An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning Consecrated Virginity & SD

CatholicVisions

CatholicVisions

I’m looking for, if possible, free spiritual direction to help me discern my call to Consecrated Virginity. Does anyone have any advice on where to turn? Money is tight right now. 

Thank you,

brigit

Sponsa-Christi

First of all, pray for God to send you the right spiritual director!

But practically, I would just start out by asking any holy priest you know and feel comfortable with if he would be willing to be your SD, or if he could suggest someone else who might be willing to take this on. Or, you could ask your parish priest for recommendations; or even your local diocesan Vocation Office if they could recommend someone.

Of course, a SD doesn't have to be a priest. Although I do find that holy diocesan priests tend to "get" consecrated virginity more intuitively. There are many laypeople who also do spiritual direction, but I think aspiring consecrated virgins really should have a SD who is also living out a call to celibacy.

Your SD doesn't need to be a great expert on all things related to consecrated virginity. He (or she!) just needs to have a basic grasp on what consecrated virginity is and a respect for the value of this vocation within the Church. The main job of a SD is to help you in your own personal relationship with God and your process of discernment, not necessarily to teach you everything there is to know about being a consecrated virgin. In terms of learning about this vocation in more depth, you can do that by talking to CVs and making use of resources on your own. 

SicutColumba

This is good advice from Sponsa Christi but I think if someone is asking you to pay for spiritual direction, you should absolutely take a hike. Showing your gratitude to your SD with occasional, spontaneous favors or gifts is fine and good. Being asked to pay regular fees is wrong and to me it borders on exploitation. 

Edited by SicutColumba

Sponsa-Christi

I'd agree, @SicutColumbaThe only time I would be ok with paying for SD is if it was part of a directed retreat or something. 

Your regular SD, especially one who is helping you discern, should see you without charging anything. I think it's a conflict of interest to pay for SD this way. 

My own spiritual director was telling me that he thinks it is a disgrace for people to have to 'pay for help in seeing the truth.' (He is Anglican, and from a wealthy background, in a prestigious church.) 

God's Beloved
On 8/14/2021 at 8:08 AM, CatholicVisions said:

I’m looking for, if possible, free spiritual direction to help me discern my call to Consecrated Virginity. Does anyone have any advice on where to turn? Money is tight right now. 

Thank you,

brigit

Just sent you a private message!