An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names

StrivingForSanctity

StrivingForSanctity

Hello all!
I enter the Postulancy next year, so I've been having a small think of what name I would like to eventually take. 
I really like 'Sr. Maria-Rose of the Sacred Heart'. 

I'm curious - If you were to enter the Religious Life, which name would you take?

1 hour ago, StrivingForSanctity said:

Hello all!
I enter the Postulancy next year, so I've been having a small think of what name I would like to eventually take. 
I really like 'Sr. Maria-Rose of the Sacred Heart'. 

I'm curious - If you were to enter the Religious Life, which name would you take?

Many, perhaps most, these days  have members keep their baptismal names.

Congrats on entering the postulancy- that's so exciting! Can I ask where you're entering at? 

I think I'd like to take a name that has is historical. Like if it was the Dominicans I'd like to take Diana or Jordan or if the Poor Clares maybe Agnes. A name that is in the tradition and of sisters or brothers who lived the life before me and can pray for me and I pray to them! A special namesake and relationship with a patron(ess)! 

Oh or maybe Leonie, after St Therese's sister. She struggled so much and was still considered a saint in her community. Perseverance!

6 minutes ago, Tessa said:

Congrats on entering the postulancy- that's so exciting! Can I ask where you're entering at? 

I think I'd like to take a name that has is historical. Like if it was the Dominicans I'd like to take Diana or Jordan or if the Poor Clares maybe Agnes. A name that is in the tradition and of sisters or brothers who lived the life before me and can pray for me and I pray to them! A special namesake and relationship with a patron(ess)! 

Oh or maybe Leonie, after St Therese's sister. She struggled so much and was still considered a saint in her community. Perseverance!

Sorry I read some former posts and I see that you're going to Carmel! Maybe you could take Marie, again Therese's older sister and for our Lady, both and similar too, to Maria.

It is nice to show docility too and see what the superior wants to name you. This happened my friend and she was more at peace with the superiors choice than her own suggestion after an initial doubt!

I was delighted that I was able to have a religious name. I chose Colette, since she established the strict observance of Poor Clares (and was quite a character... I never was cloistered, but loved her independence and versatility), and Elizabeth, since it means "God's promise/consecrated to God' in Hebrew. 

Yes, I know all about the 'calling of baptism' - but I think Religious should have the option of choosing a name.

BTW - my title is 'of the Good Shepherd.' Maria Rose of the Sacred Heart is a lovely name.

Sponsa-Christi

I have been a consecrated virgin since 2009, and I am happy in my vocation, so I will not be taking a religious name unless God really has a big surprise in store for me! 

But just as a fun thought experiment, I always thought that I would take "Genevieve," as a variation of my baptismal name (Jenna). So something like "Sr. Maria Genevieve" or "Genevieve Mary." For a title, I think it would be "of the Cross"; but given my "first" vocation maybe "of Christ the Bridegroom" or "of the Lamb of God" (since consecrated virgins "follow the Lamb wherever he goes!")

Anyway, congratulations on taking the first step into postulancy! :) 

Sister Leticia
3 hours ago, gloriana35 said:

Yes, I know all about the 'calling of baptism' - but I think Religious should have the option of choosing a name.

Unless you're a Religious of the Sacred Heart! RSCJ have never changed their names, and in some countries they are still known, as all our sisters used to be, as Sister Surname. Here in England we generally use our first names, like religious in other orders. So, we've never lost/stopped using our baptismal names. 

And no, I don't spend time imagining which saint I'd prefer to be named after - I'm more than happy with my baptismal name! 

Is it common that people choose their religious names themselves (or choose to keep their baptismal name)? I thought that this is the decision of the superior - at the only occasion I was close enough, the postulant was asked to send three names to the superior, together with reasons why she would choose them, they also talked about this. And then, during the ceremony of the entrance into the novitiate, the superior gave a little speech in which the name was revealed to everyone, including the new novice.

This is entirely dependent on community. So if this interests you with a community you’re discerning, just ask them. 

Just as a fun exercise I've always thought Mariana Simone of the Presentation would be a cool name. Mary + Anna + an anagram of Simeon! And the presentation, a favorite feast. 

When religious names were a standard practise, it did vary according to community. In some cases, one had no choice - I knew some Sisters, originally from Poland, who had some really dreadful names, which were of obscure Polish saints (of whom I'd never heard.) In Italy, many friars and Franciscan Sisters had 'surprise' names imposed by the superior, often of obscure Franciscan saints. (Franciscans top the world for their number of beati and heretics.) :)

In some communities, Sisters could submit a choice of three names. Though there was no guarantee, they usually received one of the three. After keeping baptismal names became common (in England, most of us had saints' names... but Sister Lynne or Ruby or Tracy did seem odd...), one community I know allowed Sisters to add a patron of their choice to their baptismal name. One Sister I knew, born Joanna, chose the name of a foundress (Barbara) - and, though officially she was Barbara Joanna, she was called Barbara.

The Dominican Sisters of St Joseph (whom some of you know, or know of) in Ireland have some odd names - I don't know if the Sister chooses, or if the names are chosen for them. Their latest was Sr Cooey - patron from County Down. They have a good sense of humour, and I mentioned online that, though I know many people from Ireland, I don't believe I know anyone from County Down. I was glad they mentioned the patron, because my initial reaction was 'that's even worse than Carino!', the name of the last novice before her. ;)

I tend to forget that not everyone had a deep reason for choosing a name, as I did. Some took names of parents, or of a priest or Sister they'd known. Had I had the bad luck to be (as one Sister I know was) Sister Mary Crucifix, I don't think I'd have been thrilled. 

1 hour ago, gloriana35 said:

I tend to forget that not everyone had a deep reason for choosing a name, as I did. Some took names of parents, or of a priest or Sister they'd known. Had I had the bad luck to be (as one Sister I know was) Sister Mary Crucifix, I don't think I'd have been thrilled. 

Two of the first 5 Holy Cross sisters in the US were Sister Mary of the Five Wounds and Sister Mary of the Circumcision--known in community as "Sister Five Wounds" and "Sister Circumcision." UGH.

Again, not all communities take religious names. In some, this has not been done for over half a century--and, as Sister Leticia points out, some have never done so. Regardless, the name is hardly a major part of a vocation; like the particular habit (or no habit at all), it is an incidental. In discerning a vocation, prayer, spirituality, charism, etc., are far more important. Focusing on things like this is like someone getting married who is so obsessed with the frills of a wedding that they forget to focus on the lifelong commitment of the marriage.  

Sponsa-Christi
21 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

"Sister Circumcision." UGH

This has got to be the worst religious name of all time! LOL!

Three of my aunts were School Sisters of St. Francis in Milwaukee with the names Antonelda, Berthildis, and Elma. Don’t know if they had any choice.

I have a friend who was named "Leonilda" in her community. She swore she would leave if they didn't have the choice of returning to baptismal names by the time of final vows. They did. She stayed--I think she was only half joking when she told me this.