An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best sites for TLM?

eustace-scrubb2

eustace-scrubb2

Speaking as a former Eastern Orthodoxer, the Novus Ordo bores me to death, but I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the TLM.  During the pandemic, I only watched mass online once or twice.  Or when my chronically ill health keeps me from being able to make it to mass.  It's just excruciating to watch online or on TV.  In person, I can tolerate it, but otherwise, no way.  That said, it didn't occur to me that I should watch the TLM online until I was suggested to do that recently by my Calvinist father(!!!).  This is an excellent idea, but I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the places who air it. :\  I'm not sure which place would be best for me.  And by "best", I mean ones with closed captions with both Latin and English captions (or just English translations) and are pre-recorded.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I figured that this would be the best place to ask, since the main English-language Catholic message board was shut down and the last time I looked at it, the reddit sub for Catholicism was an absolute mess (thanks to people who hate the Church).

pax tecum,

tim+++

truthfinder

Hi Tim,

and welcome to Phatmass. I'm really not aware of anything that is consistently pre-recorded and subtitled - because depending on the location and the priest, there might not be anything to 'hear' to close-caption.

However: livemass.net is a good option.  Its live streams from many of the FSSP's apostolates and will vary between low, missa cantata, and high Masses depending on location.  Most of their English Masses are from the US.  In order to find something prerecorded, you'd have to find a TLM where they record their services (there's definitely a few parishes that do this on youtube).

For the readings, check https://divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/missa/missa.pl

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, and you want to be able to follow the whole Mass, make sure to select "rubrics" and also make sure "Rubrics 1960" are selected - this while almost always guarantee you have the right reading for the day (although this can always change if there is a special local feast that takes precedence).

Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, eustace-scrubb2 said:

Speaking as a former Eastern Orthodoxer, the Novus Ordo bores me to death, but I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the TLM.  During the pandemic, I only watched mass online once or twice.  Or when my chronically ill health keeps me from being able to make it to mass.  It's just excruciating to watch online or on TV.  In person, I can tolerate it, but otherwise, no way.  That said, it didn't occur to me that I should watch the TLM online until I was suggested to do that recently by my Calvinist father(!!!).  This is an excellent idea, but I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the places who air it. :\  I'm not sure which place would be best for me.  And by "best", I mean ones with closed captions with both Latin and English captions (or just English translations) and are pre-recorded.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I figured that this would be the best place to ask, since the main English-language Catholic message board was shut down and the last time I looked at it, the reddit sub for Catholicism was an absolute mess (thanks to people who hate the Church).

pax tecum,

tim+++

I see. Well, it's nice to know that you can "tolerate" our Lord in the blessed sacrament at the NO.

Ash Wednesday

I recommend checking out some parishes or organizations on youtube. My personal recommendations:

St. John Cantius, a very popular church in Chicago. They also stream the rosary and Vespers as well

Youtube channel URL:
https://www.youtube.com/c/StJohnCantiusChurch

St. John Cantius in particular has it in their constitution an allowance to offer both forms of the Mass, and have done so for quite some time, even prior to Cardinal Bernardin in the 80s, so they are unlikely to have issues or changes with the recent Motu Proprio so you can rely on them to have regular broadcasts without significant change.

St. Mary of Pine Bluff Catholic Church

Youtube channel URL:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPOv8zi09j0w0JlN1OTXXOQ

Both these churches broadcast masses in both forms, so you would need to check the video labels or their parish schedule for when the steam is TLM 

eustace-scrubb2
1 hour ago, Peace said:

I see. Well, it's nice to know that you can "tolerate" our Lord in the blessed sacrament at the NO.

Uh, that was rather snarky and rude... It's not that I can "tolerate the Lord" in the NO, it's that I can sit through a liturgical format.  We're making a sacrifice to God through going to any mass (or divine liturgy).  I just find the NO format like nails on a chalkboard.  Have you ever been to an Orthodox liturgy?  It's one of the most beautiful things in the world.  Like heaven come down to earth.  Leaving that for the NO is jarring and a shock.  It's not a matter of the language used (Odox divine liturgy is almost always in the local lingua franca), it's everything else about it.  It's hard for people in my position to understand and process.

Anyhow, thank you for the links, Ash Wednesday and truthfinder!!!!

Edited by eustace-scrubb2

1 hour ago, eustace-scrubb2 said:

Uh, that was rather snarky and rude... It's not that I can "tolerate the Lord" in the NO, it's that I can sit through a liturgical format.  We're making a sacrifice to God through going to any mass (or divine liturgy).  I just find the NO format like nails on a chalkboard.  Have you ever been to an Orthodox liturgy?  It's one of the most beautiful things in the world.  Like heaven come down to earth.  Leaving that for the NO is jarring and a shock.  It's not a matter of the language used (Odox divine liturgy is almost always in the local lingua franca), it's everything else about it.  It's hard for people in my position to understand and process.

If you lived in a posh house and visited someones house that was different or more simple would you insult them that way?  Not everyone needs posh to appreciate their family life or the Lord.

Ash Wednesday
4 hours ago, eustace-scrubb2 said:

Leaving that for the NO is jarring and a shock.  It's not a matter of the language used (Odox divine liturgy is almost always in the local lingua franca), it's everything else about it.  It's hard for people in my position to understand and process.

For what it's worth, I listened to an interview/podcast a while back from a Jewish man who converted to Catholicism and he did hold the opinion that a conservative Jew that is more accustomed to strict formalities in ritual (and in their case praying in a sacred language) would likely have an easier time with the TLM. So that sounds similar to the adjustment you had to make.

On the flip side, while a Protestant Evangelical might still find the Catholic rituals in the Novus Ordo a bit foreign -- if it's prayed in the vernacular, it's likely less of an adjustment and shove into cold water for them compared to the TLM

5 hours ago, eustace-scrubb2 said:

Your mindset is wrong to be perfectly frank with you. You don't worship God in the way that you deem most proper, or the way that is most comfortable to you. You worship God in the way that he desires to be worshiped, and that way is communicated to the faithful via the Church, of which our Lord is the head, and which is guided by the Holy Spirit.

Secondly you are sitting here telling me about the beauty of the XYZ liturgy, how you find the NO lacking in beauty, how you are bored by it, and so forth. You have our Lord himself before you on the altar. You literally have EVERYTHING of any importance right in front of you, and you are complaining because you don't like the music or the format?

Now, if you had just rolled in here and told us how much you love the TLM, I would be totally down with you. But if you are going to come in here and start blatantly disrespecting Holy Mass, given to the Church by our Lord himself, rudeness shall await you.

I say get your mind right. Welcome to Phatmass.

Peace a.k.a. the snarky and rude one.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Peace

eustace-scrubb2
2 hours ago, Peace said:

Your mindset is wrong to be perfectly frank with you. You don't worship God in the way that you deem most proper, or the way that is most comfortable to you. You worship God in the way that he desires to be worshiped, and that way is communicated to the faithful via the Church, of which our Lord is the head, and which is guided by the Holy Spirit.

Secondly you are sitting here telling me about the beauty of the XYZ liturgy, how you find the NO lacking in beauty, how you are bored by it, and so forth. You have our Lord himself before you on the altar. You literally have EVERYTHING of any importance right in front of you, and you are complaining because you don't like the music or the format?

Now, if you had just rolled in here and told us how much you love the TLM, I would be totally down with you. But if you are going to come in here and start blatantly disrespecting Holy Mass, given to the Church by our Lord himself, rudeness shall await you.

I say get your mind right. Welcome to Phatmass.

Peace a.k.a. the snarky and rude one.

Have a nice day.

To be perfectly frank, I think Vatican II was a huge mistake.  Take that as you will.

2 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

For what it's worth, I listened to an interview/podcast a while back from a Jewish man who converted to Catholicism and he did hold the opinion that a conservative Jew that is more accustomed to strict formalities in ritual (and in their case praying in a sacred language) would likely have an easier time with the TLM. So that sounds similar to the adjustment you had to make.

On the flip side, while a Protestant Evangelical might still find the Catholic rituals in the Novus Ordo a bit foreign -- if it's prayed in the vernacular, it's likely less of an adjustment and shove into cold water for them compared to the TLM

Yeah, that makes complete sense to me.

5 hours ago, Mercedes said:

If you lived in a posh house and visited someones house that was different or more simple would you insult them that way?  Not everyone needs posh to appreciate their family life or the Lord.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is a good metaphor.

Btw (and this is to user Peace) I never thought I'd anger people on here so much with a post like this.  I've posted on and off since 2009 or 2010.

3 hours ago, eustace-scrubb2 said:

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is a good metaphor.

So you are ok with someone like me saying "I dislike the EF for it's garishness and tawdry ornaments substituting for simple faith".  Bear in mind I don't think that but it resembles the language you used to accuse the Ordinary Form.

Ash Wednesday
3 hours ago, eustace-scrubb2 said:

To be perfectly frank, I think Vatican II was a huge mistake.  Take that as you will.

This thread is going to go into a bad direction fast, and I do not want this to get into a debate about Vatican II. That is not allowed.

:offtopic:

Can we all please get back on topic and back to posting any helpful websites regarding the TLM, and especially for the sake of keeping this thread on topic and not going into debate since that's not what this thread is for, we really should be handling the liturgical discussion using better discretion, as all forms of the Mass should be treated with respect when discussed.  Otherwise I will have to close the thread. Thank you.

eustace-scrubb2
2 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

This thread is going to go into a bad direction fast, and I do not want this to get into a debate about Vatican II. That is not allowed.

Can we all please get back on topic and back to posting any helpful websites regarding the TLM, and especially for the sake of keeping this thread on topic and not going into debate since that's not what this thread is for, we really should be handling the liturgical discussion using better discretion, as all forms of the Mass should be treated with respect when discussed.  Otherwise I will have to close the thread. Thank you.

Sorry, I didn't know that.  My apologies for the disrespect. :(

3 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

I mean, I think it is a great thing to express love for the TLM. I just don't see why that can't be done without trying to tear down the NO.

6 minutes ago, Peace said:

I mean, I think it is a great thing to express love for the TLM. I just don't see why that can't be done without trying to tear down the NO.

507576285.jpg