An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dan Schutte Is Gay

pionono

What happened to Gregorian chants and Latin hymns that we never use anymore. Only occasionally does my choir (once a month) sing good Latin hymns. :sadder:

norseman,

I don't think he is a Jesuit anymore so royalties go to him. He is no longer affiliated with the order.

ryanmyersmusic,

Thanks for that list. Saves me the trouble of having to look them up. What a list!!

sigga,

The protestant songs should be thrown on the fire right next to Schutte's stuff. And he is no longer a sanctioned priest. He left the Jesuits.

shelly_freak

I do truly believe God made him gay. As I like to say there's a reason for everything

i hate when i have defend gay/lesbians in the past and because of it been called a lesbian, i just feel very stringly that these people are really no different than you and I. one of my pest friends is gay but that doesn't make him a bad person.

Mickey's_Girl

[quote name='pionono' date='Jul 11 2004, 12:06 AM'] He is gay. His music is gay. [/quote]
I'm a new convert, so I can't speak to the quality of the man's music (I don't know any of it), but I was wondering:

How can music "be gay"?

[b]Lyrics[/b] can promote/celebrate/accept homosexuality...but if the lyrics aren't doing that, I don't see how we can call the song "gay".

Sinful people can still produce worthy works of praise to God. Look at King David: adulterer and murderer, among other things, but he was still considered to be a "man after God's own heart". And his Psalms are in the Bible.

Living a homosexual lifestyle is a sin; I don't debate that. But the fact that Schutte lives one now does not automatically negate all of the music he's ever written.

MG

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 11 2004, 02:25 PM'] What happened to Gregorian chants and Latin hymns that we never use anymore. Only occasionally does my choir (once a month) sing good Latin hymns. :sadder: [/quote]
I would personally like to see a greater use of our rich Latin tradition...I mean...my parish doesn't do ANY Latin...it's disappointing...

I'd want it to be like the EWTN Mass...Kyrie (which is Greek), Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei. The Domine Non Sum Dignus and the Ite would also be nice, but of course, these are just my preferences.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]Lyrics can promote/celebrate/accept homosexuality...but if the lyrics aren't doing that, I don't see how we can call the song "gay".[/quote]

I agree...I don't see how musical tones and melodies can be gay...what does that mean?

"gay" has become an adjective to describe anything that's uncool or.... whoooooooahhhh it's raining outside......... sorry, back on topic.

"Gay" is the all-purpose insult now.

Personally, I like to be a little more creative.

Schutte, Haugan and Haas get way more credit than they deserve. Some of their songs could be classified as "cruel and unusual punishment." :sweat:

I wouldn't mind if we were rid of these songs.. [i]especially[/i] the ones in bold..

Blest Be The Lord
City Of God
Come To The River
[b]Glory And Praise To Our God[/b]
Glory In The Cross
Glory To God
Here I Am, Lord
I Cry To You
Join In The Dance
Let Us Go To The Altar
Like The Deer
Mass Of God's Promise
My Soul Thirsts
Only This I Want
River Of Glory
Send Us Your Spirit
[b]Servant Song[/b] *gags*
Sing A New Song
Sing, O Sing
This Is The Day
[b]Though The Mountains May Fall[/b]
You Are Near

[quote]You know Dan Schutte: he's the composer whose music you hate to hear at Mass.[/quote]

aww, "Here I am Lord" is actually one of my favorite songs. I think it has a very nice and simple message that isn't "gay" by any stretch of the imagination. I was surprised to see this thread, when just today I looked up the lyrics to this song on the internet just because I like it so much. It is a beautiful song.

I like Here I am Lord too! Probably cuz my fave. Catholic singer sings it on his album!! I agree, simple and pretty!

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 11 2004, 03:52 PM']
I agree...I don't see how musical tones and melodies can be gay...what does that mean? [/quote]
I was using the term analogously.

His songs are sappy, cheesy and slightly effiminate. Thus I termed it gay, in this sense.

Also, the vast majority of them simply say nothing. There is no thrological depth to them at all. That's something of a stereotype and perhaps unfair. I should say many of them, perhaps not all.

When I hear them I am tempted to shove sharp objects in my ears. My hell would be listening to Dan Schutte songs for all eternity.

Here is something quite funny:

A Ditty to God (after Dan Schutte's The City of God)

Awake from your slumber, arise from your sleep;
The homily's over, it wasn't too deep.
He spoke of a 'journey', well, what else does he say?
We're all part of a 'story' as we go on our way.

So let's sing a ditty to God,
It's a way we can all be together.
And we'll be the City of God
If we tell his story once more.

We're all part of a journey, to 'I-don't-know-where',
But that isn't important, so long as we're here.
Be part of the story of me and of you,
And don't worry asking if the story is true.

No, just sing a ditty to God,
It would be a pity for God
If we told his story no more.

So come if you're ready, the meek and the smug,
For God is a Teddy, he'll give you a hug.
And take consolation, till next time we meet,
As you go on your journey, God's in the back seat.

So just sing a ditty to God,
It would be a pity for God
If we told his story no more.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='pionono' date='Jul 11 2004, 07:57 PM'] I was using the term analogously.

His songs are sappy, cheesy and slightly effiminate. Thus I termed it gay, in this sense.

Also, the vast majority of them simply say nothing. There is no thrological depth to them at all. That's something of a stereotype and perhaps unfair. I should say many of them, perhaps not all.

When I hear them I am tempted to shove sharp objects in my ears. My hell would be listening to Dan Schutte songs for all eternity. [/quote]
Well, in that case, no, there is not much theological depth at all, or anything like that at all.

Father Abbot Marcel Rooney, former Abbot Primate, was my liturgical theology teacher at seminary...he warned us against sappy music...