An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning without parents' support

FutureMoniale

I agree, a degree is never or rarely wasted. You learn a lot about yourself and how to write, think and debate. Being kept in a bubble might make things easier for many but it's not real life. You can help many orders in many ways knowing accounting, business, teaching or nursing, so many things.

I found it odd a Dominican order in USA sometimes in vocation stories, would discourage some from finishing their education, even if 2 or 3 years in! Are you that afraid they will change their minds? Wouldn't it be better in getting teaching degree if they have a degree not funded by benefactors? I wondered how those out of high school get a degree in teaching when they have no college experience at all?

I've noticed and it's been noted 40-50% of novices leave most orders normally which is fine, some first year, some later, one Dominican (Ann Arbor) was after 4 years I think. Her sister said she discerned she was to be married and did do that. Having an education will never hurt anyone and it makes getting masters etc easier. Most people find getting scholarships much harder when not a younger student and "going back" much more expensive. I understand both sides but I don't think women are that different from men, that they can't find God in different paths. There is a fear factor with women I don't see with men. I do respect orders that want women to be older or go to college and maybe more settled and mature. Your not in love with the idea, it's a desire that wont leave your heart.

Edited by debc