An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm a newbie here. I would like to know more about Christianity. Thank you!

Luigi

New pham member Judy Hough posted this comment (the title) about a week ago. I replied, saying that's a pretty broad request but that The Pham could probably help her out. 

Since no one else has replied to her in about a week, I thought I'd make it a separate thread so as not to hijack the original thread. 

Judy - what kind of information are you after? 

Pham - who knows evangelization and/or apologetics? 

GO!

The most important place to start is the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. 

A helpful list of books is here: https://blessedisshe.net/blog/10-great-books-for-converts/

I would also suggest Catholicism for Dummies (which is written by a priest).

Catholicism (and really, Christianity) is not just a religion of a book; it's about a relationship with God, even if you do not really know Him too well.  Praying is just a conversation with God - and this can include questions like asking Him to help you know him better. 

Please let us know if there's any particular questions, or if you come from a particular faith background (or none at all). 

• 2 weeks later...
Ash Wednesday

FYI Judy has been reported and banned as a spammer. Which is creepy because some of the posts were a little more convincing than the average spam prior to her then divulging that she knows an online expert with writing college papers.

So in case anyone wonders why "Judy" didn't follow up correspondence, there you go. 

That said at least this thread can be here if someone else doing a search may still benefit from the info. 

On 10/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, Ash Wednesday said:

FYI Judy has been reported and banned as a spammer. Which is creepy because some of the posts were a little more convincing than the average spam prior to her then divulging that she knows an online expert with writing college papers.

I knew it! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, Luigi said:

New pham member Judy Hough posted this comment (the title) about a week ago. I replied, saying that's a pretty broad request but that The Pham could probably help her out. 

Since no one else has replied to her in about a week, I thought I'd make it a separate thread so as not to hijack the original thread. 

Judy - what kind of information are you after? 

Pham - who knows evangelization and/or apologetics? 

GO!

I would suggest that she read "Heaven is for Real" about the near death experience of then three year and ten month old Colton Burpo and watch the movie as well.  Children do a great job of keeping their explanations simple. 

33 minutes ago, Ash Wednesday said:

The reading comprehension and attention span here is amazing.

Thank you.....

speaking of reading I believe that the near death experience account of former Atheist Howard Storm could inspire millions of people to become very zealous Catholics..... or zealous Christians all across the board in the churches that embraced the Alpha Program led by Dr. Nicky Gumble.

Since the opening post is about somebody who apparently is now banned... we may as well see if we can salvage this general idea?

https://near-death.com/howard-storm-nde/

Part four of this webpage seems especially relevant to getting lukewarm Catholics to be on fire again.....

4. The Future of the U.S. and the World

Because of my fear of a nuclear holocaust I asked if there was going to be a nuclear war in the world, and they said no. That astonished me, and I gave them this extensive explanation of how I had lived under the threat of nuclear war. That was one of the reasons I was who I was. I figured, when I was in this life, that it was all sort of hopeless; the world was going to blow up anyway, and nothing made much sense. In that context I felt I could do what I wanted, since nothing mattered.

They said, “No, there isn’t going to be any nuclear war.”

I asked if they were absolutely sure there wasn’t going to be nuclear war. They reassured me again, and I asked them how they could be so sure.

Their response was: “God loves the world.” They told me that at the most, one or two nuclear weapons might go off accidentally, if they weren’t destroyed, but there wouldn’t be a nuclear war.

I then asked them how come there had been so many wars. They said that they allowed those few to happen, out of all the wars that humanity tried to start. Out of all the wars that humans tried to create, they allowed a few, to bring people to their senses and to stop them.

Science, technology, and other benefits, they told me, had been gifts bestowed on humanity by them – through inspiration. People had literally been led to those discoveries, many of which had later been perverted by humanity to use for its own destruction.

We could do too much damage to the planet. And by the planet, they meant all of God’s creation. Not just the people, but the animals, the trees, the birds, the insects, everything.

They explained to me that their concern was for all the people of the world. They weren’t interested in one group getting ahead of other groups. They want every person to consider every other person greater than their own flesh. They want everyone to love everyone else, completely; more, even, than they love themselves. If someone, someplace else in the world hurts, then we should hurt, we should feel their pain. And we should help them. Our planet has evolved to the point, for the first time in our history, that we have the power to do that. We are globally linked. And we could become one people.