An Old School Catholic Message Board

fides' Jack's Mega Anti-Vax Thread

fides' Jack

44 minutes ago, fides' Jack said:

Well, I don't know the exact order or timing of future events.

That's not what I asked.  How will the vaccine cause the economy to not recover?

Fatalities from Covid-19 are over counted. Not drastically, perhaps, but over counted.

The cohorts most at risk are obvious, and the differences are stark.

Risks from the vaccine appear to mimic the risks from infection with SARS-COV-2, but at a lower rate.

Risk profiles are by cohort and then by individual. A healthy 20 year old is probably safe forgoing the vaccine. A healthy 50 year old is a more difficult case.

You need to consider comorbidities. If you are obese, then get the shot. But that's not necessarily going to save you. It just improves your odds. So if you are obese by choice, you want to save yourself, you better get to work. Them's the breaks. Hypertension? Probably get the shot. But again, lifestyle choices can play a role.

The shot isn't magic.

Being sedentary is bad.

Being inside is bad.

An awful lot of people are going to treat the shot as if it were enough. It really isn't, and it's not clear at all that everyone should get it. Since it doesn't prevent infection or transmission, you've no need to avoid the unvaccinated after getting the shot. None at all.

And no, your ill-fitting mask that you wear for 8 hours a day isn't doing you any good.

Back in the 80s we probably had 3 pr more of these pandemics, but back then it qas "Nasty bug going around, dress warm and be careful." and that was the end of it.

Its a common cold... if we tuen the world upside down everytime a 'cold-sized' threat appeared, we may as well move into a cave and renounce living all together.

9 hours ago, Didacus said:

Back in the 80s we probably had 3 pr more of these pandemics, but back then it qas "Nasty bug going around, dress warm and be careful." and that was the end of it.

Its a common cold... if we tuen the world upside down everytime a 'cold-sized' threat appeared, we may as well move into a cave and renounce living all together.

I think that's a slight overstatement. It's a SARS variant, so it hits harder than viruses that cause the common cold. I think. It is largely age specific, but I've lost five co-workers to this. What percentage of cases that is, I'm not sure, but it seems out of step with normal medical deaths on my job. Did they have comorbidities? Yes. 

It seems to be worse than a bad influenza (even if we halve the number of deaths). It is age specific, though.

The mainstream is not trying to honestly assess it, so that makes judgement difficult.

11 hours ago, Didacus said:

In what country did you live in the 80's that had overflowing ICU's and shortages of ventilators due to pandemics?

8 hours ago, Mercedes said:

In what country did you live in the 80's that had overflowing ICU's and shortages of ventilators due to pandemics?

What is the IFR of SARS-COV-2?

On 9/2/2021 at 3:16 PM, Winchester said:

Fatalities from Covid-19 are over counted. Not drastically, perhaps, but over counted.

Other way around, actually:

https://science.thewire.in/health/chart-the-global-problem-of-underreporting-covid-19-deaths/

Around the world, actual coronavirus deaths are estimated to exceed reported deaths by 113%. The researchers said that underreporting happened for a lack of testing in deaths that occurred outside of hospitals, especially in countries with a lack of access to health services, but also that weak reporting systems could have an impact.

1 hour ago, hakutaku said:

Sorry, I was being American, not global. I pity the countries that have been even worse than the US in tyrannical panic, and the incentive is of course to go with greater numbers to promote fear and submission, but I don't know their policies as well as the policies of the terrorists that occupy and rule the people in my political union.

It's possible they were undercounted elsewhere. I believe in the US, they're overcounted, although at the beginning they were undercounted.

6 hours ago, Winchester said:

Sorry, I was being American, not global.

If you read the article, you will see that it gave US specific numbers also:

Among the most affected countries, Brazil and the US fared slightly better, with estimated actual deaths around 50% higher than reported deaths.

So the US under-reported COVID deaths.

Edited by hakutaku

13 hours ago, hakutaku said:

I'm sure some people have come up with that conclusion.

16 hours ago, Mercedes said:

4.6 million to date.

That's not an IFR. That's an absolute number of deaths with/ due to SARS-COV-2 infection. Absolute numbers aren't rates.

So...what's the IFR?

On 9/3/2021 at 7:14 AM, Winchester said:

What is the IFR of SARS-COV-2?

Instrument Flight Rules?

On 9/3/2021 at 6:37 PM, hakutaku said:

Only if you believe that anyone who died after getting a positive test within a couple months of dying, or who displayed mild symptoms such as a cough before death, should be a reportable case of covid death.

It's laughable.

• dUSt changed the title to fides' Jack's Mega Anti-Vax Thread