An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names

StrivingForSanctity

On 12/15/2021 at 7:12 PM, JHFamily said:

Some use a combination of baptismal name with a newly chosen name. I think that's a nice touch.

It was especially nice when Sisters could choose a patron, and have their baptismal name as a second name (though they'd be addressed by the first.) 

On 10/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, StrivingForSanctity said:

Hello all!
I enter the Postulancy next year, so I've been having a small think of what name I would like to eventually take. 
I really like 'Sr. Maria-Rose of the Sacred Heart'. 

I'm curious - If you were to enter the Religious Life, which name would you take?

My first dog was named Shadrach.

I'm just saying.

1 hour ago, Peace said:

My first dog was named Shadrach.

I'm just saying.

Hopefully you called your first cat Nebuchadnezzar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 7:11 AM, Feankie said:

if you do a search, there is a old thread that discusses this issue :))

Yes! And here is just one of them!

Listed under this topic title

*Religious Names And Orders*

Posted on January 2, 2009

On 12/14/2021 at 12:31 PM, GraceUk said:

I think sister Polycarp must be the worst name ever. 

Personally...I think "Agatha" and "Agnus" and "Gertrude" are better suited for chicken names, than religious!  To me..there is nothing "holy" about them!

Just my opinion!

This is not related to religious names - it just made me smile. I know a young couple, where the wife is an Anglican priest, the husband, a very distinguished musician. For all of my love of liturgical music, I thought it unfortunate that they named their son "Tallis." Their daughter, more's the pity, is "Tabitha." My friend's cat is named that (the inside joke is "Tabby," of course) - I thought it wasn't a bad name... for  a cat! :)

magdalenepenitent

I admit that I have a page written in pink gel pen of all the religious names I’ve considered, like a 12 year old girl with a crush writing her married name. Ultimately I know that Mother Superior chooses the name from my short list, but it’s fun brainstorming. I’d love to choose something related to Servant of God Léonie Martin, who I relate to heavily, but I don’t know if it would be approved since she’s not Ven. or St. yet—though her religious name was Françoise Thérèse, so I’ve written down a few variations on that. Except for my mother and siblings, every woman in my family has had Mary or some variation in their full name, and I could  honor them with Miriam or Marion (I personally ended up with a classic Mary in my name). 

Leonie is a popular name in France and Belgium. It is a feminine form of Leo - there would be no reason someone could not have that name in religion. 

Credo in Deum

I would ask my superior if they could have the brothers/friars throw their recommendations in a cowl and whichever one was picked, I would take it. 

I’m sure if it was the Franciscans they would write “Br Ass”! 

Edited by Credo in Deum