An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dan Schutte Is Gay

pionono

[quote name='pionono' date='Jul 11 2004, 07:59 PM'] Here is something quite funny:

A Ditty to God (after Dan Schutte's The City of God)

Awake from your slumber, arise from your sleep;
The homily's over, it wasn't too deep.
He spoke of a 'journey', well, what else does he say?
We're all part of a 'story' as we go on our way.

So let's sing a ditty to God,
It's a way we can all be together.
And we'll be the City of God
If we tell his story once more.

We're all part of a journey, to 'I-don't-know-where',
But that isn't important, so long as we're here.
Be part of the story of me and of you,
And don't worry asking if the story is true.

No, just sing a ditty to God,
It would be a pity for God
If we told his story no more.

So come if you're ready, the meek and the smug,
For God is a Teddy, he'll give you a hug.
And take consolation, till next time we meet,
As you go on your journey, God's in the back seat.

So just sing a ditty to God,
It would be a pity for God
If we told his story no more. [/quote]
I've seen that before, and found it quite humorous. ;)

ryanmeyersmusic

If we're still using "Here I Am, Lord" as the token Schutte song: it doesn't require a great amount of theological depth to convey that God calls and we respond. Most congregations aren't looking to be doused in semantics and theology, and while God has used the intellect of the scholars (eg. St. Thomas Aquinas) he has also used the faith of the simple (eg. St. Juan Diego) as well. I'd say that my congregation holds a faith that runs closer to Juan Diego's than Thomas Aquinas... "Here I Am, Lord" illustrates a call and response better than any liturgical work I've written, and I'd dare say anyone involved in this thread has either.

As for the pompous "Boo Hiss for Haas, Haugan, and Schutte Club": get over it. It's a similar phenomenon to saying "Boo Hiss for N*Sync" because they're selling a lot of records and getting a lot of airplay (if your complaints are with the CONTENT of the presentation, then there may be some substance to them). If that many people are enjoying their music, they must have 1) some sort of mind-control device in their power, or 2) some sort of talent. Not being a conspiracy-theorist I have to tend toward the latter. If countless numbers of Catholics are drawing closer to Christ in the Eucharist while singing these songs, is it right to criticize them because they don't follow the melodic structure that you'd prefer or have learned is "correct"? It's an issue mostly rooted in jealousy (I know that [b]I[/b] don't have any of my texts published in the hymnals), which is something hard to get over.

Finally, a song has no sexual inclination, therefore it can't be deemed "gay" by any stretch of the imagination. A song may have gay themes, but music by its nature is asexual, athiestic, etc. Lyrics have themes, and music can convey feelings, but has no political, religious, or other agenda. I've stated my opinions on this quite a few times before (search my posts, I try to stay away from meaningless ones) so I won't reinvent the wheel.

On a side note, I realized that the liturgy I'd planned early this week for this evening had three songs written by Schutte, including the man target in this thread! A tad of irony, I'd say...

Try reading this:[url="http://www.the-tidings.com/2003/0808/weigel.htm"]George Weigel[/url] it's a really good article about the meaning of some of the songs we sing without even thinking

Thanks Ryan! That was really good!

[quote]If we're still using "Here I Am, Lord" as the token Schutte song: it doesn't require a great amount of theological depth to convey that God calls and we respond. Most congregations aren't looking to be doused in semantics and theology, and while God has used the intellect of the scholars (eg. St. Thomas Aquinas) he has also used the faith of the simple (eg. St. Juan Diego) as well. I'd say that my congregation holds a faith that runs closer to Juan Diego's than Thomas Aquinas... "Here I Am, Lord" illustrates a call and response better than any liturgical work I've written, and I'd dare say anyone involved in this thread has either.

As for the pompous "Boo Hiss for Haas, Haugan, and Schutte Club": get over it. It's a similar phenomenon to saying "Boo Hiss for N*Sync" because they're selling a lot of records and getting a lot of airplay (if your complaints are with the CONTENT of the presentation, then there may be some substance to them). If that many people are enjoying their music, they must have 1) some sort of mind-control device in their power, or 2) some sort of talent. Not being a conspiracy-theorist I have to tend toward the latter. If countless numbers of Catholics are drawing closer to Christ in the Eucharist while singing these songs, is it right to criticize them because they don't follow the melodic structure that you'd prefer or have learned is "correct"? It's an issue mostly rooted in jealousy (I know that I don't have any of my texts published in the hymnals), which is something hard to get over.

Finally, a song has no sexual inclination, therefore it can't be deemed "gay" by any stretch of the imagination. A song may have gay themes, but music by its nature is asexual, athiestic, etc. Lyrics have themes, and music can convey feelings, but has no political, religious, or other agenda. I've stated my opinions on this quite a few times before (search my posts, I try to stay away from meaningless ones) so I won't reinvent the wheel.

On a side note, I realized that the liturgy I'd planned early this week for this evening had three songs written by Schutte, including the man target in this thread! A tad of irony, I'd say... [/quote]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cappie' date='Jul 11 2004, 07:38 PM'] Try reading this:[url="http://www.the-tidings.com/2003/0808/weigel.htm"]George Weigel[/url] it's a really good article about the meaning of some of the songs we sing without even thinking [/quote]
Thanks, cappie... very interesting....

I hate singing in Jesus' voice... if you know what I mean... I am not familiar enough with the Catholic hymns yet, though... sometimes I get halfway into a hymn and realize "carp... one of those"... <_<

There are so many beautiful, meaningful hymns... why go slumming?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 11 2004, 08:49 PM'] There are so many beautiful, meaningful hymns... why go slumming? [/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My choir director had never even heard of "O Lord I am Not Worthy"

Now THAT'S a great song!!!

O Lord, I am not worthy
That Thou shouldst come to me
But speak the words of comfort
My spirit healed shall be

And humbly I'll receive Thee
The Bridegroom of my soul
No more by sin to grieve Thee
Or fly Thy sweet control

ryanmeyersmusic

This is in the tradition of the Psalms...

Example:
[quote name='Psalm 81']
7 I relieved their shoulders of the burden; their hands put down the basket.
8 In distress you called and I rescued you; unseen, I spoke to you in thunder; At the waters of Meribah I tested you and said: Selah
9 'Listen, my people, I give you warning! If only you will obey me, Israel!
10 There must be no foreign god among you; you must not worship an alien god.
11 I, the LORD, am your God, who brought you up from the land of Egypt. Open wide your mouth that I may fill it.'
12 But my people did not listen to my words; Israel did not obey me.
13 So I gave them over to hardness of heart; they followed their own designs.
14 But even now if my people would listen, if Israel would walk in my paths,
15 In a moment I would subdue their foes, against their enemies unleash my hand.
16 Those who hate the LORD would tremble, their doom sealed forever.
17 But Israel I would feed with the finest wheat, satisfy them with honey from the rock.
[/quote]

It's only one of many examples of Psalms (our model for liturgical music, in all reality) that have God speaking in the first person.

[quote name='ryanmeyersmusic' date='Jul 11 2004, 07:38 PM'] If we're still using "Here I Am, Lord" as the token Schutte song: it doesn't require a great amount of theological depth to convey that God calls and we respond. Most congregations aren't looking to be doused in semantics and theology, and while God has used the intellect of the scholars (eg. St. Thomas Aquinas) he has also used the faith of the simple (eg. St. Juan Diego) as well. I'd say that my congregation holds a faith that runs closer to Juan Diego's than Thomas Aquinas... "Here I Am, Lord" illustrates a call and response better than any liturgical work I've written, and I'd dare say anyone involved in this thread has either.

As for the pompous "Boo Hiss for Haas, Haugan, and Schutte Club": get over it. It's a similar phenomenon to saying "Boo Hiss for N*Sync" because they're selling a lot of records and getting a lot of airplay (if your complaints are with the CONTENT of the presentation, then there may be some substance to them). If that many people are enjoying their music, they must have 1) some sort of mind-control device in their power, or 2) some sort of talent. Not being a conspiracy-theorist I have to tend toward the latter. If countless numbers of Catholics are drawing closer to Christ in the Eucharist while singing these songs, is it right to criticize them because they don't follow the melodic structure that you'd prefer or have learned is "correct"? It's an issue mostly rooted in jealousy (I know that [b]I[/b] don't have any of my texts published in the hymnals), which is something hard to get over.

On a side note, I realized that the liturgy I'd planned early this week for this evening had three songs written by Schutte, including the man target in this thread! A tad of irony, I'd say... [/quote]
Amen!

homeschoolmom

[quote name='ryanmeyersmusic' date='Jul 11 2004, 08:22 PM'] This is in the tradition of the Psalms...
<snip>

It's only one of many examples of Psalms (our model for liturgical music, in all reality) that have God speaking in the first person. [/quote]
Hmmm... I never thought about it that way. I guess I'm just freaked out a little when I feel that I am putting words into God's mouth.

Maybe that's just me... :huh:

ryanmeyersmusic

admittedly, it's dangerous- you have to be very careful that what you have God saying is what He's said through Scripture, albeit in different words... But it is a tradition heavily founded in the Word of God.

I have no problem singing the psalms whether at Mass or during the Liturgy of the Hours, they are the inspired Word of God. I know of no song that can make a similar claim

littleflower+JMJ

im closing this thread since i see no good fruit from it and it really shouldn't be taking place.

both sides have been taken care of concerning the music and the phorum will not be a place to cause scandal that can easily be taken as gossip. (uncharitable comments have been made and there is no source to this)

lets just say a prayer for him. :)

+JMJ+