An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jägerstätter, Schneider, Vaccines, and Us

fides' Jack

As a person living in Germany and constantly witnessing outright Antisemitism and nationalism amongst those calling Covid-19 a lie forcing us into a dictatorship and what not, I'm disgusted about this article. 
It makes me especially sad when seeing catholic parishioners sharing into those lies. Some of them even got aggressive towards our pastors when they did what the bishop (not the government itself!) told them to do and obligated masks during mass. 

Black Americans have largely stepped up in my area but with a history of being used as guinea pigs some are hesitant. I am proud that many leaders of different backgrounds have helped that cause and got many vaccinated in my state.

I have seen in the medical field many come down with this virus and get very sick and still have months later, horrible side effects (neurological/loss of taste/smell and other things) I have seen coworkers get Covid pos after vaccine but it was limited to a "flu like" symptom, not the more horrific ones that others have had. The fact some will still get it is not a reason not too, because it lessens the virus's symptoms. The younger people getting it now is sad also because they can't get the vaccine. I've seen moms lose their life afraid of the vaccine and children are left alone. I see children on ventilators not able to breath properly and want to cry. It's easy to sit in an arm chair and say things but there is so much misinformation out there it's scary.

I don't demonize those who wont help control the virus, but obey the rules. Don't go into a store or office without a mask if stated you need it. I find it very disturbing when in a medical office, some will try to air political views while they are ushered to the door. (or they pull it down in the room) I had a doctor say he'd dismiss someone if they continued that stupid behavior. Respect is 2 way.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:16 PM, hakutaku said:

You failed to do that because the section I quoted explicitly says I was right.  It says you are not causing an abortion by getting a vaccine.

And I didn't outright disagree with you.  I was showing that it didn't matter whether it was causal or not for it to be evil.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:33 PM, hakutaku said:

I see anti-covid-vaxxers as about as intelligent as smokers.

Oh, there you go!  I've never been a smoker, but have always wanted to try pipes, and probably wouldn't mind an occasional cigar.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:33 AM, debc said:

I don't demonize those who wont help control the virus, but obey the rules. Don't go into a store or office without a mask if stated you need it. I find it very disturbing when in a medical office, some will try to air political views while they are ushered to the door. (or they pull it down in the room) I had a doctor say he'd dismiss someone if they continued that stupid behavior. Respect is 2 way.

I don't obey the rules if they're unconstitutional in my country, such as mask mandates.

That being said it IS constitutional for a private business owner to kick me out if he wants to, for really any reason, so I won't even argue, if I'm asked to leave I will.

I agree, people need to be respectful on both sides, especially with in-person confrontations.

(This is for the US, of course - not all reading this live here)

My point in the last post being that I've seen far, FAR more disrespect against the anti-covid-shot people than the other way around, especially in the Catholic world.

It's really rich how an atheist can use the term "right side of history." So the universe definitely has no God, but it has a telos?

lololololol

On 8/12/2021 at 10:26 PM, fides' Jack said:

My point in the last post being that I've seen far, FAR more disrespect against the anti-covid-shot people than the other way around, especially in the Catholic world.

I understand that you want to be treated with more political correctness, but cafeteria vaxxers are literally causing people to die of COVID.

Just like they did back in 1931 when they opposed smallpox vaccines.

b03ja2i7n3h71.jpg

2 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

It's really rich how an atheist can use the term "right side of history." So the universe definitely has no God, but it has a telos?

Hmm?  Who was talking about the universe?  Last I checked, human history isn't the same thing.

Edited by hakutaku

16 hours ago, hakutaku said:

Hmm?  Who was talking about the universe?  Last I checked, human history isn't the same thing.

Ok, so there is no God, but human history has a telos, and you are qualified from where you stand to make judgements on it?

Have fun with that mate.

17 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Ok, so there is no God, but human history has a telos, and you are qualified from where you stand to make judgements on it?

Its not some monumental undertaking, right?

We record history for a reason, right?  That reason isn't a secret, right?  Don't we record history so we can learn from it?

Why do we learn anything?  Is it to make our lives worse?  Of course not!  We learn so that we can make our lives better!

So tada! The purpose of our recording of history is to learn how to make our lives better!

So all that "on the wrong side of history" does is designate something that failed to make our lives better based on the historical record we have created to identify precisely that!

Edited by hakutaku

On 8/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, hakutaku said:

Its not some monumental undertaking, right?

We record history for a reason, right?  That reason isn't a secret, right?  Don't we record history so we can learn from it?

Why do we learn anything?  Is it to make our lives worse?  Of course not!  We learn so that we can make our lives better!

So tada! The purpose of our recording of history is to learn how to make our lives better!

This is rather simplistic. And wrong. Off the top of my head, some people record history so they can live on in fame and glory for all posterity. Some things we learn actually make our lives worse.

How dull and uncreative. The holes in this argument pretty much poked themselves.

You are not a serious atheist. You're a quaint throwback to the pop-atheism of the early 2000's. Thanks for the nostalgia.

• 1 month later...