, and hopefully will live it out to it's fullest, however it's not God's original plan for you.

It is ridiculous to date while discerning the priesthood or religious life period.
If you are not discerning one of those things, then date to discern marriage.

interesting morph. obviously, i didn't know a whole lot about it, i just said that b/c when i read someone elses reply i thought it sounded like they had issues with it b/c it was buddist ( i really don't care either way) so i was asking it more for their benifit. But it sounds cool, you could use it to clear your mind before you pray, as well as a bunch of other stuff

franciscanheart

you cant control your mind....

urg i cant find the book but the idea behind it was that you cant control it....

thats like telling yourself not to go to the zoo and not think about animals
its like saying dont think of a hippo and then not thinking of a hippo
you cant control where you mind goes

things happen

[quote name='hopeful1' date='Aug 11 2004, 07:37 AM'] interesting morph. obviously, i didn't know a whole lot about it, i just said that b/c when i read someone elses reply i thought it sounded like they had issues with it b/c it was buddist ( i really don't care either way) so i was asking it more for their benifit. But it sounds cool, you could use it to clear your mind before you pray, as well as a bunch of other stuff [/quote]
Yep True. Make your prayer much clearer and maybe even better, since you wont have thoughts shooting thru ur head as you pray. Id say it would work brilliant with the rosary, which is such a long prayer-type.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Aug 11 2004, 09:42 AM'] you cant control your mind....

urg i cant find the book but the idea behind it was that you cant control it....

thats like telling yourself not to go to the zoo and not think about animals
its like saying dont think of a hippo and then not thinking of a hippo
you cant control where you mind goes

things happen [/quote]
Laura. Just read up on it. Plz :)

God Conquers

Hey guys, maybe make a thread on the debate table about mind control, this may not be the best place in the phorum for that discussion.