Jump to content

Final Solution for 'AntiVaxxers'?


KnightofChrist

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

It's too bad that Trump didn't suspend civil liberties, like the tyrant he was accused of being then more people might care. Or if Trudeau was right-wing cracking down on liberal protesters, maybe?

Going after the bank accounts of accused protesters will likely cause lack of confidence in Canadian banks. There's no due process to it, or rule of law, just the whims of those in charge, and will likely balloon to target other political enemies. It is doubtful it will be temporary. And it looks like the Liberal and NDP parties will approve Trudeau's power grab. 

The Liberal party members do not really have a choice. They would likely be kicked out of caucus if they do not vote on the party line. Party discipline is a bigger thing here in most cases, and the PM is a sitting member of the House of Commons and leader of his party.

This is certainly a confidence vote - if it were to be defeated (which it will not be) then the current government falls, so the Governor General would either invite a coalition to form government, or dissolve Parliament and call an election.

Edited by Nihil Obstat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

The Liberal party members do not really have a choice. They would likely be kicked out of caucus if they do not vote on the party line. Party discipline is a bigger thing here in most cases, and the PM is a sitting member of the House of Commons and leader of his party.

This is certainly a confidence vote - if it were to be defeated (which it will not be) then the current government falls, so the Governor General would either invite a coalition to form government, or dissolve Parliament and call an election.

After two years of temporary emergency COVID lockdowns, mandates, etc, how temporary do you believe the Emergency Act will be? How does Canada come back from so easily suspending civil liberties and due process?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

After two years of temporary emergency COVID lockdowns, mandates, etc, how temporary do you believe the Emergency Act will be? How does Canada come back from so easily suspending civil liberties and due process?

I do not think this invocation of the Emergencies Act will amount to much. Trudeau is vulnerable (immediately vulnerable to the NDP or Conservatives thinking they can shift the balance of power with a motion of no confidence, or internally vulnerable to his own party deciding that he has run his course as leader), the NDP gains most of what the Liberal Party loses, and the Conservatives are going to be looking to score points during a new leadership campaign. Anyway on paper the Emergencies Act is still subordinate to the Charter, so any oversteps are open to court challenges and partisan sniping.

Most of the provincial premiers very explicitly do not want any federal interference right now, especially in the west. Jason Kenny, the premier of Alberta would love to restore some of his political capital by making a show of standing up to federal overreach, because anti-federalism always polls well in Alberta and he has been extremely unpopular since COVID started. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are similar, Quebec likes to thumb its nose at the Feds whenever they get the chance, and BC is not really in the mix at the moment.

This is a relatively targeted response to a relatively localized issue. In my mind the only interesting open question right now is whether or not this leaves Trudeau more vulnerable to another election. The Conservative Party will be looking to elect a strong leader who can actually move the needle in an election, but they cannot trigger a confidence vote on their own. Plus the entire party membership votes for a leader, so it might not turn out in a strategically optimal way. To force an election we would need the Conservatives, the NDP, and the Bloc to all vote no-confidence, meaning the NDP AND the Bloc would also need to think that either the Conservatives or the Liberals are weak enough to lose seats and shift the balance of power.

Since we literally just finished an election, I cannot see Trudeau calling one himself any time soon and everyone will be rushing to blame everyone else for triggering a new one. So that will have to be framed strategically as well. Everyone who is not Liberal will want to claim that Trudeau forced them into it, while the Liberals will have to claim that everyone else is greedy and power hungry. Trudeau's last snap election was rightly perceived as a blatant grab for more seats, which backfired dramatically, and frankly the only reason he held on to a minority government is that Erin O'Toole was spectacularly uninspiring and managed to alienate everyone who gave him the leadership in the first place. 

Generally speaking in Canada, things just kind of work in practice even if on paper they really should not. We have all kinds of constitutional crises just waiting to happen. Big, serious ones. Quebec has literally never approved our Constitution in the first place. Things just kind of work anyway.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

My guess is that the people who have to leave their jobs because they don’t have religious exemptions or (hopefully still there) medical exemptions (cause allergies and stuff) is they will face the same things as those who had to leave their jobs to be safer from Covid because of public exposure / pre-existing conditions. Eventually they will get new jobs and this Covid thing will pass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2022 at 10:18 PM, Nihil Obstat said:

[Snip]

Generally speaking in Canada, things just kind of work in practice even if on paper they really should not. We have all kinds of constitutional crises just waiting to happen. Big, serious ones. Quebec has literally never approved our Constitution in the first place. Things just kind of work anyway.

Its high time the rest of Canada make a notion to kick Quebec out of the country.

And I'm saying that as a french speaker BORN in Quebec (nothing there that I brag about).

On 3/31/2022 at 8:32 AM, Anastasia13 said:

My guess is that the people who have to leave their jobs because they don’t have religious exemptions or (hopefully still there) medical exemptions (cause allergies and stuff) is they will face the same things as those who had to leave their jobs to be safer from Covid because of public exposure / pre-existing conditions. Eventually they will get new jobs and this Covid thing will pass.

Covid thing will pass?

Isnt that what Trump said?

There's news saying we are facing a new wave already... On Ontario mask mandates have been dropped yet a bunch of people are still wearing masks in public (so a bunch of people would just love to have the mandates return).  

The mass histeria of Covid, overblown as it has been for most of the Covid history, is not set to pass anytime soon!

(someone, somewhere, has made and keeps making alot of money of this Covid train)

Edited by Didacus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Didacus said:

Its high time the rest of Canada make a notion to kick Quebec out of the country.

And I'm saying that as a french speaker BORN in Quebec (nothing there that I brag about).

Covid thing will pass?

Isnt that what Trump said?

There's news saying we are facing a new wave already... On Ontario mask mandates have been dropped yet a bunch of people are still wearing masks in public (so a bunch of people would just love to have the mandates return).  

The mass histeria of Covid, overblown as it has been for most of the Covid history, is not set to pass anytime soon!

(someone, somewhere, has made and keeps making alot of money of this Covid train)

Re Covid passing. One day it will get better. We are making amazing strides in medical research. Vaccines are getting tested more through time and may be like flu shots, but one day the world will be safer. I don’t think it will happen as fast as Trump made it sound or as fast as many of us hoped, but one day. We are watching it evolve into a milder intensity of disease. Then the long Covid cases will get more recognition, then we will get more immune therapies for it and things will get better. In the mean time, we have to adapt. The world keeps changing, as does the virus, and we follow suit in changing ourselves and how we do things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...