fides' Jack

2 hours ago, ardillacid said:

Trust the science! 

0BEB2421-B28E-4CC0-AB07-67AEC873EC10.jpeg

Oops 

AB3315C6-2F7A-45BF-8279-C7B25A51048A.jpeg

Double oops 

338300DB-24A2-4B8E-A6FF-57A3A31C6196.jpeg

I'm not sure how you can blame the food guide pyramid for obesity. Outdated now, yes, but people that got fat over that period of time was largely due to eating in excess and living sedentary lifestyles, same as now. If people actually tracked what they ate and paid any attention to their packaging they'd know what an actual "serving" was. 

Watched the video yesterday.

There is so BS propaganda included, and has to sniff through.  I find that unfortunate as to me, its a discrediting element to the video which would otherwise present some compelling facts that beg explanation.

Some of these key points is the sudden change of medical definitions and the seemingly arbitrary demonising of hydroxychloriquine.

Unfortunately i am guessing it will take a good decade before everything is clear in this collasal mess.

23 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

I'm not sure how you can blame the food guide pyramid for obesity. Outdated now, yes, but people that got fat over that period of time was largely due to eating in excess and living sedentary lifestyles, same as now. If people actually tracked what they ate and paid any attention to their packaging they'd know what an actual "serving" was. 

Well I'm not convinced that being sedentary is the reason. I think you have seen kind of a "gym craze" or an "exercise craze" starting from the 1980's or so that you did not see in times past. I'd be willing to bet that people get more solid exercise in today than back in the 1950's or 1960's when folks were thinner. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to see if there is any hard data on that.

For example, increased exercise as of late does not appear to have had any effect on obesity levels:

https://qz.com/1230097/new-cdc-report-shows-americans-exercise-more-than-ever-but-the-obesity-rate-is-growing/

As for "eating in excess" - well the problem with the food pyramid is that it causes people to eat in excess. Most of the foods at the bottom of the pyramid are not satiating and they spike insulin levels fast. You eat them, and then just a short time period again you are hungry again, because the foods are not satiating. Also, the foods near the bottom of the pyramid tend to be very bland, and they are not nutritious. So instead of people eating a piece of fatty piece of meat, which is very flavorful, the food producers ended up creating all of these freak processed foods which have tons of sugar and all types of unnatural ingredients pumped into them, to make them taste better.

I don't think its just a coincidence that obesity levels started to skyrocket at the same time that the food pyramid was introduced:

US-Obesity-Epidemic.jpg

Edited by Peace

10 minutes ago, Peace said:

Well I'm not convinced that being sedentary is the reason. I think you have seen kind of a "gym craze" or an "exercise craze" starting from the 1980's or so that you did not see in times past. I'd be willing to bet that people get more solid exercise in today than back in the 1950's or 1960's when folks were thinner. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to see if there is any hard data on that.

As for "eating in excess" - well the problem with the food pyramid is that it causes people to eat in excess. Most of the foods at the bottom of the pyramid are not satiating and they spike insulin levels fast. You eat them, and then just a short time period again you are hungry again, because the foods are not satiating. Also, the foods near the bottom of the period tend to be very bland, and they are not nutritious. So instead of people eating a piece of fatty piece of meat, which is very flavorful, the food producers ended up creating all of these freak processed foods which have tons of sugar and all types of unnatural ingredients pumped into them, to make them taste better.

I don't think its just a coincidence that obesity levels started to skyrocket at the same time that the food pyramid was introduced:

US-Obesity-Epidemic.jpg

I did say that the pyramid/carb based diet was outdated. There are plenty of other factors as to why Americans have become obese, and I seriously doubt that most Americans really paid much attention to the pyramid. They also recommend a 2000 calorie diet, which people clearly haven't adhered to either.  

My overall point is that I don't think really accurate to just blame the government and whatever science is claimed to be the standards at the time and to not factor lifestyle and personal responsibility into the whole equation. 

1 hour ago, Ash Wednesday said:

I did say that the pyramid/carb based diet was outdated. There are plenty of other factors as to why Americans have become obese, and I seriously doubt that most Americans really paid much attention to the pyramid. They also recommend a 2000 calorie diet, which people clearly haven't adhered to either.  

You could be right. At least for me I grew up in the 1980's. I definitely remember being introduced to the pyramid in school when I was young, and for most of my life up until a few years ago I thought that was the proper or healthiest way to eat. But it could be different for other folks.

I'm not sure if it is just the pyramid per say, but also the effect that the food pyramid has had on the food options that are available to us, and that are market to us.

I would say that a large effect of the food pyramid has been the rise of processed foods that contain tons of sugar. Companies took all the fat out of food to meet the heart-healthy guidelines or whatnot, but replaced the fat with sugar to make the food taste better.

It's like whenever you go to a grocery store, 90% of the items in the store come in a package, and most are packed with tons of added sugar. I'd see the 0% fat and the big heart label on the box of Raisin Bran or whatever and think that it was a very healthy thing to eat because it was low in fat, not realizing that the box is packed with tons of sugar. One cup of this stuff has like 20 grams of added sugar. It's only been the past few years where I would look at something like a jar of tomato pasta sauce, which I thought was healthy, and then realize how much sugar is actually packed into it. In a lot of cases I thought I was eating healthy when I was not, because I had bad information.

I'd say that's probably been the large-scale effect of the regulations.

1 hour ago, Ash Wednesday said:

My overall point is that I don't think really accurate to just blame the government and whatever science is claimed to be the standards at the time and to not factor lifestyle and personal responsibility into the whole equation. 

When we see obesity skyrocket among the whole society in only a few decades, I have trouble chalking that up to personal responsibility. It's not like folks in the 1950's and 1960's cared about their health, and then one day in the 1980's everybody just said "screw it" and stopped caring about their health and became lazy, you know? I've definitely run into a lot of people who care a lot about their health, you always see them on the treadmill or obsessing about what their diet, but they never seem to lose any weight. I think a lot of it is that they are following a plan that is destined for failure. . .

But that's just my 2 cents on it. I can agree with you that its a combination of factors. Lifestyle definitely matters, and I think you are right that we can't simply place all of the blame on the government.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 1:18 PM, ardillacid said:

Trust the science! 

0BEB2421-B28E-4CC0-AB07-67AEC873EC10.jpeg

Oops 

AB3315C6-2F7A-45BF-8279-C7B25A51048A.jpeg

Double oops 

It's a lot more complicated than you posting the pyramid and a picture of an obese individual. The pyramid is a guideline and is outdated. And yes, we should get our vaccines and wear our masks.