An Old School Catholic Message Board

EWTN called out by Pope Francis

Mercedes

The Pillar reports.

In remarks published this week in a Jesuit journal, Pope Francis drew attention for his comments about a “a large Catholic television channel that has no hesitation in continually speaking ill of the pope” — a television station largely understood to be EWTN.

At least among Catholic media figures, the remark has stoked a great deal of conversation, if only because EWTN is both the largest Catholic media conglomerate in the game, and also the most controversial.

Of course, it is somewhat awkward when the media covers the media; it's hard to claim objectivity when one is writing about others working in the same space. And it is especially awkward to write about the network for which one used to work.*

But disagreement over EWTN — and its purported manner of “speaking ill” about Pope Francis — point to the challenges for American Catholics — and for the Church’s life and ministry — posed by the Catholic media landscape.

The problems of Catholic media are the problems of institutional media writ small. Legacy outlets have, for decades and across several pontificates, cultivated a crowd and a viewpoint to which they pander.

Whether it comes in the form of pompous TV punditry or shrill editorializing, ecclesiastical coverage has polarized right alongside the secular outlets which it aspires to ape, be it Fox News or the New York Times.

Along the way, Catholic media figures have carved up the Church — readers, writers, bishops, and even popes — into “our people” and “those people,” with content and commentary skewed to fit the divide.

Within the microclimate of the Catholic media world, that approach leads to sometimes comical extremes: the Raymond Arroyo Show airing grainy cell phone conversations with Archbishop Viganó, despite the archbishop’s discredited public reputation and open hostility to the very concept of Vatican II, or the National Catholic Reporter making heroic editorial contortions to avoid acknowledging Pope Francis’ repeated denunciations of legal abortion or rejections of same-sex marriage.

Read on here.

KnightofChrist

"There is a large Catholic television channel that has no hesitation in continually speaking ill of the pope. I personally deserve attacks and insults because I am a sinner, but the Church does not deserve them. They are the work of the devil." -Pope Francis, speaking of EWTN

Papa says EWTN is the devil. 

I stopped watching them mostly the last few years. I noticed a change after Mother Angelica died. I don't like the bashing hid under piousness, the passive aggressive talk about things he said or other bishops. When Pope John Paul ll said things Mother didn't agree with, she said she would not argue, he was Pope.

I feel bad that Pope Francis sees and hears others on "Catholic" stations and videos wish he was gone. How sad for our religion.

I only watch it very occasionally these days. I haven't noticed anybody criticising the pope. I sometimes watch the pro life discussions and the Journey Home is good but even that's changed.  But a lot of it is is very repetitive. And the childrens programmes are awful. I think it's had its day. 

I haven't watched enough of EWTN regularly to really comment on it since I usually just field the news from various sources in bits and pieces. With youtube, blogs, websites and social media it's a whole different ball of wax these days as far as getting Catholic news or discussing current events. :coffee:

KnightofChrist

I don't watch ETWN much, but what I've seen doesn't deserve to be demonized. 

But maybe I missed it when they promoted bowing down to idols in the EWTN gardens. 

2019-10-16_11-15-26-1024x578.thumb.png.d5fadf4475631968735850b322752866.png

0db3b465-0584-4097-9f80-acd435b789ff-e1570263880162.jpg.9fd84a829e2472c1504867b591f1ccc5.jpg

3 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

I don't watch ETWN much, but what I've seen doesn't deserve to be demonized. 

But maybe I missed it when they promoted bowing down to idols in the EWTN gardens. 

2019-10-16_11-15-26-1024x578.thumb.png.d5fadf4475631968735850b322752866.png

0db3b465-0584-4097-9f80-acd435b789ff-e1570263880162.jpg.9fd84a829e2472c1504867b591f1ccc5.jpg

Yeah you just couldn't resist to take another cheap shot at Pope Francis I see.

KnightofChrist

God bless Mother Angelica, but I'm sure if alive today she'd be accused of being working for Satan too. Because she never held back on the truth. As can be seen in the video. 

I'm no fan of PF as I think most here are well aware. However EWTN is cringe. 15 yrs ago it was low production value but wholesome. The last I saw they gave way too much airtime to Raymond Arroyo, who is constantly "playing" what he must think a journalist is on TV, theatrically. Then they have the "papal posse." It's low dignity and cringe. And they go well over the line in terms of criticizing PF. 

HOWEVER If I could get one message to the Pope it would be: if you dislike division why not try being less divisive, to see if that helps? 

Edited by Lilllabettt

KnightofChrist
6 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

I'm no fan of PF as I think most here are well aware. However EWTN is cringe. 15 yrs ago it was low production value but wholesome. The last I saw they gave way too much airtime to Raymond Arroyo, who is constantly "playing" what he must think a journalist is on TV, theatrically. Then they have the "papal posse." It's low dignity and cringe. And they go well over the line in terms of criticizing PF. 

HOWEVER If I could get one message to the Pope it would be: if you dislike division why not try being less divisive, to see if that helps? 

I can see how it being cringe is possible. I haven't really watched it regularly in about 15yrs. Even then I listened mostly, on Shortwave radio. But is it the devil's work? 

And yes, this unites how?

Edited by KnightofChrist