An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-Catholic woman veiling at Mass.

Futurecatholiclady

Futurecatholiclady

Hi,

As a current Non-Catholic woman (at present) would it be inappropriate if I veiled when I go to mass? 

Edited by Futurecatholiclady

• Futurecatholiclady changed the title to Non-Catholic woman veiling at Mass.
The Guardian Angle

I don't think Catholic women are required to veil any longer. Very few of them do. But I say if God is calling you to do that, then do it.

Futurecatholiclady

Thank you for your responses. It is something that I feel would be appropriate for me to do (even though I realise it isn't mandatory). There are a lot of women who do veil at the church I go to however, they are Catholic.

I am still in the fumbling around stage at Mass and don't want to look holier than thou or just out of place anymore than I do whilst trying to figure out when I need to stand, sit, pray during the Mass.

1 hour ago, Futurecatholiclady said:

Hi,

As a current Non-Catholic woman (at present) would it be inappropriate if I veiled when I go to mass?

Well that depends. Are we talking the hijab or the burka?

Credo in Deum
22 minutes ago, Futurecatholiclady said:

Thank you for your responses. It is something that I feel would be appropriate for me to do (even though I realise it isn't mandatory). There are a lot of women who do veil at the church I go to however, they are Catholic.

I am still in the fumbling around stage at Mass and don't want to look holier than thou or just out of place anymore than I do whilst trying to figure out when I need to stand, sit, pray during the Mass.

Don't worry about looking "holier than thou" to others. Caring about what they think of you would be human respect, a sin which has caused many to lose their way. 

God bless. 

Edited by Credo in Deum

11 minutes ago, Peace said:

Well that depends. Are we talking the hijab or the burka?

LEAVE HER ALONE, you big bully! She's just trying to do the right thing here, and she doesn't need your sarcasm to confuse her even more - newbies don't always recognize the jaded humor of experienced old hands. 

FutureCatholicLady - It's not inappropriate to veil, and you already understand that it's not mandatory. (At least until Dr. Fauci issues a new mandate!)

3 minutes ago, Luigi said:

LEAVE HER ALONE, you big bully! She's just trying to do the right thing here, and she doesn't need your sarcasm to confuse her even more - newbies don't always recognize the jaded humor of experienced old hands. 

FutureCatholicLady - It's not inappropriate to veil, and you already understand that it's not mandatory. (At least until Dr. Fauci issues a new mandate!)

@Futurecatholiclady Your knight in shining armor Luigi has arrived!

Welcome to Phatmass.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:53 AM, Credo in Deum said:

Don't worry about looking "holier than thou" to others. Caring about what they think of you would be human respect, a sin which has caused many to lose their way. 

God bless. 

I agree.  We have no control at all over what others might think.  To think that I know what others think, is merely imagination.   If I do feel called to something or other and others quite overtly criticize me for it - that is The Cross in following The Will of God in life.   Persecution of some kind in life is almost a badge of discipleship of Jesus.  In reading the lives of the saints most all without exception have had deep suffering of some kind or another to endure.

If you feel called to veil at Mass, do so.  Try to disconnect yourself from what others might think.

God bless and guide you :) 

• 4 weeks later...
StrivingForSanctity

Of course it's okay for non catholic women to veil!
In fact, I would encourage any woman in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament to veil. 
Veiling is a beautiful way of humbling ourselves before Christ, who is present in the Eucharist.