Visitations of orders with the EF?

AVEBVM

The Carmels in Traverse City, MI , Buffalo, NY and I’m pretty sure Littleton, CO now all have the EF Mass all of the time, so it may be good to write them also and get their perspective on what is happening.  (I think Alexandria, SD has the EF now always too, possibly Brooklyn which is moving to PA)

I know TC and Buffalo have always been a part of the St. Joseph Association, which has been the most conservative of the different associations in the US. I am not sure what is happening with the association now and there are so many changes since Cor Orans, etc.

But yeah, also in the end, it’s the community Gods calls us to, rather than us deciding where we want to go and all, although that could be an oversimplification, not sure ^_^ I will remember you in prayer!

ps a friend of mine who was in a very good, non-EF Carmel told me the other day the Subprioress cried once in recreation over what was discussed at that 2017 St. Louis meeting. It really isn’t just the EF communities going through trials/being asked to change, etc (I was surprised in that interview with Fr Maximillian that they were told they need to start doing things like teaching, wow)

I have just watched the video which I think dates back to the end  of August so the Visitation will have finished now. Some serious and sobering topics discussed. 

On 10/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, Chiquitunga said:

ps a friend of mine who was in a very good, non-EF Carmel told me the other day the Subprioress cried once in recreation over what was discussed at that 2017 St. Louis meeting. It really isn’t just the EF communities going through trials/being asked to change, etc (I was surprised in that interview with Fr Maximillian that they were told they need to start doing things like teaching, wow)

Again, speculation from outsiders isn't helpful...but I would wonder if "teaching" really means "have an outside apostolate like active Sisters"; or if it was more like: "nuns should be open to doing spiritual direction with laypeople who come to the monastery."

Cor Orans did strongly encourage cloistered nuns to start doing more limited outreach to the faithful and world at large, through things like hosting public holy hours in their extern chapel. I know this was controversial at the time, but in my opinion this falls into the "maybe not what I would have written, but also not a crazy idea" category. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

Again, speculation from outsiders isn't helpful...but I would wonder if "teaching" really means "have an outside apostolate like active Sisters"; or if it was more like: "nuns should be open to doing spiritual direction with laypeople who come to the monastery."

Cor Orans did strongly encourage cloistered nuns to start doing more limited outreach to the faithful and world at large, through things like hosting public holy hours in their extern chapel. I know this was controversial at the time, but in my opinion this falls into the "maybe not what I would have written, but also not a crazy idea" category. 

Thanks Sponsa. Thomas Merton in his book "Contemplation in a World of Action" wrote that contemplatives should reach out from their parlor and share the fruits of their contemplation.  The contemplative nuns I am in touch with are doing this and have been supporting me spiritually and from their parlors for probably 35 years or so.

It is really great to know it is more widespread today.