An Old School Catholic Message Board

EWTN called out by Pope Francis

Mercedes

Pope Francis is a lot like Jesus, wanting to unite and have us love each other and help each other.

Mother Angelica was a good nun but as she got older, she got more strict and as Raymond Arroyo said, "more impatient, more dooms day" and when her final stroke came, she changed again. She was afraid of change but obeyed the Pope. When John Paul ll said alter girls were okay after she hated the idea, she said she would say it no more. That was it. Altar girls don't make girls want to be priests, they like helping and I've seen decades of them in my life. Things like that divide the church, when someone wont yield because "It always was this way"  The fear evoked just from something as minor as that was another crack.

This Pope has brought many back to see the church, to at least listen when they had shut off their ears, but the ultra conservatives will drive some of them away again. My opinion but I hear the love for him but not those who mock him or talk behind his back. Why they would want to support them , it's hard for them to separate the love they feel and wanting to to good but read the horrible things in many articles, discussions on TV and on youtube etc. That is not Christian.

KnightofChrist
4 hours ago, debc said:

Pope Francis is a lot like Jesus, wanting to unite and have us love each other and help each other.

Mother Angelica was a good nun but as she got older, she got more strict and as Raymond Arroyo said, "more impatient, more dooms day" and when her final stroke came, she changed again. She was afraid of change but obeyed the Pope. When John Paul ll said alter girls were okay after she hated the idea, she said she would say it no more. That was it. Altar girls don't make girls want to be priests, they like helping and I've seen decades of them in my life. Things like that divide the church, when someone wont yield because "It always was this way"  The fear evoked just from something as minor as that was another crack.

This Pope has brought many back to see the church, to at least listen when they had shut off their ears, but the ultra conservatives will drive some of them away again. My opinion but I hear the love for him but not those who mock him or talk behind his back. Why they would want to support them , it's hard for them to separate the love they feel and wanting to to good but read the horrible things in many articles, discussions on TV and on youtube etc. That is not Christian.

But does EWTN actually do the devil's work?

EWTN has people that say things that are

4 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

But does EWTN actually do the devil's work?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/davearmstrong/2021/09/pope-francis-did-not-say-ewtn-work-of-the-devil.html

He never said that, but people who go on or do shows there or interviews have. Anything he says or does becomes fodder for the next video or talk show. I heard a Catholic channel talk for days about where ashes should go, who is being allowed to put them on the forehead vs another place. (although not a new thing elsewhere) I heard a Catholic radio show ask people to call in with what was going on at their parish with Covid and masks. This is not what Jesus would care about, Why is this? No one else sees this as odd?  I feel our religion is more than rubrics, you need commandments, you need to know sin, but you need to love more, serve mankind, look outside of yourself and say more than words. Words and doing a routine doesn't make you holy. I have heard a lot of criticism and veiled criticism of Pope Francis with no real basis. I have turned off EWTN, stopped videos from Catholic hosts on you tube. There are so many articles by "conservatives" saying he isn't Pope, it's just awful. I hope Jesus blesses him even more when he is turning cheeks.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:21 AM, debc said:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/davearmstrong/2021/09/pope-francis-did-not-say-ewtn-work-of-the-devil.html

He never said that, but people who go on or do shows there or interviews have. Anything he says or does becomes fodder for the next video or talk show.

True, but what Pope Francis said and intended does not actually matter.

What matters is that we prefer the TLM over the NO, we don't like Pope Francis because he does not agree with us, and what he said gives us an opportunity to criticize him, fair or unfair.

I heard a Catholic channel talk for days about where ashes should go, who is being allowed to put them on the forehead vs another place. (although not a new thing elsewhere) I heard a Catholic radio show ask people to call in with what was going on at their parish with Covid and masks. This is not what Jesus would care about, Why is this? No one else sees this as odd?  I feel our religion is more than rubrics, you need commandments, you need to know sin, but you need to love more, serve mankind, look outside of yourself and say more than words. Words and doing a routine doesn't make you holy. I have heard a lot of criticism and veiled criticism of Pope Francis with no real basis. I have turned off EWTN, stopped videos from Catholic hosts on you tube. There are so many articles by "conservatives" saying he isn't Pope, it's just awful. I hope Jesus blesses him even more when he is turning cheeks.

Well, I wouldn't say "conservatives". I consider myself a conservative.

What we are talking about is a subset of "trads". There's a group of young guys at my Church like this and they are quite annoying. If you get anywhere near the topic of the Mass they'll start ranting off a long laundry list of things that they think are defective about the NO, and why its done better in the TLM. If you even try to explain the reason why its done differently in the NO, they'll get into a huge argument with you. They can't accept that there are different ways of doing things that are both good. It has to be their way or the highway. A lot of these guys are extremely prideful and judgmental, they just don't realize it. They seem to think they know everything, and I do suspect that this is a big part of the reason the TLM has become popular with a them. They seem to use it as an opportunity to say "I know better than you."

KnightofChrist

He never said that, but people who go on or do shows there or interviews have. Anything he says or does becomes fodder for the next video or talk show. I heard a Catholic channel talk for days about where ashes should go, who is being allowed to put them on the forehead vs another place. (although not a new thing elsewhere) I heard a Catholic radio show ask people to call in with what was going on at their parish with Covid and masks. This is not what Jesus would care about, Why is this? No one else sees this as odd?  I feel our religion is more than rubrics, you need commandments, you need to know sin, but you need to love more, serve mankind, look outside of yourself and say more than words. Words and doing a routine doesn't make you holy. I have heard a lot of criticism and veiled criticism of Pope Francis with no real basis. I have turned off EWTN, stopped videos from Catholic hosts on you tube. There are so many articles by "conservatives" saying he isn't Pope, it's just awful. I hope Jesus blesses him even more when he is turning cheeks.

The article from Pathos neglected to mention that many liberal leaning Catholic personalities and outlets also believe Pope Francis meant EWTN. Some on the left happy to make digs and hahaha towards EWTN. 

I'm guessing this is a lot like those on the far left hate Fox News, and those on the far right hate CNN. When honestly, normal people can read/watch both while understanding yes they're bias but not the devil. 

ReasonableFaith
2 hours ago, Peace said:

What we are talking about is a subset of "trads". There's a group of young guys at my Church like this and they are quite annoying. If you get anywhere near the topic of the Mass they'll start ranting off a long laundry list of things that they think are defective about the NO, and why its done better in the TLM. If you even try to explain the reason why its done differently in the NO, they'll get into a huge argument with you. They can't accept that there are different ways of doing things that are both good. It has to be their way or the highway. A lot of these guys are extremely prideful and judgmental, they just don't realize it. They seem to think they know everything, and I do suspect that this is a big part of the reason the TLM has become popular with a them. They seem to use it as an opportunity to say "I know better than you."

There is certainly a subset of so called ‘traditionalist’ which uses the 1962 missal as a cudgel against those they believe are not practicing ‘the true faith.’  

I have personally fielded the complaints from some so called ‘traditionalist’ after a more ‘progressive,’ Paul VI Missal worshiping group arranged liturgical worship largely in Latin and with some archaic accoutrements. They expressed dismay over their ‘stolen’ shibboleths. Quite frankly it made me rather a fan of the appropriation of such shibboleths if only to show their potentially divisive use by some rather than their ‘properness’ to authentic worship. 

Edited by ReasonableFaith
Typo

KnightofChrist
25 minutes ago, ardillacid said:

Seems passive aggressive to me. 

Can Catholics criticize the pope? 

It seems he said on one hand, one can critique him because is a sinner, but on the other hand, one cannot critique him because he is the church.

7 hours ago, ardillacid said:

Seems passive aggressive to me. 

Can Catholics criticize the pope? 

Here's what Fr. Kirby said in a homily regarding one of Pope Francis' statements on civil unions:  

They deserve to be legally covered outside the church. Gay couples have been denied seeing each other in hospital's years ago and they shouldn't be kicked out of homes. (although that choice is the parents) He is talking of love, this priest isn't. Not all gay couples are Catholic. He is not allowing them to be married in the church, even blessed, but as human beings, they should be allowed to have health insurance together and other civil laws. That is fair.

I know gay couples that have been together 20-30 years and they should have the right to make decisions for each other and share insurance. (which they do) That is all he meant.

I've read stories of parents and mothers who disowned children who were gay, burned their things, ignored attempts years later to see them. Shockingly lack of Christian love and I feel others just don't get it.

This priest can talk of novenas and prayer but dissing the Pope on the pulpit, is shocking.